TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TDL Space Mountain Update.

Hello everyone... I went to TDL this past week to check out what's happening at the park this month.

The big news of course was last month's re-launching of Space Mountain, now featuring a newly remodeled and redesigned queue, boarding platform and special effects, the ride's vehicles have been refurbished with new color and glow in the dark graphics. A new logo of the ride and some merchandise has also been created. Plus, in order to keep within theme with the current Find Stitch event, Space Mountain has also been ... (for lack of a better word) graffitied by Stitch. CMs are also sporting a new costume for the ride.

So what did I think of the new version of Space Mountain? Very nice, while keeping true to the original ride (no music) and here are some of the interesting but subtle changes made...

Spoilers ahead....

Not much is different from the moment you enter the line for the ride... but Cms have new outfits and new TV monitors in the queue have replaced the 20th century old fashion signs. Once you go up the walking lift, a new logo and Coca Cola video show awaits you. After you are actually inside the building... things have not changed much in the narrow queue leading to the main platform... there are new Coke billboards and different lighting. The big change here is the "darkening" of the space window that would allow guests in the queue to see the rockets and "star" effects in the main portion of the ride. Now, the window is tinted black and you can't see anything. Once you get pass this area, a new small TV monitor has been added to remind guests of the safety rules and health regulations before arriving in the main queue area.

Once in the queue area, the changes are nice. The lighting has been reduced by the use of dark blue lights. The entire area is darker now, and this allows for the newly installed effects to have a glow in the dark feel to them. 4 sets of "running" lights have also been installed above on the ceiling that provide a kinetic feel to the area every so ofter. The old spaceship above the platform has been replaced with a newer and much sleeker silver model that features some cool moving graphics on it's sides and underside as well. New glow in the dark glass gates have been installed as well to prevent accidents at the boarding area.

Now the ride itself... the track remains the same as before... however, in tune with the "electricity" theme here... as we go into the first lift, we now see what appears to be small electric generators, complete with electric bolts, then.. the former meteor (whoosh! whoosh!) tunnel now features new visuals. As we head into the main lift... electric lightning bolts can be seen enveloping the tunnel as we ascent to the top of the track. Once at the top.. the old planet like spheere is gone, and a new laser like visual of a nebula is seen at the top.

As I mentioned before.. the ride is now MUCH darker than before and both times I rode, I was seated at the front seat, and I could barely see the track ahead. While the vehicles do not feature music, there seems to be a sound effect of wind inside the dome, that added some depth to the experience. (Or maybe I imagined it?) The old green and very lit "EXIT" sign that was once too close to the track, has now been turned off as well.. and the entry tunnel is a similar experience to that found at DL and HKDL... shooting stars of sorts that appear to follow us as we slow down and arrive back into the boarding area. There is also a big flash there at the re-entry tunnel, but NO photos of guests riders are being sold anywhere. As we exit Space Mountain, not much is new but the ligthing and new billboards advertizing Coke.

There is one little thing I miss from the original Space Mountain show... During the ride, you did go pass a projection of the same spaceship that sat above the boardind area.. (same one they still have at DL) hovering there in outer space. But that little projection (and the lights that went along with it) are now gone, since that particular prop has been replaced with the new silver ship. Oh well... All in all, the newly refurbished experience gets a B+ from me.

As for the rest of the park... One entire block of World Bazaar is closed for refurbishing.. this includes the toy kindomme store, Penny Arcade, Modern Memories and even the newly opened Bakery located at the former Sweetheart Cafe area.. Must be some massive re-theming of this entire block. Likewise most of Westerland's block is also closed for refurbishing... from the candy store, to the Bear Jamboree (now on hibernation I guess) and all the way to the western gear shop. Over in Adventureland... POTC is closed as they prep the ride to re-open with the new Jack Spareme overlay... which I hope it turns out similar, if not better, than what DL got, which itself was better than WDW's cheap remake. Fingers crossed.

Nearby... inside the Home Store, a refurbished section of that store now features POTC merchandise... from Jack Sparrow stuff, to "We wants the Redhead Minnie" plushes.. and tees...etc etc.

