TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sea World San Diego / Belmont Park

CoasterFanatic

I have been tossing around the idea of making a little trip to San Diego while we are in LA next week for Solace. We have some time the daythe day we arrive (Wednesday) and was wondering the do-ability of this.

Arrive at LAX 11:30

Drive to and visit Sea World San Diego and Belmont Park

SW closes at 5pm and Belmont at 8pm

I am not really worried about the value of spending a couple hours at Sea World (we both have the platinum passes and have seen most of the other shows in Florida). This is the list of things I would like to accomplish.

Sea World - Dolphin Show

Sea World - Journey to Atlantis

Sea World - Sky Ride

Belmont - Dipper (couple times at least)

Belmont - Carousel

.. and then maybe a little walk on the beach.

Am I crazy?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arriving at LAX at 11:30 with the park closing at 5:30 *might* be kind of tough.

You should assume it's going to take you 2-3 hours to get to Sea World because that area can have very heavy traffic at times.

There have been days I've made it from Valencia to Legoland in two hours, and days it's taken my four hours.

According to my Rand McNally Tripmaker, LAX to Sea World is 129 miles. So assume this schedule.

You land at 11:30, you are out of the airport with baggage and rental car by, worst case scenario, 12:30.

You arrive at Sea World by 3pm which gives you two hours. That should be plenty of time to get in JtA, the sky ride, and one show.

Then head over to Belmont which is about 10 minutes away. Assuming the coaster is still open at night, which according to their calendar it is:

http://www.giantdipper.com/calendar_jan_05_may_05.html

Although, they DO close that ride early if there is no one riding it, and I can tell you this happens quite often. I've gone down there many times on a weekday and have seen the coaster closed by 5pm. I would certainly call ahead to make sure. (858) 488-1549

So yeah, you're crazy...but aren't we all?

--Robb "I hope this information helps!" Alvey

As I look at it more, I am thinking that I will probably go to Sea World and just do Atlantis and the show then probably head over to Belmont to just look around and take a couple pictures, because the Dipper is not going to be open.

Ted,

The Giant Dipper roller coaster will be closed on Wednesday, March 9th for track repairs. All other rides will be open from 11 am to 6 pm.

Thank you

Minh Tra

Director of Operations

San Diego Coaster Company

(858) 488-1549 Phone

(858) 488-4316 Fax

info@giantdipper.com

^ I just got my second email from them. It kind of answers your question.

There is a slight chance that it might open Thursday, March 10th, but most likely Friday afternoon. The weather will also play a factor in the repairs being made. If we have a large amount of rain, it may delay the opening date as well.

You are more than welcome to call closer to that time to get an update.

Minh Tra

Director of Operations

San Diego Coaster Company

(858) 488-1549 Phone

(858) 488-4316 Fax

info@giantdipper.com

BTW, thanks for your input Robb. We may just see what time it is when we get the car and what traffic is like. If it looks bad, we may just turn around and try it another day.

I've never had a HUGE problem getting to Belmont, but last time we went, Belmont was PACKED. There was no parking anywhere, so we decided to hit the San Diego Zoo and came back to Belmont on a Monday, crowds were alot less.

Hopefully everything will work out, it should be our first stop once arriving at SNA on Friday.

Ted, if you do have time at some point to get down to the Dipper, the best rides on it are always right after it comes back from rehab.

Although, keep in mind that it's not an 'amazing' ride by any means, but it's still good fun.

--Robb