TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to Universal Studios - hotel? tickets?

AJMouse

After the midwest trip, my friend and I are planning to visit at least Universal Studios (in Hollywood?). We have seen pictures and films of the studio tour (the one where a train rides you through studios and special effect stuff) but I have no idea which of the 2 Universal Parks have this (maybe both?) or which is better if they have both.

Question 1

Which Universal Park should I attend that has the cool tour, and why that one?

You need to know that I've never been to the States, and because of that, planning this sidetrip brings some difficulties with it for us. I thought the answer to question 1 would be Universal Hollywood in Los Angeles, so I'm basing my other questions on that. I believe to get to Universal Hollywood we need to book a flight to LAX. We have a nice option on a flight from Cincinnati (where the midwest trip ends) to LAX, so that's no problem..

Question 2

Which airport should we book a flight to and how do we get from that airport to the park? Is there a specia bus? Do we take a cab (and if so, is that very expensive? Cause in Holland cabs are very expensive)

So now we're at the park.. but we need to loose our stuff. I've read about hotels near the park (park resorts) so those sound nice and nearby. Maybe a hotel a little bit further would be better...

Question 3

Which hotel is the best to take? Ofcourse we don't want to pay thousands of dollars for a room, but I think we won't be staying that long. Which hotel do you like best?

Good, we have our stuff at the hotel, checked in and everything. Lets go to Universal Studios (or maybe the next day). On the official site I've read about several different tickets I could buy. These are the ones I found very interesting (I'm looking at the Universal Hollywood site):

VIP Experience: yes, expensive, but I'm going to study film and tv, and I would love to know and see every little bit of that 6 hour exclusive tour we're getting! I don't know if this involves the normal traintour as well though.. Anyway, it also includes front of the line stuff so we don't have wait times (does this actually work??) and VIP seatings at all of the shows.

Dated Front of Line pass

The name explains it. With reserved seatings at shows (same as VIP seating?)

Hollywood Getaway!: This one has one night at a hotel and 2 days of Universal Studios. Also has a free bus between hotel and park I believe. I would still have to pay the fee for the tour (approx 90USD I believe).

Now I'm more fond of the first one, but I don't know with a tour of 6 hours if we have enough time to catch all the shows and rides. How big is this park? I want to buy a second day as well.

Question 4

If we want to catch all the shows/rides and do that VIP tour, do we need two days? Even with the front of the line passes?

Question 5

Do these VIP tickets work? Are they different in the park than front of the line tickets?

Question 6

Should I do it differently?

These are my questions and it could be that I have more when I get answers.. you never know

Thanks for reading and helping out if you can.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about Universal Studios Hollywood, it's only one park. Universal Orlando (in Florida) has 2 parks. But I will answer some of your questions...

LAX, Long Beach, or John Wayne airport will get you to USH.

I can recommend the VIP Tour Experience since I did it 2 years ago. Your studio tour is twice as long. You get your own private tram. You also get to walk around in backstage areas, like the sound stage (you might meet a Foley artist), the clock tower area, and the prop department. You also get front of the line access to the rides and preferred seating at the shows.

I believe there are a few hotels in the USH area.

In case you don't want to buy the VIP passes, I know Universal is offering either 15 or 20 dollars off the front of the line pass. Also, when you buy this pass, you get a "Buy one day get 2007 free" pass, so you can go back anytime you want for free. Pretty good deal if you ask me... that's what I did when getting my tickets for March.

Have a great time on your trip!

Katie

If you have the money to spare, I'd definitely recommend the VIP tour. You get a guide that will plan your day and make sure you get on everything (plus share fun facts at each show/attraction), a 2-2 1/2 hour tram tour that includes all the attractions stuff+getting to walk around the studio (when I took it, we went on the Crossing Jordan set, the New York backlot sets, a mixing theater, and some other stuff), and free drinks/snacks in a private lounge while you wait for your tour to start.

If you can find a flight into Burbank airport, you're only about 10 minutes from USH. I've stayed at the Universal Hilton twice with no problems yet. That's on property and just a short walk (or shuttle ride) to the park. I've also stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel, which is about a 5 minute drive from the park. (it's also located a block from Hollywood Blvd. if you're into that touristy stuff). Really nice hotel (all rooms are suites) for the price.

One day will be plenty.

Will one day also be plenty when doing the 6 hour tour? Or does USH just not have that many shows and rides?

And.. I was wondering what the difference was between the VIP day and a front of the line ticket, if we're JUST talking shows and rides, I can't seem to figure that one out.

---

So flying to Burbank would be better?

Thanks to all for answering

One day will be enough no matter what tour or no tour you take.

While Burbank Airport is closer, it is likely to be MUCH more money.

I'm having trouble being convinced... I know you're all experts (all who suggest this), but I was looking at the list of rides and shows, and there is a lot to do!

The park is open from 9am till 8pm. If we manage to do the tour within those 11 hours, we have 5 hours left to do rides and eat something and watch (all?) the shows. I'm not worried about the rides, since we have these VIP passes, the shows on the other hand worry me some. They have set starting times, and last time I went to a show it was in Disneyland Paris, the car show, and it took like 1 hour or more to see. With 5 hours on the clock (and that's not calculating all the rides and food), isn't that just too little time? I'm probably just being dumb.

I have a 100usd ticket from CVG to LAX, might just keep that one then..

With your VIP or Front of the Line ticket you get priority seating at the shows, meaning you dont have to show up until about 10 minutes before the show and you'll still get a great seat.

Thanks. I will probably be able to make something of this now

• 2 months later...

I didn't feel the need to open a new topic, but I have another question.

I'm buying the VIP tickets soon, but when I entered the site of universal today this message came up:

VIP Experience

The VIP Experience is your own all-day exclusive Studio Tour with unique behind-the-scenes privileges that are closed to the public. Includes VIP access to all the theme park's major rides and attractions.

$149 price only valid for bookings through 4/30/07. For bookings on 5/1/07 or thereafter, please call the VIP office to purchase your tickets at (818) 622-5120.

Reservation Required. When you purchase your VIP Experience online, your admission certificate and instructions to schedule your tour date and time will be mailed to you via FedEx. A reservation with the admission certificate has to be completed at least 48 hours in advance of visiting the park.

Children aged 5 and under are not allowed on this tour.

Bonus! Purchase your tickets online and get over $100 in Universal Studios savings coupons. Coupons valid for use through June 30, 2007.

PLEASE NOTE: These tickets are only valid at Universal Studios Hollywood located in California. Tickets are not valid at any Universal Orlando® theme park.

Now I'm not from the states, and thus my English isn't the best. I'm having trouble with what they mean by 'booking' - sure I know about booking a holiday and stuff like that, but maybe it can mean something different too.

It says:

"$149 price only valid for bookings through 4/30/07" - does this mean:

A. order your tickets before this date and the price is 149, after that you can choose what date you want to go (August 14 is what we want)

or

B. Order your tickets, but you have to attend the VIP tour before or on April 30.

I've sent them a mail asking about this, but I thought it would be quicker to ask here

URL to their ticketsite:

http://secure.universalstudios.com/webstore/shop/ticket-selection.aspx?Merchant=USHMainStore&SalesCategoryGroup=USHMain&SalesCategory=SDT

update:

I managed to get tickets for the date I wanted. Woohoo!