I also caught another showing of Stitch's Huli Huli Parade, a very fun parade to enjoy, and also caught some of the other "decor" caused by Stitch around the park... stuff I didn't see before. Stitch BTW.. also makes a cameo appearance during the Mickey Mouse Review, when he crashes the Alice in Wonderland scene, and also.. he left an overturned can of paint next to Cinderella, as she is turned into a Princess-wannabe in the Bibbidi-bobbidi scene... Look for those Stitch pranks when you visit...and they will be there until the end of July.

Today... the park was nice and not too crowded, and very clean as usual. Sadly, I had to leave early as I was on my way to Hong Kong..to check their Pirate Takeover event at HKDL. In the meantime, check out these photos and see all of the stuff I have mentioned above... Enjoy.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4334673&a=32524001

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutley love what they did with Space Mountain in TDL! The Logo is awesome, The Space ship inside the building is very cool looking. The station is very dark and dreary but it makes the room look really cool. I will look forward to riding that some day!

Very cool! Thanks for the honest report! I'm so glad you guys got actual new stuff in your refurbishment! And it looks stunning, IMO. I just wish the trains got some on-board audio.

Anyway, I'll say it as always, I really hope to one day make it out there! Looks great.

-Jahan

Honestly? I prefer the vehicles without sound systems or music. One of my biggest petpeeves is riding Space Mountain/R&RC/CA Screaming and having an inoperative music system. Takes away from the ride. Therefore I much rather no have it at TDL, that way I won't be disappointed.

^ And not having a sound system doesn't take away from the ride? If the coaster is good enough, it should be good either way. The sound is only supposed to add another "umph" to the ride.

And this is freakin Japan we're talking about! Whenever the sound doesn't work over here, it's because maintenence is lazy or fixing it wasn't in the budget! You dont have those problems as much in Japan! So I personally think the ride would lack that final layer without audio.

-Jahan

Well... never sya never. Maybe in the near future, OLC will invest on a new sound system for TDL's SP, but in the meantime.. the profits are being saved for the new Sparrow overlay at POTC and for the new entertainment coming in 2008 for the park's 25th anniversary.

My mom bought this shirt back in November. it was the only shirt with an ttraction on it we were able to find.

-Dianan " " Rafferty

Actually, that teeshirt is part of an attraction teeshirt merchandise line... they still had the Splash Mountain tee as well last week when I was at the park. Not sure if the others are still available...as I didn't check for them.

Very interesting.

I've heard many whispers of an upcoming rehab for WDW's Space Mountain, and I hope that it is something along these lines.

I don't really want it retracked, since the bumpiness makes it seem faster, but Florida's Space Mountain could definitely be a lot darker. I could see the brakes on the track last time I rode, and the loading area was in full view from the ride....

If the Space Mountain at TDL is like the one in WDW, than the wind that you are hearing is not a sound effect.

In WDW, they actually created a vortex of air inside the ride building. It's purpose is to mess with your sense of speed and make you feel like you are going faster than you really are.

Did Pirates reopen yet?

NO.

If the Space Mountain at TDL is like the one in WDW, than the wind that you are hearing is not a sound effect.

The TDL version is nothing like the WDW old albatross.. TDL's more like DL's original version, but now with nicer show elements. Plus I can not garranty there is a sound effect noise in there.... but seemed to me there was some new wind noise effects I have never heard of before... I only rode once, so I would have to re-ride soon and listen for it...

My mom bought this shirt back in November. it was the only shirt with an ttraction on it we were able to find.

-Dianan " " Rafferty

Actually, that teeshirt is part of an attraction teeshirt merchandise line... they still had the Splash Mountain tee as well last week when I was at the park. Not sure if the others are still available...as I didn't check for them.

All we saw there was that and on Space Mountain kids-T. And a really amazing Haunted Mandsion Holiday Nightmare hoodie that i regret not buying!

-Dianan "I really miss TDL " Rafferty

The new summer merchandise line is really nice and you can see some of those items in the photos on the link above. I also liked the few items they are selling with TDL's SM's new logo on them...