TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Euthanasia

So...about a year and a half ago, I noticed a patch of hair was missing from my dog's (Parker's) right rear leg. When I inspected it, I felt a lump. I then realized that his whole right rear leg was about twice the size of his left rear leg. I took him to the vet...fearing the worst...cancer.

The vet did a took a syringe and withdrew whatever was in the lump. There were no cells...just a clear liquid (fat). She said it was a fatty tumor, which are common in dogs, and are basically untreatable. Some can be removed, but my dogs was so deep into his leg, that it would have left him unable to use his leg more than likely.

Now, the lump is twice the size it was (about the size of a raquetball) and my dog keeps biting on it, like it is hurting him. He bites it until it bleeds, he doesn't eat as much as he used to, he can't run anymore, he spends alot of time in rooms by himself...he just seems unhappy. I'm afraid that I may have to have him put down...I feel I owe it to him. I don't want him to be miserable or get to the point where he can't move at all. He is only 11 years old, and Corgis generally live longer than that, but I think it might be time.

Has anyone else had to go through this? It's killing me. I feel like an idiot, but I am actually crying as I write this. My dogs are my kids and I want to do the right thing.

parker_911.jpg.d5990770ce3cb3d09af7a471ef48aaae.jpg

Parker

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Losing a pet is a hard thing to do. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do in the best interest of the pet. I have lost a dog to a dog fight by the neighbors dogs, it sucked. Also have lost a cat that got lost. We currently have a stray that someone dropped off where I live a year ago and we couldn't give her away. I know my mom and sister will be heartbroken when she goes, we don't know her age, but I believe she is older in age.

Most people have had to make this decision at some point in their lives. I work as a tech at a vet clinic so I see it a lot, but it is never really any easier to see the people before and after. I just think of it like this: our pets are very lucky to have the option to leave this world so peacefully.

With that said, take the dog into the vet again and have them do an actual biopsy sent off to a pathologist before you make a big decision like that. I'm curious that your vet wouldn't remove a lipoma though. Maybe you should look into a second opinon?

I totally relate to what you're going through. My pets are my children too. A few years ago I had to have my bulldog, Snoopy, put to sleep because she had cancer. The thing is, I couldn't bear to see her suffer. There's no torture worse than seeing somebody you love suffer. So actually the decision wasn't that hard for me, because I knew that she was never going to get better and would be much better off if she were euthanized. I have never regretted it or had second thoughts. At first I felt guilty because I couldn't be in the room while they did it (my mom stayed), but then I thought a) I would have nightmares about it and the image would never leave my mind and b) I didn't want the last thing for her to see was her mother being hysterical. Whatever you do, good luck to you and Parker.

It is a very emotional thing to do, especially if its someone you know and love and have seen everyday for the past 11 years. It's really hard to make the decision sometimes but you have to look at everything and weigh the pros and cons and see which one comes out better. Yes you will miss them, but they may be better off and not in pain even though they are no longer in your company. Like everything else though, if it does turn out for the worst, time heals all wounds, and i'm sure Parker will know that you loved him dearly.

I miss both of my dogs Spencer and Lucy, they were awesome, but both were very sick very near to each other, and both were put down within 2 months of each other. I will never forget them though, and I know they passed knowing that they had a good life, in a good home.

Good luck with whatever decision is made.