TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Potential Orlando MLB Franchise

I'm gonna throw this in the "Random" thread since it's not really related to a specific theme park or the theme park industry, but a new MLB Stadium/franchise in being considered for Orlando just right outside of SeaWorld/Aquatica. 

I'm not a huge baseball fan but we were just in Atlanta over the weekend at the new(er) Braves stadium and that entire complex the area surrounding that venue is spectacular. If this is anything like that it'll could potentially have a huge impact and be a massive draw for a city that already has so much tourism. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this proposed project, good or bad. I don't live in Orlando in but I'd imagine locals may have mixed feelings on this as far as traffic and funding etc. etc., but a nice new complex right in the heart of the attractions area could be pretty exciting.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/05/10/orlando-dreamers-group-proposes-stadium-lure-mlb-franchise

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think it'll be more interesting if this is planned as an expansion team, or a relocation of say, the Tampa Bay Ray's. TBR desperately needs a new stadium and it's doubtful they'll get one in the Tampa area.

At the same time, 1.7B is a lot of money--especially when DeSantis is in a pissing contest with Disney right now.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CaptainUnknown said:

I think it'll be more interesting if this is planned as an expansion team, or a relocation of say, the Tampa Bay Ray's. TBR desperately needs a new stadium and it's doubtful they'll get one in the Tampa area.

At the same time, 1.7B is a lot of money--especially when DeSantis is in a pissing contest with Disney right now.

Yeah I like the idea of an expansion team more than moving the Rays. On one hand you would probably keep some of the Rays fan base, but the move would probably piss off another large chunk so who knows how much of a net positive that is.

Part of the issue in Tampa to me is that the stadium is in the middle of nowhere, probably over an hour just from various parts of Tampa. The Orlando stadium would be right in the middle of everything. Some of the articles mentioned the new SunRail line that's going to be running from the airport to the convention center, I'm sure a stop would be included for the new stadium if this becomes a reality. 

Again I'm not a big baseball fan but  I enjoy a day at the ballpark enough that I'd do a couple games a year. And with this being so close to SeaWorld/Aquatica and Universal there are some great opportunities for some fun weekends. Hit Seaworld in the morning, check into a hotel close by late afternoon then walk over to the stadium district around 5 for dinner and drinks before a 7pm first pitch. Horror Nights on a Saturday in September then a 1m game on Sunday. Lots of potential.