TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TRIP HELP Southern California

John Peck

Hi TPR Folks! It's ol' John Peck here.

The wife and I are taking a Mexican Riveriera Cruise which Ports out of San Diego and we decided to spend a few days after the ship gets back to enjoy some of the local parks. We are flying into San Diego, but driving up to LA and flying out of there.

We have hotel reservations already with a great Travel Agent discount.

I have been out to Cali. twice and have been to most of the parks. We are staying in the LA area mostly, so we won't be getting out to CGA or SFDK this time.

Here are the obsticals I am facing at this point in my life:

• I am currently UNEMPLOYED, but we booked this when I was working (non-refundable) and Im trying to stay on a strict budget. We are getting an 8-day cruise for $580 for BOTH of us. (Plus insurence and transfers)

• Im big, tall and huskey... just recently I could not get on Raptor's test seat (Im trying again Sunday), but that ride doesn't have the big boy seat (duel seatbelt), which I can get on. I've been on a strict diet the last couple weeks as well, but Im sure the cruise won't help. I'm going to ask some restraint-specific questions.

So, heres my plan....

Our ship lets us off on Wednesday morning, the 12th, and Legoland is closed that day and so is Belmont Park, but I have been to both of them in 2002.... no biggie there. Sea World isn't an option either.. no coasters yet. Oh, and Pacific Park will only have the Ferris Wheel open this day, we've been there too. I was at Adventure City in 2006, so thats not on the list either.

Wednsday 12: We are driving to the LA area and this is our questionable day. I looked into Universal, but its $54 with my wifes travel agent discount, and they only have 1 coaster. Plus, Im kinda waiting for Transformers. So Im not sure what to do this day. We may take this day and spend some time at Knotts.

Thurs and Fri 13/14: Disneyland Parks.. Full Days

Saturday 15: Knotts and Castle Park

Advice: how small are the restraints on Pony Express & the Sidewinder, also what are the restraints like on the new Castle Park Spinner?

Sunday 16: SFMM

Advice: I can't remember, does Riddler have the front buckle? How tight is X? I've never been on it. Does Scream and Batman have the duel buckles? Will Collosus have the Psyclone trains on or will they put the Morgans back? What type of bar does the Morgans have (I forgot)? tatsu is another fear.. how much lee-way does that have for bigger riders? Is there a test seat? Whats the restraint like on Goldrush?

Knowing how the lines can be, Im trying to spend as little time as possible waiting to not be able to ride.

Other advice on SFMM: I wear glasses and have a strap, what are the rules there? What about a small camera around my belt loop? I dont take picts on the rides, but I don't want to have to check my camera all day.

I have been there once (in 2002) so I know the park layout, but what would you suggest be my best plan of the day (ride capacity, etc)? Can we leave the parking lot and return without being charged again, or are food prices manageable?

Are the lines decent on an off-season Sunday? They are open until 8pm.

If any of you TPR folks may be there, it would be cool to meet you.

Monday: Fly Back to Ohio

So, as you can see, we are trying to use our time as well as we can, do you have any advice for the parks on those days? What things do you recommend we do as an alternative? Any dining options or show options?

Thanks in advance, JP.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cant fit into a B&M, Sierra Sidewinder will probably be a very tight fit.

X2 is very accommodating.

Riddler has the front seat belt and is very restrictive to those who have a big gut.

Scream has the big boy seats, I am pretty sure Batman dose too.

SFMM dose not have a problem with glasses, Knotts dose, even with a strap.

Tatsu is pretty accommodating.

Get to SFMM early and go strait to X2 first thing in the morning.

Good luck and have fun!

Xcel and Batman are very snug on me. I'm also a 38 waist but 6'4", and that has caused problems with my shoulders constricting how far the OTSR can go.

I've also found that Riddler is much more forgiving to those with excess height than with excess girth.

Tatsu shouldn't be a problem with girth.

Thanks so far, keep em' coming! I didn't realize I put this in the wrong forum at first, sorry about that.

