TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR - Indiana Beach - 8/7

So I was in Indy for Drum Corps International World Championships and decided to go to Indiana Beach for a 3-hour visit. I arrived at 10:30, bought my ride bracelet and was pleasantly surprised that you could walk around the park before the rides opened at 11:00. If they are going to let you in early, you would think they would have some of the food, game, and souvie concessions open – they are missing the chance to make some very easy money! Very nice little park on the water. Love that lots of spin and pukes are on decks over the water. Left at 1:30, so I only got 2.5 hours of ride time, but still got in a lot of rides.

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain – 2 rides: once in the back car facing front, once in the front car facing back. What drugs were the designers on when they created this thing? This ride is simply pure twisted fun with some really outrageous Gs. Love the elevator lift. My only complaint about this ride is the very strong mildew smell in parts of the “mountain”. That smell is also very evident when the train ride goes past the “mountain”. This can’t be healthy.

Hoosier Hurricane – 2 rides – one front seat, one middle of the train. Well this ride has gotten extremely rough. Some decent airtime, but the slamming end brake is ridiculously harsh.

Cornball Express – 2 rides – one front seat, one middle of the train. Much rougher than the hurricane, parts of it felt like riding down a set of stairs in a trash can.

Tig’r – 1 ride – nice little Wild Cat type steel coaster. Really good kid running the brake very smoothly.

Galaxi – 1 ride - felt like a mini Jumbo Jet. OK ride with some nice turns.

Steel Hawg – 1 ride – OK for what it is but not very exciting.

Train Ride – 1 ride – decent train ride that spent too much time looking at the back of buildings.

Air Crow – 1 ride – very impressed that they run this almost as fast as Knoebels. I was able to crack the cables easily (much to the ride ops disapproval). Very cool to be out over the water, but will admit I kind of missed the “about to hit the tree and crash” feeling you get at Knoebels.

Double Shot – 1 ride – an OK Double Shot, same as many other parks.

Since I will be back in Indy next August, I do plan to return. It’s a great little park, one of the best I have been to. A lot of it reminded me of what Geauga Lake was like back in the 60s and early 70s.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice report, hope you had fun!

You said that Cornball was quite rough, was the ride having a bad day or is it ageing badly?

I went to Indiana Beach last summer as well. It seems both Hoosier Hurricane and Cornball Express are getting rougher with age.

I found Hoosier to be a bit more enjoyable this past visit (8/3) than in past visits. That was a last row ride.

Cornball was rough, but it always is. The back row is still balls to the wall fun.

Steel Hawg......yeah. I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll explain my thoughts when I get my PTR up.

Cornball Express – 2 rides – one front seat, one middle of the train. Much rougher than the hurricane, parts of it felt like riding down a set of stairs in a trash can.

Tig’r – 1 ride – nice little Wild Cat type steel coaster. Really good kid running the brake very smoothly.

Galaxi – 1 ride - felt like a mini Jumbo Jet. OK ride with some nice turns.

Since I will be back in Indy next August, I do plan to return. It’s a great little park, one of the best I have been to. A lot of it reminded me of what Geauga Lake was like back in the 60s and early 70s.

A few thoughts: Keep in mind that I hate rough coasters. I found cornball to be decently smooth when I rode it in June. You cannot go to IB without riding cornball in the back row! My first ride was in the back and it was a pretty good ride but I didn't know what to expect. After that we rode it about 4 more times in the back and all our ride were amazing. I'm glad you're going back. Please try cornball at least twice in the back, you'll be glad you did!

Also I think you got Tig'rr and Galaxi mixed up in your report. Tig'rr is the schwarzkopf, Galaxi is the little yellow steel coaster in the middle of all the slides. Glad you like IB though, it really is a special place!

I've never found Cornball to be rough. Sure, it's not B&M smooth, but I don't think that's what most people expect from a woodie.

I haven't been to IB this year, though. If Cornball is falling out of repair, I hope it gets some off-season love.