TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Space Mountain block zone question....

Hello. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find this in the search.

So most of us prolly know that Space Mountain has the common block zone system used on roller coasters. With the old version, if the vehicles stacked up into the ride it would go 101. The reset would consist of a few CM's going into the ride to manually reset each occupied brake zone and release the vehicles.

With the new version, and a new control system, the ride will still technically go 101 if the ride stacks up. What I don't understand is why Disney didn't take advantage of the more advanced control system. Why can't they have it so that they can continue dispatching, and as each block zone clears, the next brake zone will realease as on most other roller coasters? The only reason that comes to mind is that they would want to make sure everyone stays seated in the cars. But with a few night vision cameras and the existing PA system, this can be taken care of. Therefore, not causing a downtime, and still maintaining a safe environment.

So does anybody know why Disney made it so that the ride still goes 101 because of a stack up?

Thanks,

Matt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Disney, at the time of budgeting for the "New" Space Mountain was still being run by people who thought all we wanted to do was shop. And therefore didn't care.

Also, yes Space Mtn was scheduled for rehab, but it actually got taken down a few months prior to the scheduled rehab.

Then of course, all the work that it took to actually get it back open for the 50th. It wasn't originally supposed to reopen until November of '05, but it got pushed to July '05.

What I don't get is why they don't use the "Unload" area that they will use when it's about to go 101. If they had load/unload in a seperate place it would probably help some too.

Last Sunday it didn't go 101 when we were in line. This was the first time it hasn't done that on us in MONTHS. But it did seem like they had less trains running, but don't quote me on that.

Although I don't have answer for you, I can only give you my theory.

For one reason or another a CM does have to go to each block to manually reset, perhaps its a safety issue so that one console (panel) can not reset without someone else's permission. That would be the CM at the block. Explain to my why X has 3 E-stops on its lift hill, its all technical and not really meant for normal use. The manufacturer obviously has made the ride like that for a reason. At X I can only assume its for computer simulation if the computers did issue an E-stop all sections of the lift...just my guess don't take it as fact. While the rockets do stop at blocks when it does stack up, they also stop if there is an error or some other problem with the ride. I personally see no probably with CMs having to run the Mountain, if anything it lets the guests know that someone from the ride is there.

Also, whenever a ride is halted its always demanded that a crew member goes to each stopped unit/train and talks with the guests. Just spieling over the PA system isn't the same.

_six

What I don't get is why they don't use the "Unload" area that they will use when it's about to go 101. If they had load/unload in a seperate place it would probably help some too.

I've been unloaded from the unload section of the station before. They do use it. When they get dangerously close to stacking an alarm sounds at panel.

Honestly, with as many vehicles are are moving, they would pretty much NEVER make up the time once the trains start stopping on the blocks. There would be no way to reset the blocking system without completely starting over.

I think they should use their transfers to take off trains when they start backing up, like on the Matterhorn.

But maybe thats just because I want free rides.

-Jahan

Still, I think it would be easier and faster to reset the ride if the process was automated. I can understand this manual reset back in the 70's when computers back them were "dumb." But come on, programing a block zone system can't be that hard now a days!

Heck, maybe it would be easier if everyone would just quickly board and sit there arses down like they are told.

What Space will do in a backup, is if they're really close to a cascade, the rocket at unload will just shoot straight through load with the lapbars locked, advancing everything forward by two spots instantly. If the slow loaders are obviously not going to be ready, they might pull them to the left at the switch, have them get out, and use the wheelchair rocket. Otherwise it's fairly unforgiving- I think it can back up one zone behind the 2 visible behind unload in the station for just a couple seconds and then bam, cascade.

Space is really tight on the block timing when going all out, so stopping a sled at zone 13 or something (out of 14) and taking the time to pick up enough speed to not have the train behind it intrude is pretty much impossible.

At Matterhorn, we can easily avoid a cascade with 9 bobsleds just by pulling one off at the transfer table. If the cast member sees it coming and feels like working, they can sometimes unload people before pulling it, otherwise the people in it will get a reride usually. With 10 bobsleds, if you plan ahead and pull an empty sled off and leave it next to the table spot before unload, or pull one at each table before loading, the ride will not cascade no matter how long it takes. Unless the situation is really unusual like someone not being able to get out, and not being able to get back in so a sled can move forward one spot, Matterhorn shouldn't cascade. Usually it's because of stopping the station cause some idiot decides to jump out in the hold zones before unload, which can be really unforgiving (like 15 seconds) if you're unlucky on timing and running full 10 trains on that side.

Still, I think it would be easier and faster to reset the ride if the process was automated. I can understand this manual reset back in the 70's when computers back them were "dumb." But come on, programing a block zone system can't be that hard now a days!

The 9 blocks on Top Thrill Dragster (and I'm sure on Maverick and most of the other coasters at CP) had to be manually reset by a person in controls and a person at the panel being cleared. I don't think that computer system is from the 70's.

Same thing on Magnum (hey, I'm using knowledge I know!) if block C (The brakes before the station) weren't clear, The train would stop on B (The one by the lift) and a person would have to run out there and manually release the train.

I would assume that they require manual resets to ensure that the block should be cleared. The ride obviosuly stopped for a reason, so the (park/ manufacturer) doesn't want to take a chance. The computer doesn't know why things don't move fast enough (slow guest) just that the trains are not being dispatched fast enough.

I've been unloaded from the unload section of the station before. They do use it. When they get dangerously close to stacking an alarm sounds at panel.

I've been unloaded there too, and your right, it's only when it's about to start going 101.

My question is, why don't they use it all the time if it's fast enough to get people through when the ride is stacking up.

Matterhorn uses different load/unload sections, why not SM?

Space only has to use the unload when they're running close to the maximum trains. Since it's load on one side and unload on the other, stepping through is pretty quick and doable in the interval. Matterhorn there's no way for people to get out of the way of people getting in, along with more time needed for getting in and out. We also need the time to pull out seatbelts, otherwise people tend to sit on them and go OMG WHAT SEATBELTZ?!?! I guess it just comes down to staffing. .

Heck, most of the dark rides can do tandem unload and crazy things if you really want to, but in the end it almost never matters as far as counts go.

If anyone is curious, at Matterhorn the load and unload spots are both controlled by the one person at the panel right by the gates, and generally get moved together. If the interval is too fast to keep the station full with that number of bobsleds I'll do them when each is ready, otherwise almost all operators keep the trains together normally. Space I'm quite sure the unload spot is controlled by the person at the extra console when it's active.

Hoping someone found this interesting?

One time the train I was in turned into the maintainence shed and we got pulled around back and re loaded onto the main circuit via transfer track. I am thinking this was done so they could of avoided a 101 and relieve some of the build up. Because we went pretty quick right after the train in front of us went. I remember someone asking why we got turned into the shed but I forgot what they said.