TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why Looping Coasters Deserve a Separate Top Ten List

Maverick is a great ride, as are many coasters with inversions, I think a separate ranking could help, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

Again, this is your opinion. Maverick in my eyes is one of the worst designed coasters ever built. I hate feeling like a rag doll on a coaster, and that's how I felt on my rides.

And as someone said earlier, if we start splitting up rankings, then soon we will have things like "#1 Steel Coaster With 4 Inversions In North Carolina!". Maybe not, but an award is for excellence, not just being good. If that were the case, then the Oscars should go the route of the Golden Globes (Best Picture in comedy/musical and drama). Which to me isn't so so special as just winning Best Picture and it covers all genres.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Full disclosure: 3 of my top 10 are loopers are 6, 7, & 8. So, I'm likely a bit biased from the jump.

Personally, I find it difficult to compare loopers and non-loopers when I compile my top ten lists. But, on the other hand, I can see everyone's point about there being too many lists. I don't think three lists would be too many, but then again I really like data, critiques, reviews, and top lists. It is worth noting that Mitch could just have the one list, but instead he decided to separate wood and steel.

And I don't agree at all that having loopers and non-loopers opens the door up for a list for every type. I don't have the time, but I'd bet if someone went to RCDB or did some number cruching, they would find that the world's coasters are something like: 10% wood, 20% steel looping, and 70% steel non looping. These are just guesses.

Those three categories are large enough percentages of the overall coaster population to merit three lists. Again, I love polls, rankings, lists, etc. I understand that the appetite for these things is pretty varied. I can see both sides and I'm trying to see this from other enthusiasts and the gp's point of view, not just mine.

Basically, if there's a wide-reaching preference shift it doesn't quite seem fair (to me) that loopers get left out. Maybe this is just payback for all those years of OTSR headbanging.

By my count, almost half of Mitch's top 50 have an inversion of some sort. I think I need another explanation about why we need to rank looping coasters separately. The OP's logic is losing me.

He referenced a post I wrote where I pointed out that the Golden Ticket Awards' top ten steel coasters list was loopless for the first time (ever?). I know all about the GTA's reputation and I prefer Mitch's poll. I was just noting the lack of loopers when the results came out last year.

IMO, adavis's logic contradicts itself. Since every ride offers different experiences to different riders, why is it necessary to rank every type of coaster individually? Everybody has their own preferences on what they like to see on coasters, some people love airtime, others love laterals, etc. I believe that the rankings show how one ride experience is better than the other. I know personally that when I rank coasters, I rank them by my experience on the ride. Since each ride is unique because of manufacturer, maintenance, etc., why should we separate another category of coasters because they are different than others. Unique ride experiences merit a higher ranking in the polls.

I can understand the wood poll separation though because of the difference in materials, capabilities, and maintenance issues that steel roller coasters don't have, but who says that a ride with inversions can't have an awesome first drop or a great airtime hill?

My advice to adavis (other than to treat people better if you want to earn their respect) is that if you feel strongly about this..

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Start the poll! Do it yourself. Promote it and get others to embrace it.

And most importantly DON'T GIVE UP ON IT! Do you think Mitch Hawker's poll got 700 responses in it's first couple of years? No. It's taken him 15 years to get that to where it is now.

Like I said in my previous post, coming to a forum and presenting an idea, and then being kind of rude to those who question your idea isn't going to get you many followers. And even those who were on board with your idea, might jump ship from the way they see you treat others.

Take your idea and run with it!

And IMO, your most important things to get people on board are:

1. How you idea is presented.

2. How you respond to people who question your idea.

3. Sticking with the idea for the long-term.

There are a lot of "good ideas" out there that don't have a strong following the first time it's presented, but over time can grow into something people embrace. Just look at Nightmare Before Christmas as an example. That movie was a box office failure. But today, it's one of Disney's key franchises.

That's my thoughts on the matter. Just trying to help you out.

--Robb

IMO, adavis's logic contradicts itself. Since every ride offers different experiences to different riders, why is it necessary to rank every type of coaster individually? Everybody has their own preferences on what they like to see on coasters, some people love airtime, others love laterals, etc. I believe that the rankings show how one ride experience is better than the other. I know personally that when I rank coasters, I rank them by my experience on the ride. Since each ride is unique because of manufacturer, maintenance, etc., why should we separate another category of coasters because they are different than others. Unique ride experiences merit a higher ranking in the polls.

I can understand the wood poll separation though because of the difference in materials, capabilities, and maintenance issues that steel roller coasters don't have, but who says that a ride with inversions can't have an awesome first drop or a great airtime hill?

By this logic, and I do agree to some extent, why rank any coasters? They are all personal experiences. That said, it is kind of nifty to know you are going on something recognized as one of the best of its kind. For example, I've never ridden Bizzarro, and were it not so highly regarded, it would be difficult to justify the drive to ride it. Rankings, as stupid and vacuous as they can be, can also give guidance to where otherwise ignored rides might be, especially for those less educated on such a subject.

My advice to adavis (other than to treat people better if you want to earn their respect) is that if you feel strongly about this..

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Start the poll! Do it yourself. Promote it and get others to embrace it.

And most importantly DON'T GIVE UP ON IT! Do you think Mitch Hawker's poll got 700 responses in it's first couple of years? No. It's taken him 15 years to get that to where it is now.

Like I said in my previous post, coming to a forum and presenting an idea, and then being kind of rude to those who question your idea isn't going to get you many followers. And even those who were on board with your idea, might jump ship from the way they see you treat others.

Take your idea and run with it!

And IMO, your most important things to get people on board are:

1. How you idea is presented.

2. How you respond to people who question your idea.

3. Sticking with the idea for the long-term.

There are a lot of "good ideas" out there that don't have a strong following the first time it's presented, but over time can grow into something people embrace. Just look at Nightmare Before Christmas as an example. That movie was a box office failure. But today, it's one of Disney's key franchises.

That's my thoughts on the matter. Just trying to help you out.

--Robb

I agree Robb. This was more of an idea than it was a system, but I do agree wholeheartedly. That said, I was a bit rambunctious and I apologize to anyone that took my statements more coarsely than I meant them. That said, there can be an aggressive air about this board, probably has something to do with a room full of adrenaline junkies and I don't feel that I responded too over the top for someone not running for mayor.

Either way, I still think it's an interesting idea, even if it can be a bit shallow on the surface.