TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Computer Issues - HELP!

I have no idea what happened. One moment I was happily running a game I've run for years without any trouble, and then next - BOOM! The screen partly freezes up/partly goes fuzzy in sections. I do a hard shutdown, then restart only to get this:

So since safe mode didn't work at all for some reason, I have it start up under the last known good configuration. Windows loads with the display settings totally screwed up. I adjust the settings to make my desktop at least legible, but it still looks like this:

Then I try updating the driver for the graphics card, and now Windows won't load at all. I get the first screen and then the monitor reports no signal, and goes blank.

First question obviously is WHAT is going on? Secondly, how in the world do I go about fixing it?

I'm running an old Windows XP Pro Pentium 4 machine with an Nvidia GeForce4 4200. I'm guessing the problem is somewhere in the monitor/graphics card area, especially since the breakdown occured while I was playing the game. Other than that, I have no idea where to even start with this. Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated, but please form your explanations as if you were describing the problem to a 5 year old. I'm not so good with the techie language. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated, but please form your explanations as if you were describing the problem to a 5 year old. I'm not so good with the techie language. Thanks.

Buy a new computer?

But seriously, it could be the video card, motherboard, memory, etc. You'd need to try replacing hardware until you find which is causing the problem. Try putting a different video card in, and see if it fixes it. Try different memory, etc.

But if you're not that technical it might be difficult for you to do this.

If it's old, it might be time for replacing.

Yeah, I've basically figured out that it's not the monitor, or a loose connection somewhere inside the tower.

I'm going to attempt to track down a graphics card identical/similar to the one I have and hope it solves at least the garbled screen problem. Unfortunately that effort might all be a waste if I can't get the OS to load.

• 2 months later...

I could have sworn there was a "Computer Discussion" thread somewhere, but I guess I am going to have to steal this one.

I run Windows Vista x64 and what I think happened is that my computer did one of those stupid shut down/updates that I apparently have no control over except for postponing it, but while I had the computer on sleep mode the computer woke itself up and installed the updates and restarted. Normally I don't have a problem with this except for the 5 fans in my computer waking me up in the middle of the night, but I guess the Windows Messenger updated itself along with all of the other Windows related applications like Hotmail and now I am not receiving any emails in my inbox and all of my contacts have been removed.

This upsets me because I like to keep contact with people through the Windows Messenger who aren't on AIM and now where the hell do my emails go?

My only guess on fixing this is for me to restore my computer previous to the update, but I was interested if anyone else had this problem?

I'm running an old Windows XP Pro Pentium 4 machine with an Nvidia GeForce4 4200. I'm guessing the problem is somewhere in the monitor/graphics card area, especially since the breakdown occured while I was playing the game. Other than that, I have no idea where to even start with this. Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated, but please form your explanations as if you were describing the problem to a 5 year old. I'm not so good with the techie language. Thanks.

Yeah...it's new PC time. What kind of games do you play? Are you willing to jump to Windows 7 or are you happy with XP?

Speaking of which, a decent gaming pc can be had from Newegg at $539.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227241

Consider this if fixing your current PC will end up costing more than getting a new one.

Yeah...it's new PC time. What kind of games do you play? Are you willing to jump to Windows 7 or are you happy with XP?

Speaking of which, a decent gaming pc can be had from Newegg at $539.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227241

Consider this if fixing your current PC will end up costing more than getting a new one.

I don't think the OP needs a new computer. For all we know he probably just uses his computer for taxes.

And if he does need one, he should build it himself and save about 200 bucks over a prebuilt.