TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SixFlags AutoWorld

So, I was watching Roger & Me the other day and there was a part where they talk about AutoWorld being built to try to revitalize downtown Flint, MI. I looked on the 'net' and didn't find a whole lot about it. Does anyone have any memories or stories about it?

I found it funny that the town, that was already in a complete economic mess, spent over $100 million (1984 $'s) to build this hoping it would rejuvenate their tourist industry (in Flint MI?) and the place was only open for 6 months!! Sounds kind of like the western amusement park recently that did about the same thing.

But, from the little bit I could find out, they hired SF to manage and plan it. But it was more a museum attraction type place with not much amusement park in it.

Just wondering what others knew about it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had "Autoworld" in the Mid-70's. At that time (Penn Central Railroad owned the parks) the Six flags chain was SFOT, SFOG, SFOMA, Autoworld, Movieland Stars Hall of fame and Japanese Deer Village in Buena Park. Shortly after came SFAW, SFMM and SFGrAdv. Not in that order. Autoworld never really was great. SF was attempting to diversify to year round attractions.

Michael Moore mentioned AutoWorld in his movie, "Roger and Me." Here's a quote:

"Autoworld closed due to a lack of visitors. I guess it was like expecting a million people a year to go to New Jersey to Chemicalworld, or a million people going to Valdez, Alaska for Exxonworld. Some people just don't like to celebrate human tragedy while on vacation."

I seem to recall Autoworld only had one or two rides and one of them was a small ferris wheel.

Back in the 80s, Six Flags also had the Powerplant in downtown Baltimore along the Inner Harbor. We went there in December 1986 while killing time waiting for the Bon Jovi concert at the nearby Baltimore Arena ( now I am showing my age LOL ).

A member of our group saw the "Six Flags" name and said " COOL..we can ride the rides !!". Being from Atlanta he believed this place would be an indoor version of Six Flags Over Georgia.

Ah the Powerplant didnt have any rides. As I recall Baltimore's Six Flags Powerplant only had a few gift shops, snack bars, some shows and other mild stuff. I would like to say they had a fun house but I am not even sure about that one.

Other than the name of the side of building and the appearance of the Looney Tune characters in costume, one would not have known Six Flags was behind this flop.

Needless to say, this concept did not last very long. I believe it was long closed the next time I was in downtown Baltimore in 1992 to see WCW wrestling.