TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] Topaz Park - ON INDEFINITE HOLD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

November 1979

Charles Moore, Maintenance Manager

Hi! I am Charles Moore, the maintenance manager at Topaz Park. I've been working at the park for nearly nine years now. Today, I am ready to reveal the new ride for the new decade.

14845290375_b95fefe643_c.jpg

Ocean: The Ride

The new ride for 1980 is Ocean, a Huss Enterprise. This is certainly not the first Enterprise, but it is the most thrilling ride our park has acquired. Sixteen gondolas are placed around a large, metal circle. The circle is then raised and spun around. This results in the rider being spun around upside down. It's a very fun ride, but don't eat before riding.

14842834964_428b7d8616_c.jpg

In other park news, Buffet USA will be gone by next year. It was meant to be a nice little restaurant that opened during the bi-centennial of America. However, few guests have eaten here and it's been making losses since day one. Craig is trying to find out what can be occupied in this space. I'm pretty sure that no one will miss the restaurant, but for the few who do, let's say goodbye.

14855170935_1c460dc8f1_c.jpg

YES! Perfect addition for Topaz Park, love the name btw. It's sad that such relatively new & large restaurant, such as Buffet USA, had to close so soon. I could see an arcade or possibly multi-use building. Whatever becomes of it, I'm sure Topaz management will make good usage of the building.

personal minuscule nitpick; it seems odd that the ride tilts away from the midway instead of towards it so the guests don't have to see the ugly mechanical underside.

(or maybe I'm not getting the full picture )

Maybe a new, improved restaurant? Or an old style dark ride?

The name Ocean is a cool name for an Enterprise! I'm thinking the restaurant will be turned into a dark ride.

There will be no dark ride. However, a new restaurant will occupy the space, though it will not use the same building.

YES! Perfect addition for Topaz Park, love the name btw. It's sad that such relatively new & large restaurant, such as Buffet USA, had to close so soon. I could see an arcade or possibly multi-use building. Whatever becomes of it, I'm sure Topaz management will make good usage of the building.

personal minuscule nitpick; it seems odd that the ride tilts away from the midway instead of towards it so the guests don't have to see the ugly mechanical underside.

(or maybe I'm not getting the full picture )

Unfortunately, I already demolished the building before writing the last update. However, Topaz management will make good use of that land. With Ocean, I already plotted down the ride space before building the ride. But I like this position.

----

June 1980

Herbert Jere, Student

My name is Herbert Jere, a student at the University of Utah. It was spring break, and my friends wanted me to visit this place called Toapz Park. I have heard of this park before, but I never had the chance to visit the park until now. My camera is not the best, so bear with me.

14681897728_33903ace4a_c.jpg

By the time I arrived at Topaz Park, it was already dark. The park closes at midnight, so I had some time to ride on some of the rides.

14866063824_0e00c775fa_c.jpg

I love this ride! It's called the Rotor. Basically, the inside spins around. When the platform drops, you're sticking on the wall. Awesome.

14845534736_145510f638_c.jpg

The Topaz Whip sounded dangerous. However, it's just a ride that circles you around. This is not a good ride.

14866061714_018a97ea8c_c.jpg

This was the entrance to the Elk or something like that. It's a fun ride with a nice loop. I like it!

14681837410_0680cbb4af_c.jpg

This was the Twisted Beehive. It's a great wooden roller coaster with lots of turns and drops. I even hopped out of my seat a few times!

14865445521_11ef4851f6_c.jpg

The parachutes seemed like a nice ride, but all it provides is good views. I want thrills, not views!

14681836680_a41eb3a3d0_c.jpg

My map had an advertisement for this Ocean ride, which is isolated from the rest of the park. Let's just say that I lost my dinner after riding.

Overall, I had an enjoyable time at Topaz Park. Is the one hour drive worth it? Maybe. I wish there were more thrill rides, but other than that, this is a great park. I decided to buy this postcard from the souvenir shop, which was just hidden behind the trees.

14845531506_4663dbee65_c.jpg

I think it's weird that the narrator complains of The Whip sounding dangerous, but not of Rotor. Rotor's floor drops out, which many people would consider more dangerous. Anyways, the park looks great at night time! Ocean looks very well placed.

I think it's weird that the narrator complains of The Whip sounding dangerous, but not of Rotor. Rotor's floor drops out, which many people would consider more dangerous. Anyways, the park looks great at night time! Ocean looks very well placed.

Thanks for the comment! I have to agree that the park looks nice at night. Now, about Topaz Whip and Rotor. According to Wikipedia,

A whip is a tool traditionally used by humans to exert control over animals or other people, through pain compliance or fear of pain, although in some activities whips can be used without use of pain, such as an additional pressure aid in dressage.

