TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island's Zoom Flume 1971-2008

The Zoom Flume was able to survive countless floods, blizzards, and even tornadoes sitting next to the Ohio River at Coney Island's Sunlite pool. When it first opened in 1971, it was the tallest and longest waterslide in the world. It's being taken down this year, rumored to have a slide complex in its place. Supposedly the wooden slide isn't up to safety checks.

I'll post some photos later on.

-JZ

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a really fun slide. I remembered I was always sliding up and down on the sides because the turns were so sharp and I was going too fast! At least they still have Pipeline Plunge, that's a fun ride. And maybe the new rumored slide complex can draw in a bigger crowd for the park. I'd go to try out some new slides.

Thanks to Homer for the pictures from his Midwest TR!

018_700.jpg.a811e3be0f361c5c8b51d9a5ca2740e1.jpg

015_273.jpg.d397af9538b3890fe6324d3eca8b8249.jpg

I've never been to Cincinnati or on the Zoom Flume, but it looks like they could build a wooden structured waterslide to modern standards. That looked like a lot of fun.

Eric

I bet with the rising cost of timber that it just isn't economical anymore. The weights that a waterslide would need to support are much easier accomplished with a simple steel structure as opposed to a complex wooden trellis.

-James Dillaman

Hey, no problem with the pictures, I first thought "WTF?" about a slide with a wood structure.

Didn't go to Coney's water park during the trip, but I didn't know it was once the tallest and longest slide. Wow, a lot of history.

Now I kind of regret not riding it.