TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels, Dorney and SFGAdv

Our trip for September (23rd through 25th) is changing.

Due to outside circumstances our trip is now going to be a "Fun" trip other than a "finding a new place to live" trip. Which has forced us to TOTALLY change our schedule.

Basically looking at the parks in that area only Knoebels, Dorney and SFGAdv are open Saturday and Sunday. On Friday no parks are open except for BGW. Hershey is closed the ENTIRE weekend.

What I want to know are the logistics of doing Knoebels, Dorney and SFGAdv in 2 days. And still being back to Baltimore in time for a 6pm flight on Sunday.

I think we are going to do BGW on Friday morning/afternoon since it's the only park open. Then make our way either to Knoebels/Dorney or SFGAdv (whatever makes the most sense).

So my question is, can this be done? And, if it can, what the best plan of attack is, logistics wise.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Also, if there are other parks that are worth doing that would make our trip not so insane that would be much appreciated as well.

Sucks that SFA isn't open that time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the best way to go to all 3 parks is to do Knoebels and Dorney on Saturday and Great Adventure on Sunday. The water park is closed at that point at Dorney so I don't think it will be that crowded and you should be able to have enough time to go on the rides you want at both parks. Great Adventure always seems to have some lines regardless of when it is so I would try to spend the most time there. It might be difficult to get all the coasters in at Great Adventure though.

I can't think of any other major parks that are worth going to with such limited time. There are some nice parks like Dutch Wonderland and a lot of sea shore parks like the 2 in Ocean City, NJ but none are major and I don't think they are worth going to over a major park.

It's a shame that Hershey closes for the regular season so early compared to the other parks.

Well, here are some things you have to keep in mind:

- BGW to any of those three parks is about 5-6 hours depending on traffic. So whichever one you decided to drive towards on Friday night, they are all about the same.

- BWI is notorious for some of the longest security lines in the country! If your flight is at 6pm, I would plan to be there no later than 4pm.

- Dorney and Knoebels' are roughly 75 minutes apart.

- Dorney to SFGAdv is about 75 minutes.

- Dorney to BWI is about 3 hours.

IMO, why do three parks? Do Dorney and Knoebel's, or Knoebel's and SFGAdv. But not all three. Unless all you want to do is credit whore (and I can appreciate that.)

The problem is going to be that you'll have very little time to do anything on Sunday if you have to catch a 6pm flight, meaning from any of those three parks, I would personally leave by 1pm and that's cutting it close. It's going to be a 3 hour drive from just about any of those parks, and that is if there is no traffic at all, and I really would reccomend getting to the airport at least 90 minutes to 2 hours early.

I would do Knoebel's on the Saturday, then Dorney for a couple hours on Sunday. Dorney sucks, IMO, and you won't need more than a couple of hours there. Get the credits, leave by 1pm and drive to the airport.

That's my advice. Scrap SFGAdv. It's not going anywhere!

--Robb

I agree with Ted (and Robb after editing!) on scrapping Great Adventure. It is a hard park to do in a full day, much less a few hours. I haven't been to Knoebel's, but Dorney wasn't crowded for us at the end of the day (5-close) in June. Busch Gardens will definately be fun. The drive to Knoebel's afterward will be long. Washington DC traffic on a Friday isn't great.

Good luck and have a fun time,

Rick

With a 6pm flight out of BWI I think you need to be REALLY careful about doing any parks on Sunday.

The only way I could see you hitting all 3 would be to:

SFGAd - Saturday 10am -1pm (not enough time), Drive to Knoebels ~4 hours, 3 Hours at Knoebels (not enough time)

Sunday - Dorney for opening for 2-3hours (PLENTY OF TIME!!!) then head off to the airport.

I would do Knoebel's on the Saturday, then Dorney for a couple hours on Sunday. Dorney sucks, IMO, and you won't need more than a couple of hours there. Get the credits, leave by 1pm and drive to the airport.

Right on. This would be my exact same recommendation. If you show up at Dorney at open you will fly through the coasters.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Yeah, I was thinking scrapping SFGAdv would be the most likely park to ditch. We want a full day at Knoebels since we have heard so many great things about it.

So I guess it's BGW on Friday. Not staying until closing and driving to Knoebels. (7 hours ... OUCH) Saturday Knoebels and Sunday Dorney for 2 - 3 hours then to the airport.

Knoebels is not open until 12 on Saturday, would it make more sense to drive 1/2 way to Knoebels on Friday night instead of a 7 hour drive?

And if so, what is a good half way point?

It sucks because if we would have planned this as a "Coaster" trip we would have done it differently.

Oh well.

Sorry for the double post, but had a few more questions.