With a ride called Topaz Whip, you would expect a dangerous ride. The first thing I think of when I hear the word "whip" is pain. Rotor doesn't ring a bell for amusement park noobs. So yeah.

----

August 1980

Craig Spencer, Park Manager.

Hello there. This is Craig Spencer, manager of Topaz Park. Today was my day off, so I decided to walk around the park once more. It was a beautiful August day, perfect for walking around.

14876927262_5662d67427_c.jpg

Ah, good old Skydive. You can see the tower from anywhere in the park. Unfortunately, there were no parachutes rising. Where are all the people?

14874817014_a4abe31837_c.jpg

On the left is where Buffet USA used to stand. I have something planned for this area, and I think the general public will love it.

14877259425_0bd9b23694_c.jpg

Topaz Park really needs more toilet facilities! This facility is always overcrowded.

14897130003_17331ec842_c.jpg

Twisted Beehive was a walk on today. Of course, it's quite disappointing. I really need to do something about it. Perhaps we need more marketing...

14897129483_9043f019a8_c.jpg

At least people are buying food! Personally, these burgers are not the best, but it's good enough for the price.

14876923222_9309153409_c.jpg

This was the line for Ocean. No one was willing to go on. Perhaps the ride is too intense for some people...

At this point, we really need more people to come to our park. Come November, I will reveal my plans for next year. Topaz Park is a really lovely park, and I don't want it to close down.

Aww. It's a shame not more people are noticing this park (less lines for Twisted Beehive though). However, strong marketing could REALLY help out a smaller park, such as Topaz Park.

I've never really taken notice, until now, but Skydive has a lovely color scheme. A big eatery, shop, theater combo would be a great for the park. And could easily fit in that space. The biggest bang for your buck!

Aww. It's a shame not more people are noticing this park (less lines for Twisted Beehive though). However, strong marketing could REALLY help out a smaller park, such as Topaz Park.

I've never really taken notice, until now, but Skydive has a lovely color scheme. A big eatery, shop, theater combo would be a great for the park. And could easily fit in that space. The biggest bang for your buck!

Skydive's paint scheme is actually Utah's state colors, black and yellow. It's the little things that help make things amazing. This update is the announcement update, so you'll see some new things.

----

November 1980

Craig Spencer, Park Manager

Well, another year has gone by with rather disappointing results. Attendance dropped 3% from last year, despite the addition of Ocean. Today, I'm announcing a statewide advertising campaign, which will include ads in newspapers and local television stations. In turn, this will increase attendance at Topaz Park, and therefore be more profitable.

I will also be stepping down as park manager after nearly a decade. This will allow me to be the owner of my own company, Spencer Properties. I declare my little brother, Mike Spencer, to be the new manager of Topaz Park.

14877846801_ddbfe4e4e9_c.jpg

We have hired Adalberto Nicodemo, a local artist, to paint our concept art photos. This is concept art for our new Forest Market, a place for local businesses to show off their products. Businesses will be able to lease a booth for an entire season. After that, they may choose to renew the lease or not. Businesses will get 75% of their profits while Topaz Park will get 25% of their profits. The Forest Market will occupy the space once held by Buffet USA.

14880548322_382467678d_c.jpg

Our ferris wheel will be relocated to the Boardwalk area. While the old location didn't give much of a view, this new location will be pointing towards Lake Topaz. The view is better and this ride really fits in with the Boardwalk.

14694211890_18112706a2_c.jpg

The space once held by the ferris wheel will now be a place for the Salt Lake Nursery to show off their beautiful topiaries. This area will allow our guests to rest rather nicely.

----

Author's Note

On Thursday, August 14, I will be going to Knott's Berry Farm along with my family. Because of this, I will be unable to post park updates during this time. After this, school will start on Monday, August 25. From that date, don't expect to see too many updates.

The new location for the Ferris Wheel looks like it will give some awesome views! Too bad updates will become less frequent soon, I really like this park!

The location of a ride is really what makes it special. I know you're a little upset that updates will be infrequent soon, but that's just the way things are.

Aha! Just like the Valley Market.

I thought the boardwalk could use more rides, and a simple relocation is excellent when considering budget and attendance drop. Lovely park!

Yup, just like the Valley Market. The Boardwalk is always expanding, and this relocation should be beneficial.

----

May 1981

Mike Spencer, Park Manager

Hello there! My name is Mike Spencer, the new manager of Topaz Park. I am so excited to be working at this great park, let alone be the manager of it. For my first year, Craig will have to supervise me, in order for him to know that I'm doing everything right. Opening day of the park is tomorrow, so I will give you a behind the scenes tour of Topaz Park.

