TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which park in Southern California?

MlstCoasters

As far as I know, the LA area has 3 amusement parks. My parents said for my birthday I would be able to go to one of the southern California amusement parks. I do live in northern California and another ride on the Gold Striker or Flight Deck would be fun but I already have ridden both too many times to count. I already know 1 of the 3 LA parks is far too expensive, and I still have not been to the 2 other parks. I wanted to know which is more worth going to, Six Flags Magic Mountain or Knott's Berry Farm. Six Flags seems to have more coasters, but Knott's is owned by Cedar Fair.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are actually four/five parks in the LA area depending on how you count: Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Universal Studios Hollywood, and the Disneyland Resort (technically two parks, but some people consider it one). If you can only go to one park, I would definitely not pick Universal Studios Hollywood, but which of the other three depends on your preferences.

-If you are primarily a roller coaster person, go to SFMM. Of the three parks, it easily has the best coasters (in fact, I'd say it has the best collection of any park I've been to). However, keep in mind the park has very little to do other than roller coasters, so if anyone in your group isn't into roller coasters and thrill rides they'll probably be bored here within a few hours. Also note that SFMM is only open weekends during the off-season, so if you have to visit on a weekday it won't work, and be aware that one or more of the major coasters may be closed.

-If you are looking for a high quality park and don't care as much about thrills, Disneyland is the best option. The park is expensive, and if you visit on a weekend any time of year it will be packed, but it is easily the best park in Southern California. If you choose to visit here and only have one day, I'd recommend either picking one park and just doing it, especially if it is your first time. It is possible to do both parks in one day, but it requires a bit of planning and a lot of walking with little downtime.

-If you want a nice park without the cost of Disney and thrills but not just coasters, Knott's is a good option. The park is nicely themed and offers a good mix of coasters, non-coaster thrill rides, and family rides. Most of the park's rides are not spectacular, but almost everything is still worth riding. During the off-season, especially on weekdays, the park is often dead, but for a first-time visitor there is enough to occupy a good portion of a day even with no lines.

I do love roller coasters. Most of my family does. My brother has been to SFMM before and said there were some amazing roller coasters. I also really like wooden roller coasters, I have never found which is better, Colossus SFMM or Ghostrider at Knott's. I heard Ghostrider is VERY rough but is fun anyway, but I have heard people say Colossus is smoother. I have also been to Disneyland 6 times in my life, I have never been to Knott's or SFMM.

Can Apacalypse be compared to Gold Striker? Also is Colossus like American Eagle in Six Flags Great America?

Apocalypse is similar to Gold Striker, though I like Gold Striker more. I wouldn't have much expectations for Colossus, but it's still a fun coaster.

• 7 months later...