I don't really have the "Gut" I've got Da' Butt. My mom's side has the "Pear" Shape and unlike my brother, I was cursed with it. Im a little worried about Riddler because I liked it, I've been on enough Batmen to not miss it.

Shame about no test seats, thats a damper. Are there any other rides I may have trouble on? I know Xcellorator is completely out, but i rode it in 2002. I'm 4-5 inches from fastening the seatbelt on Dragster and 6 on Mill. Force, but I can ride Mavrick with that Over the shoulder restraint design.

^ Try Xcelerator, it has a test seat.

I have seen large people that have been allowed to ride Xcelerator but would have been denied on TTD.

All you have to do is buckle the seat belt and get the lap bar down so that the indicator is green. And the employees will help you. I have seen them hold up a station for 3-4mins to help a large person buckle the seat belt.

Can you ride Mantis at Cedar Point? If so you should be able to ride Riddler.

Good luck!

I'll definatly check the test seats I come across.

To answer your Mantis question, I don't like it much, so I haven't ridden it in a few years, so Im not sure if I still fit on it or not.

Any other Advice on things to do in the LA area that are "musts"?

Okay, so after keeping the diet strict, I was able to get on Raptor and Mantis and Mine Ride this weekend, so I hope I can stay fit enough after the cruise to be able to do Knotts and MM's rides.

Has anyone been on the new Castle Park coaster yet?

^ It's 8 days, begining tomorrow, but Im bringing workout clothes for the gym on the days out to sea. Plus, some of our excursions will get us excercise.

If you and the Family-Tums get out to SFMM on Sunday on Nov. 16, Im hoping to wear my White LEGEND (Holiday World) shirt, so hopefully I'll see you guys!

Anyway, Im off to bed, we fly out at 6:55am.

• 2 weeks later...

TRIP UPDATE

So we are here in Cali. and the place is on FIRE! Today I was scared for my life when we were a few feet from burning flames on the 91 east freeway on our way to Castle Park... which we never got to. SFMM closed today around 12 or so I was told and our trip tomorrow may be canceled.

Other than that, Disney and Knotts were good. Xcellorator is down, but I can't get the seatbelt in the test seat... so no loss there anyway. Ghostrider beat up the wife... shame it jackhammers so much.

The cruise was great as well.

Anyway, not sure what else will occur on this trip, we'll see! We fly to Ohio Monday!

This was posted accidentally in the SFMM discussion thread yesterday. I am planning a trip from the east coast to SFMM on either Saturday December 6 or Sunday Dcember 7 and thought I might be able to get some help from you guys. I have only been once and that was about seven years ago (before Scream, Tatsu, Deja Vu, and X).

First, I was planning on going on Saturday, but if the lines will be considerably shorter on Sunday, I could do that instead. Do you think the lines will make enough of a difference to go on Sunday instead? The longest we waited when I was there before was 2 hours for Goliath (we were there on a Thursday in July of '01). I have heard horror stories about the line for X2, but I didn't know how true that would be in December.

Also, are there any expected ride closures in December? Any help or information is appreciated! Thanks.

I did eventually make it to SFMM. We rode most of the stuff there, couldn't fit on Tatsu, but was able to go up the exit to check it out instead of waiting in line thanks to some cool employees.

Deja, Yo Yo, Revolution and Sky Tower were down. Supermans line was too long, so we skipped it this time and X2 felt like I was in the middle of an Earthquake... I'll have to ride that one a few more times before I can make a final judgement.

I like the park, it's very beautiful and this trip was a complete 180 compared to our 2002 visit, but hopefully now that they are gutting a few old attractions out, they can fill in some more alternative rides rather than just coasters because thats almost what everything seemed to be.

Maybe Im just spoiled with Cedar Points offerings.

I also hope that Monorail comes down soon, there is a lot of space that could be used for a waterpark attraction, like a second wave pool, since Flashback is gone.