TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Myrtle Beach 9-5-09 PTR

Some friends and I planned a Labor Day weekend trip to hit the beach and also hit Freestyle Music Park and Family Kingdom. We headed to Myrtle Beach on Saturday morning, the 5th. We arrived at FMP at around noon. We headed right into the park, which was dead by the way (big surprise.) We decided to head over to the roller skater (Hang Ten) to get it out of the way. Pretty smooth for a Vekoma, but then again most of the roller skaters are smooth. Next, we hit the Round About (formerly Maximum RPM.) This turned out to be a really fun coaster. The first drop is great and the rest of it was smooth and fun with lots of random 80's music playing. Too bad they could not have made it longer. The ferris wheel lift was very unique! After this we headed over to Time Machine (formerly Led Zep.) This was a fun B & M sit down, with music from a different era each time you rode. I can say it had the best zero g roll I have ever experienced. After this it was time for some beer (which you can carry around the park) and then we headed over to catch a ride on the Iron Horse. This Vekoma mine train has to be the best mine train I have ridden thus far. Very smooth and fast. It also played Devil Went Down to Georgia. We then headed over to one of the shows which turned out to be a kids show, so we didn't stay long. Then it was off to Monstars of Rock (formerly Nights in White Satin.) I will have to say that this was the biggest waste of money for this park. WORST DARK RIDE EVER!!!! It was just a bunch of cut outs and lights. We then rode the parks break dance which was ok. We then ended our day on Soak'd (formerly Slippery When Wet.) If you sit in the front you definitely get soaked. The back is not as bad. It was a fun little coaster. We then proceeded to leave the park around 6 and go check into our hotel.

Overall, as far as FMP is concerned, I will say that their theming is awesome. I was very impressed with that. And the coasters were pretty good as well. The thing that really bugged me was the disregard of the employees. They did not ever tell you when you train was dispatching. They were rude and didn't seem to care about the customers. The thing that surprised me most was that they didn't seem to care about any safety regulations. I had gotten a water bottle at one of the shops and I carried it on every ride and they saw it and didn't say a thing. That never happens at parks. The other thing that surprised me was the fact that the park was dead on a holiday weekend and we got in for 10 dollars a piece (they had a 2 for 20 deal.) This is not a good sign for the park so I just wish them luck and hope they can make it. I am glad that I got to get out there and get the credits at least!

That night, we hit Family Kingdom so that we could get the Swamp Fox credit and just have some fun on the other rides. The one thing I can say about Swamp Fox is ZOMG!!!! the airtime in the next to last seat was insane ejector airtime. I have never felt airtime like that. It felt as if I was totally coming out of the seat and would fall to my death. I know I got at least 2 feet of air. It was actually a little scary but oh so much fun! Great coaster with great airtime that ends way too soon. After a few rides on the Swamp Fox, we headed over and also hit the flying bobs, tilt-a-whirl (which spun more than any other I have ever ridden), drop tower, yo-yo, ferris wheel, scrambler and pirate ship. Scott (coasterfreak80) also hit the log flume on the way out and said that it was fun. All together we had a great time at FMP and Family Kingdom. We went back to the hotel and got some sleep and then enjoyed the beach, pool and lazy river on Sunday before heading back to Atlanta. Hope you enjoy this report! Sorry for the low quality pics from Family Kingdom. It is tough to take pics at night with my camera.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like the type of trip I've taken last year when Freestyle Music Park was just the newly debuted Hard Rock Park. I love the coasters and thought NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN was the best dark ride I have ridden (especially wearing 3-D glasses). My only criticism about that park back then was the park didn't have enough rides, but since it was its first year I was confident that the park would be adding them in the upcoming seasons. Then we all know what happened next . . .

Family Kingdom is a great little park. I love the Swamp Fox (the best woodie coaster in Myrtle Beach) and they have a great Log Flume. But I wish they could add another coaster (a wild mouse perhaps), wish they could extend the lenght of the antique car drive (one lousy trip around the log flume station - its over in less than thirty seconds), and I didn't find their drop tower (called the Sling Shot) exciting, but it's the only drop tower in Myrtle Beach, so its still can be considered the best.

Question time concerning the "badly revamped dark ride" Monsters of Rock: "Do you ride this ride with 3-D glasses on?"& "Did they keep the 'revolving tunnel illusion' you must pass through before entering the ride?"

^^ No there is no revolving tunnel upon entrance or anywhere in the ride. There is also no glasses you wear on the ride. It seriously was terrible. The only good part was when the ride first started and we were in the dark, my friend Shawn grabbed my friend Scott in the front seat and scared him. Other than that it was just lights, music and carboard cut outs. SUCK CITY!

^Well kind of...there was no "dispatch, enjoy your ride" or anything. They held their thumbs up and the train started moving. Seriously bad ops. They were not friendly at all. I could have eaisly stood up in the cars or even thrown what I had in my hand at someone and they would have never known the difference. Thus why this park might/probably won't make it.

Ok Since I live here in Myrtle and love it terribly I can answer any question about freestyle that you may have. I know for a fact that the spinning tunnel of death and the 3d glasses are coming back next year in monstars or rock. The tunnel will be somewhere else but the ride will be 3d once again. They are also adding the log flume supposedly in the myrtle beach section.

^Well seeing as how it was built into our landscape and was supposedly scrapped after removal, FSMP is probably getting a brand new one.

Anyways, nice trip report. I have missed my chance, once again of getting to go to FSMP, so it will just have to wait for next year. I might make it down to Family Kingdom still though. I love Swamp Fox. How is the drop tower ride wise? Does it have much in the way of airtime?

I thought Family Kingdom's shoot-em-up dark ride themed to mexico or w/e was better then Nights in White Satin (and I love that song and the Moody Blues in general)... The walk through at the beginning was cool, but the actual ride I thought wasn't too great at all.

Swamp Fox is definitely my favorite ride in Myrtle Beach, the airtime is awesome. Although the ride is a bit on the short I love it.

I didn't get to ride any dark ride at Family Kingdom. I didn't even see one for that matter. Swamp Fox was great, although a little violent, the airtime was awesome!

As far as the drop tower...it was strange. It sat at the bottom forever and then without any warning it shot straight to the top...it then held at the top for a few seconds before it dropped again...weirdest drop tower ever.

I wouldn't have known the dark ride was there unless my friend didn't point it out to me at Family Kingdom. It was really good considering the type of park Family Kingdom is. I hated the drop tower at FK.

I loved Freestyle Music Park and I wish them the best.

Yeah I just kind of happened upon it. Didn't even know it was there until I saw a short line of people getting on the dark ride cars; lots of fun and far better quality then I was expecting for sure.