TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island or Michigan's Adventure

I am thinking about making a trip out to Michigan’s Adventure OR Kings Island. My drive to Michigan’s Adventure is about an hour and a half less (200 miles instead of 300) than it would be going to Kings Island. Now I can easily see that KI has more coasters than MA, but the majority of those are 52” and up. My daughter likes riding coasters and barely hits the 48” (depending on shoes).

This trip will only be a day trip (Leave Friday after she gets out of school, hit the park Saturday, come home Sunday).

I have never been to either park.

What would you all suggest doing?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to MA, plan on spending at least half the day in the waterpark, which is a good one. There are really only enough dry side rides to fill about half a day, but it is still a nice little park with a couple good coasters, and there are a few milder coasters if your daughter likes them but does not want the huge thrill rides. Shivering Timbers is a very good coaster for big thrills.

Your daughter, if she is at 48", still has 7, I think, coasters she can ride at KI, so it's not so bad. The kids ride area at KI is top notch, though, with a junior invert included. It will be quite crowded at KI Saturday if you're going this week, I assume. MA has smaller crowds due to location and size. KI obviously has more big thrills in their ride collection.

Having been to both parks with my family, the decision really boils down to if you want the major park experience with a lot of good rides, but longer lines, or a more relaxing day at a small park with fewer rides but a nice waterpark as part of your admission. Your daughter will have fun at both.

Late September, MA is closed, so KI would be the only option. MA only has a week or two left. They have some weird park hours at KI on some weekend dates late in Sept., so check their calendar carefully before you go. I think one Saturday it is only open in the evening, while the next Saturday it is open all day. KI is a great park, and your daughter would enjoy it. We can't wait to go back next summer. First went in 2010.

Kings Island Kid area is award winning with quite a few junior coasters. Of course, a back seat airtime ride on Diamondback for yourself is a must! I was disappointed with MA. Average rides with Shivering Timbers being one of the most overrated coasters of all time.

WOW. Definitely did not see that on the site, perhaps I wasn't looking enough. Thanks for that info. I'm surprised they aren't open for weekends or anything, or throwing up a Halloween theme. Has this always been the case with them?

^Yeah, they used to close Labor Day weekend (I believe) but I believe they have actually been trying to extend the season.

At any rate, while I'd love to see a Halloween Event up there (The Haunt is located just Southeast of there in Walker, a northern suburb of Grand Rapids), and they get good business. But ride wise, it gets pretty chilly at night during that time of the year up in Muskegon, especially that close to the lake.

At any rate, the Waterpark is a major draw of business for the park. With that draw, operating HalloWeekends or a Haunt without the waterpark might not necessarily draw a return that the chain or park would want.