TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno

Hello All--

I thought that this might interest you, especially those who are going to Japan. Now, I normally pay very little attention to fashion (I'm a jeans and T-shirt kind of gal), but I was intrigued by photos of Japanese teenagers in wild dress that I saw--I think--in a TR. Yesterday I found a book called "Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno: Tokyo Teen Fashion Subculture Handbook" by Patrick Macias and Izumi Evers, illustrations by Kazumi Nonaka. It covers major teenage fashion trends in Tokyo and the suburbs from the late 1960s to today. In each section, there is an explanation of why the trend came about and how it influenced society. There are also photos, of course, as well as cute illustrations. Two of the stranger (and short-lived) trends are Gongoro, the Japanese version of blackface, and Kigurumin, where teenage girls would walk around in public dressed as cows, bears, kangaroos, and hamster costumes via cheap cloth costumes and character pajamas. So if this piques your interest, check it out.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome pics y'all. I just find it fascinating, because in this country...

Well, okay, in Northampton, MA, where I live (though I bounce around a lot), one could get away with dressing very strangely (though the style isn't quite THAT strange), as strange is our way of life, but in much of this country, such crazy styles would not be well tolerated. They meet opposition in Tokyo, but being "out there" can get your picture in fashion mags, and it can only take one person (non-celebrity) to start an all-out trend.

I've gotta get me to Japan one of these days. I could spend most of a vacation people watching. [/i]

^ It's where you dress up as any character from a tv show, game, or even a book, but most people dress up as anime characters. Then you get together an roleplay as those characters, or you can just sit and chat at a convention with other friends that you have yet to meet.

I urge everyone to cosplay at least once in your life, it sounds dorky, but people are friendly, and it's a great way to let loose and do things you would normally never do.

Most of the Cosplayer in Japan are uncool kids from the outskirts of town. They all get together at the weekend to dress up as their favourite characters. They all travel in their normal clothes and get changed again before returning home.

You will see most of them have suitcases with them that they carry their normal clothes in.

Most parents do not know their kids are involved in cosplay.

IMGA2626.JPG.595c1debe6d4a147619b4f9581ab5292.JPG

IMGA2648.JPG.6a5ef81f453f713eeecd0b3d2a7d35f1.JPG

IMGA2690.JPG.2cb169dc33484d67e4b10041212eaf69.JPG