TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to Japan - Might go to a theme park or two

wk9023

Hi,

I'll be travelling to Japan for a month in June and I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

I have to admit I'm not as enthusiastic as I once was (back in 2016, did 12 midwest theme parks in a month) and the last one I did was Europa Park in 2019.

But I'm thinking it would be a bit of change in scenery from the usual Japanese thing to do, if I throw in a theme park day (or two).

I'll be around in the areas between Tokyo and Hiroshima, with the itinerary shaping up at this stage.

I think I'll pass on Disneyland or Universal Studios as I'm more into extreme end of roller coasters.

Thanks in advance,

Sam 

for "extreme" you'd want to go to Fuji-Q (but operations can be frustrating) or Nagashima Spaland.

however, I will say that Tokyo DisneySea is the best theme park on the planet.   period.    and you're doing yourself a dis-service if you skip it.
(I'd not miss Tokyo Disneyland either - simply for Poohs Hunny Hunt- but at minimum plan a day at Tokyo DisneySea

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bert425 said:

for "extreme" you'd want to go to Fuji-Q (but operations can be frustrating) or Nagashima Spaland.

I will be in Nagoya, so Spa land could be an option, will check it out. Actually I've heard of Spa land but didn't look further into it 'cos it has "Spa" in the name, lol. 

3 hours ago, bert425 said:

however, I will say that Tokyo DisneySea is the best theme park on the planet.   period.    and you're doing yourself a dis-service if you skip it.
(I'd not miss Tokyo Disneyland either - simply for Poohs Hunny Hunt- but at minimum plan a day at Tokyo DisneySea

What makes you say DisneySea is the best theme park?

Are they (as well as Fuji-Q and Spa land) crazy busy like CP or SFMM? The last thing I want is to queue for hours and ride 3 or 4 roller coasters a day. 

Thanks

Sam

TDS: crazy busy . yes.

but absolutely the best theme park in the world.

fully immersive with some incredible rides (20,000 leagues, Journey to the Center of the Earth, a very unique version of Tower of Terror, it's just an amazing park)

as for Nagashima Spaland?  a do not miss. .it's a "greatest hits in the world" park.  They travel and find rides they like, then bring them there.

So they have an EXCELLENT RMC (Hakugei), the longest coaster in the world (Steel Dragon2000), a Manta Clone that's way intense (Acrobat), and S&S freespin that spins more than any freespin in the world (Arashi), TWO Schwarzkopf (a Looping Star and a Shuttle loop), an Ultra-Twister (last one operating in the world?), a 1st Gen Intamin Drop (Freefall), a decent mine train coaster, and a bunch of other smaller coasters. . that doesn't mention some great flats, and a walk thru haunted house thats just amazing.   There's so much more than the water (ie: Spa) section of the park.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

What's the operations like in general, in Japan?

I found pretty much everywhere in midwest pretty good except for Hersheys. 

Disney places in California, SFMM & Universal Studios they were all good.

Parc Asterix was great and chilled, Europa Park was very strict, I guess that's Germany for you.

What I used to do is, to wear ski goggles over my glasses, 'cos I want to see where I'm going and such. (yes, I get the funny looks all the time)

I only got in trouble twice, once at CP, Maverick - they thought I was hiding some sort of recording device. The other time was at Europa Park, forget what the ride was (but wasn't Wodan or Silver star)

Also,  I used to go to video game arcades a lot, I think Sega Akihabara is no more (or changed hands to some other arcade outfit). Any recommendations on that front?

Cheers

Sam

Japan is VERY strict on loose articles.  Your glasses/googles combo will NOT be allowed on most rides.  You can use a simple strap on some, and some they will make you take EVERYTHING off. 

Operations wise, most rides don't run in rain or high wind. Ops are also slow and meticulous. 

There are still a MILLION awesome arcades all throughout the country and especially in Akihabara.  Also a big new one just opened in Shinjuku. 

• Like 1