TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Morocco 2009

Schwarzkopf

So, me and my friend richie are now back from a few days in north Africa, and for once I actually took some pictures!

We arrived first in Marrakech, which was pretty overwhelming, due to the fact that our accomodation was in the Medina (old town) area.

Our room was on top of the roof of the main hostel, and was almost like a shed!

Although, we had our own little terrace/smoking area that was really cool.

The view...

Inside the room

This one isn't turned, but CBA

Now for some night photos, firstly from the market:

...and the Mosque, the tallest building in the city.

We then got the train to Casablanca, which is 4 hours through the Sahara to the North coast. A first class ticket cost just £12!

Castle...

Random buildings in the middle of NOWHERE.

More nothingness:

Despite the laws, staff let passengers smoke in the areas between each car:

When we arrived in Casablanca, I was amazed at how different it is to Marrakech. I knew it was bigger and more modern, but it was a busting cosmopolitan metropolis that felt like it was on a different continent to Marrakech, let alone just a few hours away. The view from our room, we were pretty much at the port:

A slanted picture of the Mosque Hassan II, one of the largest mosques in the world, and the one with the tallest minaret (tower).

Any ideas how tall this is?

Well, for all you coaster geeks, it's taller than any coaster out there at a Whopping 689ft. So... not far off 1 Canada Square!

The forecort reminded me of the Vatican, being open and spacious:

After this we got a bit lost in the Ghetto, looking for the city centre. I don't have any photos of this place (as I was too scared to get the camera out!) but just imagine lots of trashed cars and dodgy people...

We eventually found downtown Casablanca, and I took some urban photos...

Pretty much every car in both cities was parked bumper to bumper!

We then walked to the other side of downtown Casablanca, to see the Twin Center, a set of twin towers that I was interested in when looking at Casablanca online

Standing between them was weird...

Health and Safety pictures <3

A complete set of the Dirham currency... £1 is 12DH.

Daytime Casablanca!

The city operates a two tiered taxi service, petit taxi's for travel within the city, and grande taxis for intercity travel. You can see a petit taxi in this photo...

We popped into McMurder, coz I always have to try new things, they had these fit 'steakhouse' chips:

And 'McArabia', which was like sex in my mouth!

It was unusual that in Morocco, places like McDonalds and KFC were for middle-upper class people, and even in the day they had security. Weird.

As we were flying back to Gatwick from Marrakech, we got the train back to spend another day and night there.

Train station photos...

Back through a tiny tiny tiny (4 hour) portion of the Sahara:

Is that an Oasis?

Maybe...

Our last evening / night in Marrakech!

I love how that guy on the moped is literally squashed between both cars, haha:

Cheeeseeee

Sunset-from-our-terrace-photos:

A street in the Medina at night:

FOOOOD!

I stalked the cute waiter. I want him to be my aladdin <3

My camera can't really take night photos

So, that was the last night, and I got some photos on the last day before heading to the airport!

Our hostel.

DONKEH!

Anyone remember habbo hotel?!?!!?

Monkeys <3 <3

A snake charmer... you can see the snake on the left. I didn't get too close, cus as soon as you take a picture they try and charge you for it.

Random scene outside the taxi window. There are some camels in the far left, but you can't really see them!

I'll finish this trip report with a woman who had a Moroccon 'boyfriend', even though they couldnt' speak a word together. He blates just wants a VISA, and to be honest, she's as rough as nails anyway, so why would you!??!? BTW, that's the 'smoking area' at the airport, and we were evesdropping

I've been abroad many times now, but this was the first time I felt, at several moments, like a terrible person for taking the UK for granted... seeing the way people in a developing country like Morocco (more so Marrakech than Casablanca) struggle their way through life whilst we have a more hedonistic approach to things really opened my eyes, and I think everybody should experience it (or something like it).

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been abroad many times now, but this was the first time I felt, at several moments, like a terrible person for taking the UK for granted... seeing the way people in a developing country like Morocco (more so Marrakech than Casablanca) struggle their way through life whilst we have a more hedonistic approach to things really opened my eyes, and I think everybody should experience it (or something like it).

That's so true. It's amazing how we take even the smallest things for granted, like every day things. Water is my biggest thing. I will never again, complain about tap water, or anything like that, after going to/living in a place with no easy access to fresh water. It's incredible.

Awesome trip report though. The pictures are wonderful. You should frame some of those of the mosque. Simply wonderful. You're a lucky guy to have had that opportunity.