14706144837_c222644e57_c.jpg

You have all seen Skydive from the ground, but have you ever seen it from above! Charles Moore, the maintenance manager of Topaz Park, took these pictures from the maintenance platform. As you can see, we have added a flag on top of the tower.

14706006400_75a70fe73a_c.jpg

14892346032_2747e5c130_c.jpg

The views you get from up here is stunning. Our maintenance crew here at the park must be very brave! It's a long way up and a long way down.

14889629961_ac98b3516d_c.jpg

Back on the ground, you can see our new Forest Market, a place for local businesses to show off their products. There are currently five booths, with more room for expansion on the sides.

14706141477_4c0673974a_c.jpg

These two booths on the left are the Candy Corner, a candy shop, and Ultimate Shirt Stop, a chain of shirt shops.

14706084398_67ce75ebaa_c.jpg

This is our very own Deli USA, which is a tribute to our old Buffet USA. Fresh hot sandwiches and meats are all in this booth.

14892666505_81daebe1e5_c.jpg

These two booths are a toy shop and Pin Point, selling pins and keychains.

14892341232_3bd9489524_c.jpg

Our merry-go-round would not start up at all. The maintenance crew here at Topaz Park has no idea what's going on. I would hate to see it closed tomorrow.

14892664355_5176f2b4ed_c.jpg

Over in the Boardwalk, you can see our relocated ferris wheel. The new location fits the Boardwalk well and provides better views.

14706036359_9538bcb8ea_c.jpg

Guess what? Our park is now partnered with Provo's Hive, a honey company based in Provo. Guests can now enjoy honey slush, honey glazed fries, and honey ice cream. These items may be a bit more expensive, but it's worth is.

June 1981

Deven Ackerman, Coaster Enthusiast

I have been living in the Salt Lake City area for about ten years now. This year, I saw an advertisement for this place called Topaz Park. Apparently, they've been open for twenty years, but I just heard about the park now. There were two coaster that seemed thrilling. One was a PTC woodie and the other was a Schwarzkopf looping coaster. I'm in!

14884639806_345debc504_c.jpg

The main entrance was nothing to write home about. Just a plain, brick ticket booth and an information center.

14904561191_52ff48effa_c.jpg

When I exited the information center, I immediately noticed this parachute ride called Skydive. This is simply a wonderful tribute to Coney Island. Skydive provides great views. Tame, but it's fun.

14904560041_32e413ae58_c.jpg

The park's merry-go-round was closed, which was disappointing. The maintenance guy working told me that it has been closed all season.

14907267742_77961608ce_c.jpg

However, the park's rotor was doing just fine. I really enjoy rotors, but they almost always make me very dizzy.

14904557911_2ac4e1cc3e_c.jpg

Luckily, this park came prepared. There was a nice seating area nearby the rotor. Very relaxing indeed.

14904556441_ec820ce4c8_c.jpg

Right next to the rotor, I found the Topaz Whip. It's a classic whip ride that's pretty tame. However, it's a fun ride overall.

14904555411_517e4405b0_c.jpg

After riding those flats, it was time for me to ride The Rocky Mountain Elk, the Schwarzkopf looping coaster. I love it! It has plenty of hills, twists, and turns. The ride even has a section that goes through the loop.

14907263152_d153f0d8ac_c.jpg

The line for Twisted Beehive, the PTC woodie, wasn't nearly as long. However, it's actually a decent ride! There's plenty of air time, especially at the end.

14907262332_749b3907ee_c.jpg

I really like these black and white tulips! This pattern was in front of the go-karts.

14907260782_d0acb65a69_c.jpg

There was another section of the park called the boardwalk. This was Ocean, a HUSS Enterprise. It's a fun ride, but I became dizzy again.

14720942380_6a3f4830ff_c.jpg

I received a park coupon from a bottle of Provo's Hive, and apparently, Topaz Park sells Provo's Hive honey. I grabbed an ice cold honey slush. Very sweet.

In the end, I enjoyed Topaz Park. The two coasters were great and the collection of flats was decent. Would I come again? Maybe. This is just a family ran park, so you won't find much here. However, check it out if you have time.

I'm just going to make a quick update and skip to 1982. Also, if you haven't already, I would appreciate it if you would check out my photo TR on Knott's Berry Farm. Click here to read. With this update, I will ditch using Flickr and instead upload photos directly to Theme Park Review. Enjoy!

July 1982

Hello! This is Mike Spencer again, manager of Topaz Park. Today, I will be responding to feedback sent by our guests.

