TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Paragon Park Giant Coaster

Hi folks, does anyone know where I might be able to find info (stats, layout/plans, pictures, etc) on the circa-1932 Giant Coaster at Paragon Park? Almost all of the pictures and information I have found is based on the redesigned ride post 1932, I'm having trouble finding the original 1917 John Miller design. It's purely out of curiosity, I've ridden the Wild One and as a Massachusetts native I'm interested in the origin of the ride.

The one picture I've seen of the original roller coaster (The Incredible Scream Machine: A History of The Roller Coaster) shows a far different layout from the 1932 redesign.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there

Just been looking through the "Roller Coaster Media Library" for you.

There's a B&W photo of Paragon's Giant Coaster (circa 1920) on page 79 of "A Century Of Fun - A Pictorial History Of New England Parks" by Bob Goldsack.

Facts:

Built by PTC for $100,000 as the world's largest coaster!

Mile and half circuit (likely exaggerated)

1923 partially destroyed by fire

1932 completely overhauled.

Always happy to help.

Simon Baynham

Book39ANewEnglandAmusementParks.jpg.3e41824d2eec051932d4f1a325ca6183.jpg

That book looks very interesting, would you have any idea where I might be able to find a copy? I read that it's out of print and I searched ebay, amazon, barns&noble, and a bunch of other book sites without any luck.

Hi there. The Roller Coaster Media Library used to lend out books and films about amusement parks and roller coasters. However the service proved too popular and I was making several daily trips to the Post Office - it just got silly, and costly.

The RCML website serves as a reference for all those park and coaster books you never knew existed. And enthusiasts, authors and film-makers are welcome to visit (Blackpool, UK) to conduct research into our favourite subject.

One other place you might like to try is www.guntherhall.com You never know, you might get lucky.

Read you soon

Simon

• 1 month later...
Hi folks, does anyone know where I might be able to find info (stats, layout/plans, pictures, etc) on the circa-1932 Giant Coaster at Paragon Park? Almost all of the pictures and information I have found is based on the redesigned ride post 1932, I'm having trouble finding the original 1917 John Miller design...

The below booklet features several photos of Paragon Park's Giant Coaster during, and shortly after completion. One shot shows the complete circuit...

[bOOK 33] CHARLES JACQUES: THE COASTERS OF THE PHILADELPHIA TOBOGGAN COMPANY. [1984] (21x27cm - 38 Pages – Many B&W photos) Chapter Points: Philadelphia Toboggan Company Coasters - The Early Years (Featuring the Giant Coaster at Paragon Park); Coaster Construction Resumes; The Busiest Years (Featuring the Woodside Wildcat, and the Coney Island Twister (Cincinnati)); Limping Along (Including The Flying Turns at Rocky Point); Modern Coasters (Including Lakemont Park’s Shooting Star); Includes a catalogue of 145 PTC Coasters 1904–1975. Includes details such as year debuted, park name and location, details concerning the coaster’s designer and builder as well as brief description of each roller coaster’s fate.

Simon

Book15PTCCompany.jpg.61dadea3c82111abfa655b315092c350.jpg

PTC Book