TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Great video of Oasis clearing the Great Belt Bridge

SharkTums

A few of you know that I'm also VERY into cruise ships and cruising. Well, the new World's largest cruise ship is on it's way to Florida but first it had to pass under the Great Belt Bridge which connects Denmark to Sweden.

Normal clearance of the bridge is 65m and Oasis is 72m tall! They had to retract the funnels a bit, wait for low tide, and haul ass so the ship would sit lower in the water.

Here's a really cool video on YouTube of it...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was really cool! It went so close to the bridge I could hardly believe it. It was neat to see the Oasis in action finally. I’d been drooling over the computer models for so long… haha.

The last cruse I went on docked in Tampa and I stood on the deck as it went under the Bay Bride. It was a truly amazing sensation, it felt like a flying saucer or something had flown over the ship. I also couldn’t believe how close it got, but I’m sure the Oasis was way closer in this video. After all, the ship I was on had been doing it for years…

^That is what I was thinking. This ship looks like it just barely made it under the bridge, I can't imagine that they can get anything much larger under that bridge. I imagine that eventually they're going to have to start building in places where it is easier to get the ship into the open waters.

Very cool video though, from what I have read on wikipedia this seems like an incredible ship!

All of the big cruise lines have come out saying they have no intentions of building a ship as big or as big as Oasis (and her sister Allure). These two are 60,000 tons bigger than the next closest!

So I don't think the ship building ports have too much to worry about in the next 10 years or so. Cruise ships have pretty much always been built in Europe, with each line having a 'favorite' builder. The big cruise ship builders are in Germany, France, Finland.

Plus the bigger they build them, the less places they can go. Pretty much any ship over 100,000 tons can't traverse the Panama Canal which is a pretty big deal with repositioning the ships. They also can't tender with the larger ships because it would take all day and be very costly. I feel pretty confident that Oasis and Allure will hold the record for some time.