TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Giant Dipper @ Belmont Park, San Diego

...Wow, I think this actually the first non-TR thread I've started!

Anyways, we're heading down to San Diego this weekend for a concert (Radiohead) and naturally, want to check out some of the beaches there. Upon looking at various websites I came across Belmont Park near Mission Beach, which I had no idea existed or that there was a CREDIT there. Woohoo!

My questions are:

Should we even bother hitting Belmont if we have time?

Is the Giant Dipper rough or worth riding?

And more importantly, does anyone know if it's open right now?

Just curious... thanks for any help.

-Amanda

PS: WTF is it called "GIANT" Dipper if, according to RCDB, it's only 75 ft high?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For one, the coaster has been around since the early 1900's, so back then it was pretty giant.

Anyway, YES, go ride it! I went there a few years ago and marathoned it and had a blast! You can get an unlimited ride wristband for fairly inexpensive, and I believe the wristband gets you on the other few rides they have there. Dipper is probably one of my favorite woodies. It doesn't pack a lot of airtime, but honestly the ride is just plain FUN. It's basically right on the beach too, so you get a really nice view going up the lift.

Yea, I had a blast on it myself. It isnt the textbook example of an impressive coaster, nor is it really good at anything other than providing smiles and a good time - but what good is all the airtime in the world if you aren't having fun?

(or in pain like on Intamin hypers...)

- Joe, who specifically remembers the Dipper being smooth for the most part, and highly recommends it

edit: Belmont Website incl. pricing/hours etc

The Giant Dipper is really fun, and surprisingly smooth for it's size. It even provides some airtime in the back. Apart from the coaster, the park is pretty small. The only other rides worth riding there are the Chaos, and Beach Blaster (which is just like La Revolucion @ Knott's with an equally horrible program)

-Luke

I have a sentimental attachment to this ride as it was my first Woodie! I love it! My dad used to take us down to the beach when we were kids and the first thing we would do was ride this coaster. It always brings back fond memmories and I am hoping that it will be my sons first woodie as well when we go down to visit Seaworld and San Diego this in the next few weeks here.

I say go for it! It's a fun ride. Nothing mind blowing. Just a lot of fun.