TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City Help

I'm planning a trip hopefully for next weekend to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. Having never been there before, I was wondering what things I should not miss such as any special food or hidden attractions. Also, I'll be going with my parents who don't like thrill rides, but are there any mild rides they can enjoy? Is Flooded Mine a mild ride with no hidden drops? Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, so much to tell you. You'll fall in love with that place.

My advice: head to PK first while your parents head to one of the early shows or stays in the main square to catch whatever morning show is going on there. PK is the only ride in the park that actually aggregates much of a queue line, so if you hit it first you can get several rides and have it more or less out of the way. (Though I'm sure you'll probably want to go back to it later).

From there on out I can't tell you much, there's just so much to see and do with every step you take through the park. SDC has an excellent brochure called Pathfinder that includes the park map, show times, and a lot of other helpful info to plan your day around. I suggest start the day off by heading down the hill from the Main Square, then circling around the park in a clock-wise direction. (Exit the main square from the left side, looking to the back of the park.) This way you'll escape having to tackle the big incline.

Flooded Mine is your typical shoot-em-up dark ride - with boats. There are no drops or thrills, just special effects and guns. The Lost River isn't too wild either, I've been on it with grandparents before.

Be sure to hit up the train, and don't forget there's a beautiful cave underneath the park if your parents are OK with long walks and stairs.

Oh yeah - both bakeries have excellent cinnamon bread, and there's a famous stand in front of ThuNderaTion's entrance that serves up huge skillets of awesomeness. The Lumber camp is also a good eatery.

You might check out the SDCFans Ride Guide for more info.

Could you tell us when you are going? I visited the park last fall, and it quickly became one of my favorites.

Most of the coasters are great (don't miss Fire-in-the-Hole, it's indoors and you may not see it if you're not looking for it), the food is spectacular, and the atmosphere is simply unmatchable.

Powder Keg is an incredibly underrated coaster. There are about three moments of the most INSANE ejector air I've ever experienced before even reaching the lift. (The front and back seats are both amazing---but the front probably out-matches the latter on the first camelback). Wildfire provides great views, and a great first drop; hopefully the trims will be off for you. Oh, and try to get a backwards ride, near the back of the train, on Thunderation.

Their log flume is one of the best I've ridden, and the only one I've been on that really gets you wet. Flooded Mine is a fun ride that your entire family will love (my parents hate rides, but wanted to ride this a 2nd time). The Giant Swing is also fun, but it doesn't run a very long cycle.

Make sure you, and definitely your parents, don't miss the show at the Silver Dollar Saloon. It is hilarious, and my favorite show I've ever seen at a park---or anywhere, for that matter. You'll find it across from Wildfire's entrance sign.

Finally, the hidden gem of SDC is...the apple dumplings! Make sure to pick some of these up over by the Flooded Mine. They are fresh apple dumplings, smothered in cinnamon syrup, and topped with two scoops of cinnamon ice cream. I would kill to get my hands on another one of those things...amazing!

Have a great time at the park! (And trust me, that won't be difficult.)

^ We'll probably be there next Sunday. The weather forecast is looking great right now!

Thanks both of you...this is just the kind of info I'm looking for! Last year I took my parents to Dollywood (they'd been before but not in a few years), so this will be our theme park excursion for this year. They LOVE the shows, and that's one of the main reasons I'm taking them to SDC. "World Fest" will be happening, which looks to be awesome by the way...can't wait to see the Irish dancers and Chinese acrobats! We'll definitely hit up the Silver Dollar Saloon show too. I'm not sure how much riding I'll get to do since this is mainly a trip for them, but I'll try to hit all the coasters if time and crowds allow.

Mmmm if the cinnamon bread is anything like Dollywood's, I'm already hungry! The apples sound amazing too. We had the skillet food at DW last year and loved it, so is it kinda the same at SDC?

Absolutely do not miss the cave tour! It takes about 45 minutes, so check the schedule and plan accordingly. The entrance is in the main gift shop up front, but don't let that fool you--there's no extra charge for the cave tour.

It's something so absolutely unique to a theme park, and is about as hidden as an attraction can be, especially when you stop to ponder just how massive it is. Give it a try and then report back.

Thanks for this thread! We're planning on getting there very soon, too and I don't really know what to expect.

AWESOME to hear that the cinnamon bread and skillet fare is comparable to Dollywood's.

DJ--Great tip on the cave tour. Please keep the tips coming, guys!

Thanks dj snow. My parents are probably a little too aged to do the cave tour since it involves climbing and stairs, but noted for future reference.

Is there any type of shuttle to the park from Branson? At Dollywood I often park in Pigeon Forge and take the Dolly Trolley to the park. It saves a bundle on parking fees which I'd rather spend on food and souvenirs.

Absolutely do not miss the cave tour!

I will second that! And even if it's not for your parents, you should still definitely do it. Even with all the coasters, the shows and the food, the cave was an absolute highlight for me - really enjoyable!

I will also echo the comments about Powder Keg, a really wonderful ride that gets surprisingly little coverage.

I am tremendously envious of your trip. I went to Silver Dollar City in 2007 and it's really one of my favorite parks.

Cameron.

Thrillerman, there is actually a free parking area that you can use, and trolleys run back there to pick you up, so there really is no need for a shuttle to the park.

Does anyone think that the park is worth a 2 day visit? If not, is there anything else I should do in the area? Thanks.

It's a wonderful park, but I'm not sure I would set aside two FULL days there...especially if you're not into water attractions.

But there is TONS of fun stuff to do all over Branson. I highly recommend the Dixie Stampede and Branson Ducks. They also have a cool Hollywood Wax Museum, as well as 'the world's largest' Titanic museum.

^Yes. Don't pull into lots A or B...keep driving back until you see the 'free parking area'. It's just a large plot of gravel; I'm pretty sure it is labeled Lot C. Can't confirm that, though.

All of SDC's parking is free except the preferred lot close to the gate which is $15. Unless of course, that's changed this year. I haven't been yet, but no one's said anything about a massive expansion of the paid parking yet.

As for the CC question, check back in a couple of years. Nothin' happening for a while.

Oh yeah, unless you like chaotic parking lots, stay away from Tanger outlet and just hit up the Grand Village and 101 outlets.