TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Where to go with kids? (alternative to WDW/Orlando)

timfreeman

Hello all, looooooong time lurker in need of some help. We normally spend quite a bit of time in Orlando at the parks with the kids (ages 8, 6, & 2) with visits in April, October, and December. With recent events at WDW during our October and December trips, I'm not planning on going back anytime in the near future. Our other main attraction is Universal. However, with the planned opening of Potter in Spring, I don't want to hit it right when it opens due to crowds and if it's postponed, don't want to miss it completely. With that, I'm trying to find alternatives to visit in the Spring. The issue is really the 2 year old. The others are both over 52" and love roller coasters, but we don't want the toddler sitting in a stroller all day waiting with nothing to do. A week seems too long to spend at most parks I know, and I don't want to pay $300+ a day to go to different parks if I don't have to. We are based in the Cincinnati area and have season passes to Kings Island. Any suggestions on where to go?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a week long visit to the San Diego / Anaheim Area. Kind of like alternate universe Orlando, and Legoland is AMAZING! Between Legoland, Disneyland, Beach, etc. there should be enough to keep the two year old happy.

Knoebel's? When Kristen was 2 we visited there and she loved the train, carousel, whip, antique cars, motor boats, kiddie area, and more. There was actually quite a bit that a 2 year old could ride there. And plenty for the bigger kids.

And then Hersheypark isn't too far off from Knoebel's and while there isn't as much there for a 2 year old they do have the two dark rides (Chocolate World and amazingly bad, but must be ridden Xtreme Cup Challenge). They do have quite a few other kiddie rides and family attractions like the tower.

Not sure how early in the spring they open, it's either April or early May. Check their schedules.

Just if you're looking foran option a bit more "amusement park-ish" and less "theme park."

--Robb

What about a week long visit to the San Diego / Anaheim Area. Kind of like alternate universe Orlando, and Legoland is AMAZING! Between Legoland, Disneyland, Beach, etc. there should be enough to keep the two year old happy.

This was actually my first thought, but wasn't sure the time factor. I've heard Legoland is really a 1 day visit and no clue on DL/CA. We could do the beach to fill out the other days. DL just seems so much more expensive as WDW. A 3 day package with tickets, minnie meal plan (for a character meal), and hotel prices at $1850. We just went for 10 days to WDW with dining and paid $2k. Add rental car, additional park tickets, extra hotel nights.......seems excessive on the price. Maybe there is better pricing of which I'm not aware?

Knoebel's? When Kristen was 2 we visited there and she loved the train, carousel, whip, antique cars, motor boats, kiddie area, and more. There was actually quite a bit that a 2 year old could ride there. And plenty for the bigger kids.

And then Hersheypark isn't too far off from Knoebel's and while there isn't as much there for a 2 year old they do have the two dark rides (Chocolate World and amazingly bad, but must be ridden Xtreme Cup Challenge). They do have quite a few other kiddie rides and family attractions like the tower.

Not sure how early in the spring they open, it's either April or early May. Check their schedules.

Just if you're looking foran option a bit more "amusement park-ish" and less "theme park."

--Robb

Thought about this one too, but April may not be the time. All three don't fully open until late May/June. We could upgrade our Kings Island Season Passes to Platinum and get into Dorney. There's also Sesame Place along with Hershey in the same region. This may be an option if we change the dates.

^ I totally forgot about Sesame. It's a great little park!

Not too much for the little one to do at Dorney, however if you like water parks they have a nice one and the 2 year old might enjoy a few laps in the lazy river?

How "two year old" is the 2 year old? (Closer to 3 or 2?)

-_Robb

Just turned 2 on Dec 4th, but he's a monster. Already 36" inches and loves any ride that he can ride. I was thinking more of the water park for him and possibly the play area. May take 2 days to do just for the fact that only 1 adult can ride the big rides at a time.

^ In that case you might want to look into a mini-trip to the Hershey/Sesame/Knoebel's area. If memory serves correct I believe they had quite a few rides for that height but I'd check the websites to be sure.

--Robb

To address your Disneyland questions, I would NEVER get a package there or bother staying onsite. It is NOTHING like WDW like you're used to. It really isn't a resort. Just get some park hopper tickets and that's all you need.

There aren't any fantastic dining opportunities that you have to book in advance, the hotels are barely passible as WDW Moderates, and the way they do Extra Magic Hours doesn't really buy you anything, plus you can get that included with some normal tickets without staying on site!

On the TPR West Coast Trip we stayed at the Carousel Inn & Suites. It is a shorter walk from that hotel to the parks than from the Disneyland Hotel!

We also got our tickets through them as they included the Early Morning Entry on one morning.

Really almost any of the hotels walking distance to the parks on Harbor Blvd are going to be fine for what you're looking for. Look for the 'Good Partner Hotels' or whatever Disney calls them as those hotels can offer you the early entry tickets and usually at least have the 'Disney Seal of Approval'.

Also your two year old would probably LOVE Adventure City which is halfway between Knotts and Disney.

Thanks for the info. I actually got a call from the Director of Guest Services today regarding certain issues we had. Still doubt if we head that way in Apr, but may give it another shot in the Fall. Don't know if Philly/Disneyland are the only options, but still keeping them open at the moment. Checked into Disney cruises and they want $7k, so that's not going to happen.