TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planning a day trip to Hersheypark this weekend

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday should be less crowded. If you aren't interested in The Boardwalk (which is good because lines are horrible with 1 - 1 1/2 hour waits for the lazy river and wave pool), I would ride as many of the coasters as possible while the Boardwalk is open as lines get longer after the Boardwalk closes at 6 and everyone starts going to rides (not to say the rides won't have waits during the day but they will get a lot longer from 6 - 8 or so).

I would get there at opening and ride Fahrenheit and Rollersoaker (if you plan to ride that) right away. I was there last Monday and Rollersoaker was almost a 2 1/2 hour wait in the middle of the day!

Contrary to popular belief, the crowds really haven't been all that bad on Labor Day weekend. I have traveled to HP Labor Day weekends two years in a row and no line has really been insanely long (jinx). Both visits were about the same as far as crowds - it just depends on the ride...

* Roller Soaker: Usually the longest line in the park if it's hot & sunny. 1-3/4 to 2 hours because of the horrible capacity.

* Fahrenheit - Because it is still the newest coaster, plan on about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

* Stormrunner - Usually about a 1/2-3/4 hour wait.

* Great Bear - Varies from 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on when you hit it.

* Comet - Usually about 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

* Other coasters and flats - vary from a walk-on to about 1/2 hour.

All of this is obviously based on the past two years I have gone. This year....hard to say.

The long range forecast is calling for sunny and 80 degrees both Saturday and Sunday! If this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little more crowded.

My advice if you're only there for the day would be to skip the Boardwalk and focus on the amusement park if you're there more for the coasters.

I know one thing though...Hershey is a great park and I know you'll have fun!! I'll be there all weekend and am looking forward to it!!!

^I agree, try to head to the back of the park first. Possibly stopping at Fahrenheit first.

I was at Hershey Park a few weeks ago and the only lines that were really long were Fahrenheit at about and hour and the Roller Soaker that was about 2 hours. The board walk water park is a big draw for most people, especially on the hot days. The lines stay a little shorter, for the coasters and other rides, while the water attractions are open. When it closes the lines get longer. We headed straight back to the Wild Cat, Wild Mouse, and Lightning Racers first and waited only a few minutes for each. I would recommend that plan for your trip.

I went on a Sunday three weeks ago (the place was full but I followed a good strategy) its true about Comet getting packed right away and I can also tell you Farenheight will have a line right away, I was there for gate opening and ran straight to it and line was bad. (One thing people forget is that people that stay at Hershey Resorts get in an hour early) Skipped it and went straight to Storm Runner just hang a right, just shy of where Farenheight is located. This ride was a walk on first thing in most rows. I only had to wait two trains for the front seat. From there I cut through the Boardwalk to get to the back of the park, hit up Lightning Racer, again a walk on. Coming back got on Wildcat, walk on. Checked out Farenheight while passing line was still long. Went to the other corner of the park hit up Great Bear. The Walked down to Super Dooper Looper also a walk on. The line for Farenheight moves slow but the best chance I saw for a shorter line was around the 4pm time frame, just before that I hot up Comet which was better than it had been most of the day with lines. All other coasters had long lines after the 5-7 range.

Rules of the road.

Comet will be bad first thing and in the evening, hit up in between this period.

Farenheight will have a long slow line most of the day, coaster junkies head here at park opening and after people started leaving the boardwalk it was also getting full. So its sort of the Comet strategy, advantage here is that where its located you will be walking past it a lot on the way to other coasters, if you see a line thats accpetable jump on it.

Storm Runner gets overlook somehow and the lines never got extreme from what I saw, again first thing is my advice.

Lightning Racer and Great Bear try to make these your 2nd and 3rd coasters perhaps throwing in Wildcat in between, the walk between the two sucks though, opposite ends.

Super Dooper Looper is almost always a walk on or very short line. So hit up whenever.

Sidewinder- I do not go on (painful memory), so I couldn't tell you.

Trailblazer- family Coaster- popular with kiddies watch for when shows let out this is when lines do get up there for it.

Roller Soaker- Looked packed at all times and didn't look worth it to me.