The 2018 Lunar New Year Celebration at DCA!

Photos from media day!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Gelato isn't vegan?"

The 2018 Lunar New Year Celebration at DCA!

Postby ILoveRides » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:01 am

It’s become an annual tradition at Disney California Adventure (DCA) to ring in the Lunar New Year with a giant cultural celebration, and this year is no different. For 2018 the celebration runs for 24 days: January 26 through February 18. Guests can enjoy special entertainment, copious amounts of cultural food and drinks, special character meet-and-greets, and the return of the “Hurry Home — Lunar New Year Celebration” World of Color pre-show. We attended media night on January 26 and had a wonderful time. Check out our report below to join us on our adventure and get a taste of what this event has to offer!
001.JPG
It’s 2018 - the year of the Dog! And we’re at DCA getting ready to check in to the Lunar New Year celebration media event! Check-in is to the left, lets go...
002.JPG
Well, I think it’s to the left. Then again, maybe it’s to the right. Hmmm. We’ll find it eventually!
003.jpg
After narrowly avoiding a Dilophosaurus, we found check-in and headed into the park. Disney Ambassador Mikey Trujillo, Show Director Carla Carlile, and DCA General Manager Gary Maggetti welcomed us to the event and let us know what to expect!
004.JPG
Executive Chef John State then introduced some of the special food and drink options available only during the Lunar New Year celebration!
005.JPG
There’s way more than we can list here - so we’ll show just a small sample of what’s available. Pictured here is Japchae – sweet potato noodles, onions, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, spinach, snow peas, broccolini and lightly sautéed tofu tossed with sesame oil and sweet and spicy sauce and topped with toasted sesame seeds. Pretty fancy for an amusement park, right?
006.JPG
Banh Chu’ng – sticky rice cake with pork.
007.JPG
Banh Mi Thit Nuong – marinated pork belly, pickled carrots and daikon with cucumber, cilantro, seasoned mayonnaise and jalapeño on a crispy baguette.
008.JPG
Sanbeiji – Three-cup chicken.
009.JPG
Brittney loved the Baixiangguo Lucha – Passion fruit green iced tea with lychee popping pearls.
010.JPG
Banh Khoai Lang Tim – Purple sweet potato macaron. These are almost too pretty to eat!
011.JPG
There’s a bunch of special merchandise just for the event as well!
012.JPG
These red gift envelopes with a Disney twist are my favorite merchandise item.
013.JPG
There are shirts, snow-globes, pins, and more celebrating the year of the Dog.
014.JPG
Disney always considers all the details. I love the Mickey on the water dispenser!
015.JPG
The centerpieces on the tables were beautiful as well.
016.JPG
But enough about the press conference - lets go see all the entertainment!
017.JPG
We’ll start near Paradise Gardens where Mulan's Lunar New Year Procession is about to begin!
018.JPG
Here comes the procession!
019.JPG
The performers all have beautiful costumes.
020.JPG
Mulan and Mushu strike a pose!
021.JPG
Goofy is dressed as the “God of Good Fortune.”
022.JPG
There’s lots of dancing.
023.JPG
These women dance with vibrant pink fans.
024.JPG
The dancing dragon is my favorite part!
025.JPG
I love that the performances are all authentic with just a hint of Disney magic thrown in.
026.JPG
The colors are stunning!
027.JPG
There’s so much energy and movement in the show as well!
028.JPG
It’s a really great show - definitely worth seeing!
029.JPG
Bye bye dragon!
030.JPG
Bye bye Goofy!
031.JPG
Next we'll head over to Paradise Park to see Gugu Drum Group.
032.JPG
These performers are from Shanghai, China.
033.JPG
The drumming is really impressive.
034.JPG
And the costumes are equally impressive!
035.JPG
Here the performers used their instruments as storytelling devices.
036.JPG
Using just his drums, he’s bringing to life the sounds of a cat.
037.JPG
It’s cool hearing a story with no words!
038.JPG
There were some funny bits as well!
039.JPG
Here the performers shared drums between themselves.
040.JPG
The giant drum on the left is loud!
041.JPG
You can FEEL it!
042.JPG
Don’t miss Gugu Drum Group!
043.JPG
As night fell we ordered some Japchae and chowed down while listening to the live music of Dat Nguyen.
044.JPG
Dat Nguyen plays traditional and original compositions on a variety of instruments—from classical guitar to lute, flute and melodica.
045.JPG
That looks like such a fun instrument to play!
046.JPG
After dinner we met up with Pluto who licked us on our cheeks and wished us a Happy New Year!
047.JPG
You can make a wish for the new year, write it down, and tie it on this wall for good fortune!
048.JPG
Or just admire the wishes that others have shared!
049.JPG
Here’s the Lunar New Year signage lit up at night.
050.JPG
Let’s head back over to Paradise Park!
051.JPG
It’s almost time for “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” and “World of Color.”
052.JPG
Hurry Home begins! This 6-minute pre-show for World of Color can only be seen during the Lunar New Year celebration.
053.JPG
The show tells the story of Little Lantern trying to find his way home to his family during their annual gathering to celebrate good fortune for the upcoming year.
054.JPG
A quick stop for food on the way home can’t hurt, right?
055.JPG
The show is filled with gorgeous art.
056.JPG
Mulan makes an appearance as well.
057.JPG
The musical score for the show was composed by Tan Dun. It was originally composed for the opening ceremony of the Shanghai Disney Resort.
058.JPG
Little Lantern made it to his family! Yay!
059.JPG
There’s a dog animation at the end to celebrate 2018!
060.JPG
Then Happy New Year appears in many different languages.
061.JPG
And fireworks burst in the sky! This show definitely packs a lot into 6 minutes!
062.JPG
And then afterwards the spotlights turn on and you’re treated to World of Color!
063.JPG
Definitely the best way to end your night at DCA!
064.JPG
I think the Pixar characters in the show are getting excited for “Pixar Pier” which is already well under construction.
065.JPG
The alien is noticing that the roller coaster’s loop is missing!
066.JPG
It wouldn’t be World of Color without fire!
067.JPG
Lots and lots of fire!
068.JPG
More color!
069.JPG
More fire!
070.JPG
So pretty!
071.JPG
Does it have to end?
072.JPG
Before we left I took one last shot of the Paradise Pier logo - its days are definitely numbered! While we can’t wait to see what new fun Pixar Pier offers in Summer 2018, Paradise Pier will always hold a special spot in our hearts!
073.JPG
In our opinion The Lunar New Year Celebration at DCA is one of the best times of the year to visit the park. There’s great entertainment, food, merchandise, and shows on top of everything else DCA has to offer! The Lunar New Year Celebration runs through February 18, so don’t miss it! Thanks to Disney for throwing such an awesome event and inviting us to attend, and thanks to you for checking out our report!

I own the website www.donkey.com

Re: The 2018 Lunar New Year Celebration at DCA!

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 am

Great report! I love all the details that Disney put towards their events and shows! Such a great place! =)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Bubba » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

Wow this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing this as I'm definitely going to make this event a goal next year. The WOC show looks like great in your photos and a nice pace of change from the usual Disney shows.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am

Fantastic report of what seems like a fastastic day! The drumming looked great even without hearing the music, and that's a fun little addition to World of Color. Thanks!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!