TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Breckenridge Ski Resort - Alpine Coaster

Planning commission to take a look at the plan during a March 16 meeting

By Bob Berwyn

SUMMIT COUNTY — The Breckenridge planning commission will soon get a chance to review plans for an alpine coaster ride proposed at Peak 8. According to a staff report prepared for the March 16 meeting, the resort would like to place the 2,500-foot-long ride within a stand of lodgepole pines between the Twister and Dyersville ski trails. A similar installation in Canada cost about $2.5 million. Nearby, the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park boasts the Canyon Flyer, billed as the country’s first Alpine coaster.

The ride is aimed boosting animation at the base area and offering an improved entertainment experience to the guests and our community, according to the staff report. The project would include installation of about 3,000 feet of steel track, tree clearing on about .61 acres and construction of a 540 square foot operations building and about half an acre of grading. The staff report describes the coaster is an all-season ride similar to the existing Alpine Slide. The proposed coaster’s cars would be propelled up the track to the beginning of the launch point, similar to a roller coaster.

As proposed, the coaster would operate June 1 through Sept. 15 and from early November to Mid-April, with some nighttime operations. The 111-acre tract of land is zoned for low-density recreational uses. Planners said they don’t think the new attraction would have an impact on parking need, as it would probably be used by guests already on-site.

The staff report also concludes that existing containment systems for runoff and sediment would prevent any impacts to the watershed.

A 4,000-foot Alpine coaster track at Park City Mountain Resort in Utah is a popular amenity at that resort, which charges $20 per ride for adults.

Watch a video of the Alpine coaster ride at Vermont’s Jiminy Peak Mountain here.

Get the full staff report online at the Town of Breckenridge web site.

summitcountyvoice.com/2010/03/12/breckenridge-alpine-coaster-ride-proposed-for-peak-8/

Though I have never ridden Vail's alpine coaster or Glenwood Cavern's, I do believe it is similar to those two. The planned location is towards the beginner-ish side of the mountain and is at the top of the new Gondola and new Hotel. Should it be built, this is a great location as the two lifts coming out of this base always have amazing lines.

Another article can be found on The Denver Post

coaster.jpg.64e31f4de6fae705fb1e5c1b7f031058.jpg

Edited by larrygator

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new alpine coaster has opened in Breckenridge, CO. Here is an article about the new coaster (halfway down the page). I have also found a youtube video of the ride. I hope to get some photos in the next few weeks.

http://www.realvail.com/blog/261/New-Breckenridge-alpine-coaster-a-blast-for-the-kids-after-or-during-a-day-on-the-slopes

Youtube -

This is the second Alpine Coaster in Colorado. The other one is located at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. The Caverns also have one wicked Giant Swing that swings out over the Canyon about 1,300 feet in the air. Check both rides out. http://glenwoodcaverns.com/thrill-rides-in-glenwood-springs.html#swing

^I have POVs of the two rides atop Iron Mountain, as well as the Hot Springs slides.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Glenwood_dn2z[/coastertube]

The Breck coaster looks fun...I might have to go check it out this season!

Morgan you might find more info in this thread: Alpine/Mountain Coasters

I believe the ones in US/Canada are as follows:

Glenwood, Co

Breckenridge, CO (2010)

Park City, UT

Northstar at Tahoe, NV

Jiminy Peak, MA

Okemo, VT (opening on December 11, 2010)

Attitash Mountain, NH (not open yet)

WISP, MD

Spirit Mountain, MN (2010)

Blue Mountain, Ontario (2010)

But I could be missing some, but it appears the number in North America double in 2010.

Edited by larrygator