TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

LaQua in Tokyo

let1gre

Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Tokyo for a week in April. I can feasibly swing over to LaQua for a bit and take in some of the attractions there. Would it be worth it to make the trek over? I'd like the opinions of anyone who's been. I'm not terribly picky about my roller coasters, I'd just like to know if Thunder Dolphin is worth the trip/price/wait etc. Or, if there are any other good options in/directly around Tokyo. (Besides the Disney parks... probably already doing those!) Thanks and thanks again!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing that comes to my mind is this: if you only do one park in the Tokyo area, it MUST be Disneysea!!! I know you said that you were probably doing the Disney parks anyways, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I was in Tokyo about 6 years ago, and I'm sure the prices have changed a little since then, but we enjoyed our few hours at LaQua for what it was worth. If I remember correctly, they open and close their rides at strange times though, so be sure to check before and when you get there to make sure you get everything in that you want. Thunder Dolphin was a lot of fun, but it's not on par with other Mega-coasters of it's size, (Expedition Ge-Force and Goliath in Holland come to mind). But, the fact that it is up so high on the building makes it a really cool experience!

Robb and Elissa have definitely more experience with Laqua and I'm sure will give you some sound advice, but I thought I'd give you something to read in the mean time

It really depends on what you like in your park experience (coasters, theming, dark rides, unique experiences, food, etc.)and how much time you want to devote to parks. There are so many parks in and around Tokyo. The public transportation system is excellent. I was there for 4 days or so and was hitting a couple of parks or more a day and I still didn't have time for everything. I was able to get to Hanayashiki, LaQua, Disneyland, DisneySea, Toshimaen, Yomiuriland, Fuji-Q, Tobu Zoo, Yokohama Cosmoworld, and Sea Paradise.

I went to Japan back in 2007 and spent a couple of hours at LaQua. I enjoyed my time there, definitely a unique park (in the middle of the city, interacting with a mall). Though it is a decidedly lackluster ride, I enjoyed Thunder Dolphin (though the fact that it was a walk-on could have colored my perception of the ride...no way would I wait excessively for it). It is very conveniently located, literally IN Tokyo. Personally, I enjoyed Fuji-Q Highland more, though the fact that I was there during an ultra-rare low crowd day definitely affects my opinion. Bear in mind that Fuji-Q is a 2+ hour train ride away. The short version: I liked LaQua. Whatever you do, enjoy Tokyo!

-Doug

La Qua is great little place. It is very conveniently located, and as Chuck said, there is a ton of other things to do in the area. It's too bad Muscle Park is gone , but Joyopolis is pretty cool as well. We also loved Tobu Zoo, and if you go, make sure to visit the Itarian Restaraunt!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. The general opinion seems to be "Not the best, but if you're there, why the heck not?" so that's exactly the attitude I'll adopt! Thanks again.

This is exactly correct. I really like LqQua. it's a great location in a great area. Don't go in expecting Thunder Dolphin to be GeForce or SROS and you'll probably "like" it. It was a disappointment for Elissa and myself, but that's also because we have such high expectations for Intamin hypers. That being said, it DOES fit the Japanese "Jet Coaster" model quite well - being a large sized coaster that doesn't really do a whole lot. Hollywood Dream, Fujiyama and Steel Dragon 2000 are the same way. 200+ feet that feel like they could have done the same ride in about 120 feet.

But to each their own. The Japanese seem to love and I guess as long as they are making their local customers happy....