TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Laptop Reccommended Specs

Well, for a graduation present, I'm getting a laptop. But not being the smartest person in this section of knowledge, I'd like your opinion. What specs should I get minimum? I know I want the ability to have mobile internet, but what do I need for that? An internet card or WiFi or what?

As for what I'd do with it, mostly just school stuff, word processing, presentations, maybe some simple games that I can play if I get bored during English.

So what do you reccommend?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your spending limit will help out with what is best for you!

Pretty much all laptops come with Wifi now, at least as an option. This will give you "mobile internet" when you are within a Wireless action point. (Home, School, Maybe Work, Starbucks, etc) If you want truly mobile internet everywhere, you will need a Cellular Modem Card like the Verizon Aircard (Sprint has one too i think) but they require a monthly fee.

Also, Is size/weight an important factor? Or not so much? There are MANY different laptops available right now from little baby portable ones to the BEAST I'm typing this on (Dell XPS 3.4GHz Exteme Edition 2GB RAM $6300, thanks work!) For you, you'd probably just need something like a Pentium Centrino ~1.5GHz machine with 512MB of RAM. I'm a Dell fan, so from them an Inspiron 6000 would probably work out good for you at around $900.

Keep in mind you don't need to get a Dell. I just happen to prefer them and haven't had any problems.. Regardless, the specs above will be fine for an internet/office machine with some limited gaming. If you want to start playing more 3d intensive games you will want to avoid anything with an "Intel" or "Integrated" Video card with shared memory. Look for Nvidia or ATI for that, but you will pay more...

Two almost guaranateed options:

Either a Dell Laditude D600 or D800.

D600 is two ounces lighter, smaller screen (and screen resolutions), but it's fine for me.

D800 has two extra USB ports (four total), Firewire, a 3D video card, a bigger screen (and screen resolution), and I'm thinking of switching to it.

I have an eMachines m6805, and it runs fairly well (despite the brand name). The wide screen is good for gaming and movies, and it's equipped with an ATI 9600 (runs No Limits pretty well). WiFi is included, along with a DVD/CD drive

As for CPU's, AMD based chips are good value. "Mobile" processors are generally better because they are designed to be able to run at a lower speed when idle to prolong battery life.

Other must haves:

PCMCIA slot(s) - Used for expansion

USB/1394 ports - USB 2.0 is standard, and runs reasonably quick for external hard drives, input devices, and such. 1394 ports are generally used for video equipment.

Network card - Along with WiFi, a standard network card is useful for plugging into a home network where WiFi isn't fast enough. I use WiFi to go online when on campus, and when at home when a network cord isn't available.

Hard drive - size depends on what you want to do with it. Bigger is better. Faster is also better, but may take a toll on battery life

Video output - Good for connecting an external monitor or projector.

Memory - More is better. 512mb is a bare minimum

Also consider:

External mouse

Power adapters (ie. auto, aeroplane)

Carrying case - get a good one

Extended warranty