How many hours do we need at BGW just to ride the coasters, Darkastle and look around. Remember, this is a Friday so I'm not thinking it's going to be THAT busy in the morning/afternoon.

Kristi and I would still like to see DC a bit. So we were thinking of doing BGW on Friday morning/noon until 2pm. Drive up to DC, spend the afternoon/evening checking out DC and stay in that area Friday night.

Get up Saturday go to Knoebels.

Does that make sense?

Also, would it make more sense to skip BGW and change our flights to PHI? Could we squeeze in at least a few hours at SFGAdv if we did this?

Gregg "VERY BAD at solo coaster trips" C.

Remember that Friday traffic is going to suck around DC.

If I was traveling from Cali and only had 2 days, I would probably do the following:

Friday:

DC (National Gallery, Smithsonian, Capital, Monument, Etc)

Get a nice dinner

Do some shopping

Drive to Elysburg

Saturday

Knoebels all day

Sunday

Stop in Dorney for a couple hours in the morning and get the credits

With the time change and everything; Driving down to BGW, sitting in traffic, and then doing DC doesn't sound that appealing.

Just my thoughts.

Ted, What if we did this ...

Changed our flights to PHI, they would get in thursday night at 9:00pm.

Drive to DC Thursday night.

Friday DC stuff drive to Allentown (or somewhere in between).

Saturday AM, Dorney for 3 or so hours then to Knoebels. (Knoebles doesn't open until noon anyway). Knoebels until whenever then drive towards SFGAdv, closing out the park if possible (they are open until 10pm that night).

Sunday, SFGAdv until 3pm then back to PHI for our flights home.

We also get a $60 credit for changing our flights to PHI.

If you're feeling rich you could do the VIP tour at SFGADV on Saturday from 10:00-2:00. Last I heard it's around $50 per person plus admission to the park of course. Hit Knoebels Saturday evening and then Dorney for opening on Sunday morning. Highly recommend the recently renovated Holiday Inn Express across the street from Dorney.

Otherwise you could still do SFGADV Saturday morning without the VIP tour as long as you arrive early and are willing to skip Kingda Ka. But I agree passing on either SFGADV or Dorney would probably result in a more relaxed and fun trip.

Mark

^^ Gregg/Kristi, I guess I'm just not understanding the idea behind cannibalizing time at really good parks you've never been to just to go get more credits. If these were just 'credit run parks' I would totally understand. But trying to do Dorney, Knoebel's and get to SFGadv before closing all in one Saturday just makes no sense to me.

I'm not sure what flight you're taking out of PHL, but the latest southwest flight leaves at 5:45. You'll should leave earlier than 3pm on a Sunday from SFGAdv to make that flight! Getting out of New Jersey and around PHL might only be about 70 miles, but I'd allow 2 hours just in case (keeping in mind that you'll have to return a rental car and you probably won't be able to check in online and have your boarding pass already printed.). The NJ Turnpike can be annoying with people returning from weekend trips. I'm sure the NJ locals will agree that Sunday's are not a good day for the NJ Turnpike. IMO, you'd need to leave SFGadv by 2pm, 2:30 at the very latest and that is cuttiing it close.

While this plan would allow you to see everything, you'd end up having an abbreviated amount of time at Knoebel's, which IMO if you've never been before is not a park you want to run in, get the credits, and run out.

The best idea is really to scrap SFGadv, and spend more time at the other two parks and not make what could be a really nice relaxing weekend rushed and stressfull. I mean, I would tell you if I thought it would be possible and still be fun, because you know the kind of crazy trips we take!

And also to answer the other questions, it's not going to be the easiest thing in the world to do BGW and D.C. in one day, that's near impossible.

IMO, it just sounds like you guys are trying to cram way too much stuff into a 3-day weekend. Pick either BGW or D.C., spend more time at Knoebel's, do a credit run through Dorney, and scrap SFGadv. That's my advice.

--Robb

I'd save both BGW and Washington DC for another time. Both of those places need more time then your allowing (especially DC). Yes, BGW only has six coasters and DarKastle, but it's a beatiful park and it would be a shame to rush that. I'd also recomend at least three days at DC.

I'd also skip SFGrAdv, because it requires more then a couple of hours.

Thanks for the advice Robb, Ted and everybody else.

I think we will just scrap SFGAdv then, that sounds like the most likely candidate for our sanity's sake.

I was just looking at the milage between SFGAdv and PHL and not factoring in the traffic. I don't know why I just assume that no place has traffic like CA and end up not factoring that in.

So I guess we will just do DC stuff on Friday, Knoebels on Saturday and Dorney on Sunday. So then changing the flights from Baltimore to Philadelphia would be a good thing then right?

I guess it's also since we take so few trips we wanted to cram more in to the days than we should try to on a normal trip.

Thanks again everybody.