TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ripley's Coming to Williamsburg?

Williamsburg, Va., already the home of Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Presidents Park (the home of GIANT presidents heads), and the Pottery (where you never saw so much crap for sale in your life), might be getting a Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum in the next few years. Here's a link to the story in the latest

Virginia Gazette: http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-news1_102605oct26,0,1214968.story?coll=va-news.

This is Ripley's second attempt to build in Virginia's Colonial Capital. They presented a concept to Williamsburg's Architectural Review Board and City Council a few years ago--it looked remarkably like WDW's Haunted Mansion and was summarily rejected. Seems that Williamsburg doesn't approve of reproductions of "historic buildings" on the Richmond Road tourist corridor, which is a bit ironic (as the article points out) because Colonial Williamsburg consists of mostly, well, reproductions of "historic buildings."

Will this second attempt fly? Hard to say, but the Architectural Review Board liked Ripley's new concept (a reworking of an existing restaurant on Richmond Road). So, stay tuned, lovers of the bizarre or unexplainable.

As the host of the old Ripley show, Jack Palance, might say, "Believe it, or else!"

Chuck "Yeah, I'll probably check it out if they build it" Campbell

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ouch. I would hate to see this happen... I can't stand Ripley's, a little too touristy for me.

What's interesting about this to me is that most of the real "touristy" attractions in the Williamsburg area aren't actually in the city of Williamsburg; for example, Busch Gardens and Water Country are in York County, and the Pottery and outlet malls are in James City County. The Richmond Road corridor is a mass of motels and restaurants, but no real "attractions," per se, with the exception of one mini-golf course (and it's tucked away).

The late Bob Denver did propose a "Gilligan's Island" mini-golf course, but that was shot down. Why has Ripley's suddenly become "acceptable"? Possibly because hotel occupancy has been down, I think, thanks to the decline of "historical tourism" (although tourism is looking up in the 'Burg this year).

Time will tell.

• 4 months later...
Williamsburg, Va., already the home of Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Presidents Park (the home of GIANT presidents heads), and the Pottery (where you never saw so much crap for sale in your life), might be getting a Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum in the next few years.

Hmm--better make that the "next few months" if the sign below is to be believed.

Looks like Ripley's has jumped through all the essential hoops, and they've started work on their new museum and theater in Williamsburg. The site is an old building on Richmond Road that was home to three failed restaurants: Bob Evans, Klondike Steakhouse, and the Dakota Bay Grille. Will Ripley's somehow defeat the dreaded curse of "The Bad Place Where No One Can Make a Go of It"? Stay tuned. I'll try to post more pics as the project moves ahead.

1612023339_SignBldg3-5-06.JPG.534a6914c5f9947524cb4df0ed36c06f.JPG

This building previously held three failed restaurants--believe it, or not!

I think Ripley's is really cool. They have some pretty unique stuff. It is probably a "tourist trap" but Williamsburg has been hurt since 9-11 and needs anything to boost tourism. The Giant President's Head's just aren't getting it done (what a surprise )

A new Ripley's should give a slight boost but not anything huge. They probably want to keep people in the area by giving them more stuff to do.

As I recall, Ripley's is planning to use the existing building (on multiple levels), but I imagine they're going to expand it. An expansion would be necessary, it seems to me. It was a pretty good-sized restaurant.

1721254847_Bldg3-5-06.JPG.d88113c361e090cd232893ce005ff297.JPG

Here's a shot of the building without the sign in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Williamsburg (Pocohontas trail) and worked at BGW for over 13+ yrs. I live in Hawaii now (11yrs) and returning back to BGW and Williamsburg by end of the year. I dont recall what that building is/was (unless it was built in last 10yrs..lol). Hey, if the Ripleys does not get built/opened they can always add a Hooters restaurant..lol

Is Cracker Barrel still there? I actually liked that place..lol As far as the pottery?...Ugh...I remember as a teenager I had to go to that pitfall with mom and they would just stay there for hours upon end....talk about pulling teeth...Ill take the root canal any day!