TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NYC with kids

Hilltopper39

We're taking the girls to NYC over Christmas for their first trip to the city and since I've followed you're adventures there over the years (decades now?) with KT thought I'd ask for a tip here. 

My kids are 8 and 11, we've got tickets to one show (And Juliet) and will probably try to see a second. We're going to do all the typical touristy stuff, central park, time's square, 9/11 memorial, one of the observations decks, ice skating, probably hit a museum, all of that. I've read all the travel blogs and "top 20 things to do with kids in NYC!" websites and it's kind of all the same stuff, so I was wondering if you've found anything unique and different over the years that 8 and 11 year old girls would enjoy. Any really cool kid friendly restaurants to check out? Anything to completely avoid with kids because it's just crappy over priced tourist junk? Other than tickets to And Juliet we're pretty wide open schedule wise right now with 3.5 days to fill with something to do.

Also, I don't remember if you've been to American Dream yet, but if you have is it worth wasting a half a day to get there and back to shop a little and ride a couple of coasters? It's almost weird to say that my kids have never been to a real "mall" but the ones around here are kind of crappy, so we're kind of considering that.

Oof, this is a big question...

First off, I do really like American Dream. I know the reports are very hit and miss based on what's open but we have really enjoyed a few visits to the park and water park. The "mall" is not a real mall at all so keep that in mind. It's more an entertainment area indoors with a few random stores and food. 

For a second broadway show with kids that age I would probably suggest Aladdin or Lion King unless you think they're a little more advanced then Six could be a fun option too!

Food wise, there's just soooo much.  Bryant Park Winter Shops will still be going on and it's a ton of little food booths that are all AMAZING, that can be really fun for the kids. Ellen's Stardust Diner for the singing waiters. Any specific food they really like you'll be able to find a really cool restaurant in NYC I guarantee it!  Feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions!

• Like 1

Thanks! Our hotel is like a block away from Bryant Park so I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time at that Winter Village (racclette!).

Ellen's Stardust looks like a perfect spot for us so thanks for that! The girls have seen touring productions of Aladdin and Lion King, but Six would be fun if we can get tickets. Since it's the week of Christmas a lot of shows appear to have low availability (and seem to be pretty expensive) so we'll see what happens with adding a show. I have a feeling after a few days of walking they're gonna be worn out so maybe trip to American Dream wouldn't be the worst thing. Thanks for the response!

• Like 1