Honey products? Well, that sounds very appetizing.

I love the simplistic beauty of Topaz Park, it's one of the few parks I genuinely enjoy reading about.

Provo's Hive honey is, in fact, very appetizing. The honey is thick, sticky, and has the right amount of sweetness. It's only sold in the state of Utah and is freshly delivered to our park every day.

(YC2011: I thank you for reading about Topaz Park. I wanted some good feedback, but I honestly didn't think that Topaz Park would be very successful.)

Today, I took a visit to Topaz Park and see how everything is going.

Shot0000.png.cb75d7d850873886ec068b4b19a2a4fc.png

We have removed our Carrousel and sold it for scrap. Two years ago, the ride had frequent periods of downtime, and last year, it never carried a single rider.

Shot0001.png.5dd03458b52bc39dc3bf05071654f18b.png

Oh, The Rocky Mountain Elk. After so many years, this is still my favorite ride! The Germans are geniuses.

Shot0002.png.7b56c1865fb06534ee54b395be7258f8.png

Skydive is such an icon. All the parachutes have people inside! This is great news for us.

Shot0003.png.5b353224cf757177c9b57be3878d01e0.png

The sun shines on Twisted Beehive. Unfortunately, this coaster still doesn't really attract guests.

Shot0004.png.eecf4725b106de6437d2a0d7d71b6de3.png

The Topaz Trampoline is perfect for kids, am I right?

Shot0005.png.edea54252679621ffef85e853f25c7ec.png

Ocean is at full capacity!

Shot0006.png.1de19bd19f88f05260f5b47f9cce858d.png

From the edge of the pier, you can see Skydive. A very nice view indeed.

Shot0007.png.abe2e085f83f6852931e34cfb72c5f31.png

Yuck, litter. I need to hire more janitors...

No more carousel? Well, good. Topaz doesn't need unreliable intamin-ish attractions. It is a shame that Twisted Beehive isn't that popular, especially considering how awesome it is. Oh well. At least Ocean seems popular. Again, I love the colors you chose for Skydive, it's such a photogenic attraction.

P.S. Your janitors are lazy.

The Salt Lake Times

Tuesday, September 7, 1982

Leaked.png.08631a7aec1d176aa3c84f8fcbf150a4.png

The leaked photo is shown here.

Image for New Topaz Park Ride Leaked

TOPAZ, UTAH - A person who claims to work at Topaz Park sent us a picture of "their new ride" for 1983. The picture was in black and white and was faded, but here at The Salt Lake Times, we can see a tower. No more details about Topaz Park's new ride has been released. We have tried to reach Mike Spencer, manager of Topaz Park, but we can not reach him. Topaz Park usually announces new ride details in November. However, will this date be pushed back this year?

September 1982

Before I announce our new ride next year, I want to say that I am very disappointed. This is simply inexcusable behavior on behalf of one of our park employees. As you might have known, one of our maintenance personnel, which will remain anonymous at this time, sent an image to The Salt Lake Times showing off our new ride. According to surveillance footage, he went into the Spencer Properties headquarters, took a piece of concept art, and copied it using our Xerox machine. The said employee has been fired and is no longer working for Topaz Park.

Now, onto my announcements. Next year, we will be introducing our annual pass. A Topaz Park Annual Pass grants you unlimited visits to our park for one year. This makes it easier for locals who visit our park regularly. Instead of buying multiple one-day tickets, they can buy an annual pass. This pass is the same size as a credit card, so it easily fits in your wallet.

1171111751_AnnualPass.png.4e8bda1b9920c36217af9fafd577f70a.png

This is what our annual pass will look like.

Ticket prices will also be raised. Adult tickets will now be $20. Child tickets (ages 2-12) will still be $10. Senior tickets will now be $10. Children under two get in for free. Seniors must show valid ID while toddlers must have a valid birth certificate. Annual passes for adults will be $40. Child and senior passes will be $20. Toddlers are unable to get annual passes.

Now it's time for our new ride announcement. A lot of people already know what the ride is, but for those who don't it's time to reveal...

Sink!

Shot0003.png.1ff6055f3d534782d1d41d42328ff6bf.png

Sink! is a freefall attraction built by the Swiss company Intamin.

Shot0004.png.003ba6be846b2c324c54c56fc460573e.png

Riders are elevated up a tower over 100 feet tall.

Shot0005.png.3ab45b1b6f6693b201351295a94925cb.png

Then, riders suddenly sink to the bottom!

This is a huge investment for our park, but I'm sure that it will be worth it. The Boardwalk area really needed some more rides, and this is our answer. You can start riding Sink! starting in 1983.