TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Construction in Wilderness Pass (2009?)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok just a few thoughts over the last pages of comments:

Holes on the sides of the hills and 'eco friendly' ways: Now I have not seen these holes but you should know that all Herschend properties are required to plant two trees for every one they cut down. Plus during construction building around them can be more difficult than plowing them down and replanting since they have a landscapers on hand everyday. So my guess is these could be for new trues of the transfer of trees. Dollywood also tries during construction to make it to where runoff water during and after rains can be reused and not go down the drain. They do this by using plants that can stand flood conditions, trees on sides of the hills so there roots will keep the dirt from being washed aways, etc. So my guess for the holes is trees to keep the mountain there because they don't want it to wash away during construction or during possible future use.

Future of the park: As most have said Dollywood can not be called a small park in 2007 it attracted over 2.5 million guests, Dollywood's Splash Country saw a 19.6% increase in attendance last year with almost a half a million visitors making it the 11th most visited water park in America and the 17th most visited in the World. As someone stated the Smoky Mountain National Park is the most visited national park with 10 million plus visitors annually, so the attendance is there for a resort. Dolly did state back in 2005 that there twenty year plan included investing another $160 million with such things as a resort hotel, a heavily themed restaurant, she also said that she wanted to have a kid based t.v. show produced there and she said they projected 5 million as there annual attendance in twenty years (I see that happening for sure). Well just three short years later at this years grand opening weekend she was quoted by the Knoxville News Sentinel as saying:

In an interview with the News Sentinel Friday, Parton said she wants a resort hotel to be added in the next two to three years. Other goals for the next 10 years include adding a state-of-the-art theater for television production.

Parton wants to create a children's TV program and have the series shot at Dollywood.

"One of the main things I'd love to see ... is a great resort (hotel)," she said. "We are working on it now. We don't have an announcements to make at this time ... (but) it's closer now than it has ever been."

That is just a little food for thought

edit* Speaking of food, Dolly how long till the new highly themed restaurant?

I literally just came back from Dollywood today. Me and some friends took a rode trip from college to have fun for a little while. This is my first time back since August. I did see the whole mentioned behind the fences and it doesn't seem like much too me. They are pretty big and now that I think of it, I should have taken a picture. Anyways I don't think its anything special or something to look forward too.

BTW I had the BEST day today at Dollywood! lol I didn't get to eat anything but the lines were good and I had fun.

The work going on in the upper loop is probably related to the resort. I received a survey yesterday asking which of three concepts i liked the most for the resort. One was "Imagination", so creativity-based, the second was "international" and the third was "Country Chic". If it is indeed the resort, then the train would probably be used somehow to transport guests to and from the park. However, one of the questions on the survey was "Where would you like the resort to be located?", some of the options were "in the park", "on a hill with a view away from the park", etc, so maybe the work in the upper loop is not resort-related. I've been twice this year and the train has been down both times, so I have not seen with my own eyes this year.

Dollywood is by no means a small park. With the new addition of Wilderness Pass it makes the park over 140 acres with lots more room to expand. By comparison, Opryland was only 125 acres.

What screamscape.com says about the future resort hotel:

2010/2011 - Resort Hotel - In Development - (4/23/08) We’ve got another update about that Dollywood resort hotel survey. It seems they are asking questions about three different resort concepts called Chasing Rainbows, International and Southern Style. Unfortunately you need a valid e-mail address to take the actual survey having the link will get you no-where.

(4/22/08) While I don’t have a link, a reader tell us that Dollywood was taking another guest survey not long ago asking opinions about various lodging features and what people look for in choosing a hotel in the Pigeon Forge area. Sounds like they’re doing some research for that official Dollywood Resort project Dolly mentioned was in development.

(4/14/08) During the opening of River Battle, Dolly mentioned to the local news that she wants an on-site resort hotel to be added in the next two or three years. She said that they are working on it now, but not ready to announce anything yet.

While I have not seen the survey I beleive either Chasing Rainbows or the Southern Style will be one of the themes. Although I think Dollywood could make a really nice International style like nothing in the Smokies I don't see it ranking as high on the survey.

Maybe the first resort will go over big and we will end up with three different hotels using all of the themes...........Of course that announcement may be saved for the 50 year plan

I hope they don't take out the Rockin' Roadway, and I don't expect a B&M coaster in the park anytime soon. I think a B&M ecspecially a hyper, could ruin the skyline. I suppose a mini-hyper like Goliath at SFOG wouldn't be so bad... I am hoping for another woodie though.

I don't expect a B&M coaster in the park anytime soon. I think a B&M especially a hyper, could ruin the skyline.

Agreed. That's why I cringe when people suggest they should build "a really tall drop tower" or anything of that sort. It would look horrible sticking up out of the hills.