TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ok,we now know what cameras are good ...

jarmor

But what is a good camcorder for night time recording...

Im in the market to purchase a good camcorder. Something small so I can get on-ride footage (legally) and something so that when im on a dark ride I can get good quality video footage.

I have narrowed it down to 2

Sony DCR-DVD 301

And

JVC GZ-200US

Any suggestions on a good camcorder? or which of the 2 I should pick. I have talked to someone who do great park videos and I have their imput so whats yours (not mainly directed to the alvey's but to everyone on the board )

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to be doing ANY kind of on-ride footage, I'd say don't get the Sony DVD cam. I've got a Sony Mavica MVC-CD400 (still camera that burns pics straight to a mini-CD, kinda the same thing), it's definently not reliable, and it's really slow.

Yeah, and from what I know about the DVD cam, it's not as easy to plug it into your computer and import footage like it is with a DV cam. And it's already been compressed, so you're losing quality there too.

--Robb "Stick with a DV camera!" Alvey

On that same note, what camera are you guys currently using at the moment? I remember like a year or two ago, it was something like a Sony TRC-19 or something with a 19 in it. MiniDV cam, of course, but I also recall you saying that you go through cams once a year or more frequently. I noticed that the video in your 2003 video was pretty darn crisp and vivid, and of course, your Japan-A-Mania has some nice dark lighting vid as well.

So just wondering what specific model you're using, since I think I'll have enough money to get a camcorder this year. Similarly, I'm looking for a not-too-expensive (probably $600 tops) camera with good color quality, good night shot modes (preferably without requiring an actual lamp), and quick focus and dark to light transition speeds.

Thanks!

Oh, one other slightly related question: my friend insists that you guys color correct your videos or use some sort of filter, hence the gorgeous colors on some of your stuff. Is this true? I personally would say now, since you've always maintained that your stuff is "low tech," but I was curious.

EDIT: Nevermind. You posted the answer to what camera you're using in the other Camera thread.

Ok I went got this one today, JVC GZ-200US and I dont think I like it. Yeah its small enough to be able to take on ride footage but for some reason I dont think I like it. Whats the difference between this and mini DV? Is mini DV better than this and the DCR-DVD?

Edited by jarmor

Mini DV actually records to tape where as that is saving the footage you record as MPEG video and storing it to a hard-drive built into your camera.

When going for camcorders, in my opinion, the best two options are Sony and Canon.

With Sony you get the long history of camcorders, they are a good brand and have been doing them for a long time, plus generally have the best features for their price ranges - such as nightvision, image stabiliser, touchscreen LCD, memory stick image storage.

With Canon the camcorders are cheaper and you get the benefit of a company with good photographic history, and as such you'll get top quality lenses, although the Carl Zeiss lenses on the Sony models certainly aren't bad!

The best choice really is MiniDV. I'd say stay away from Digital8, they're just really an attempt to get people who previously owned Hi8 camcorders to switch to digital - as D8 camcorders can play Hi8 tapes, which means you can transfer Hi8 footage to your PC via Firewire. MicroMV is alright, but the tapes are limited to 60 minutes in any mode I believe (MiniDV can go up to 120mins in SQ Mode) and you are paying for the gimmick of a small camcorder, whereas similarly priced MiniDV models would give you more features. The DVD ones again are just Sony's way of trying to widen the market and target people who think that digital camcorders are too much hassle or don't really have much techy knowledge so want something they can just take out of their camcorder and stick straight into a DVD player, and so they are very basic.

So if your still awake after that, and in the event you plan on taking your JVC one back for a refund. A Sony or Canon MiniDV camcorder is your best bet.

Jarmor,

Do you have any dark ride vids you want to trade? I've got lots of them, all recorded with my VHS-C and converted using the top of the heap Canopus box. Digital cams just can't match good old analog when it comes to low light. That's why even when I do get a digital cam, I'll still lug my old one around for my dark ride ridethroughs.

Rastus

Actually I dont have any footage, actually I do but I did that w/ my digital camera and its in MOV format. I think im gonna keep the JVC for atleast 2 weeks because im gonna have to pay a 15% reshelfing fee. After that im gonna boycott bestbuy!! I went back today to take it back but the guy was telling me how good the cam is and blah blah blah.

Thanks guys for all the advice but I really want a camera thats good in low light conditions because the JVC I brought isn't good at all! Rob (and anyone else who does dark ride footage) which camera do you use to film it?

Jarvis "getting a camcorder is harder than expected!" Morant