TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tall people on rollercoasters?

Chris.C

I'm hoping to come to the US from Australia at some stage and being 76.4 inches tall i'm a bit worried about how i'll go fitting on everything. In oz I've been to all the major theme parks where superman escape's otsr rubbed painfully on my collarbones as well as sea viper at seaworld. The arrow looper cyclone at dreamworld I could hardly even fit my legs into the train and the otsr sat about 4" off my waist and was also very painfull on my shoulders. All of the flat rides with otsr and the slc lethal weapon at movieworld I was fine. How does everyone think I will go?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping to come to the US from Australia at some stage and being 76.4 inches tall i'm a bit worried about how i'll go fitting on everything. In oz I've been to all the major theme parks where superman escape's otsr rubbed painfully on my collarbones as well as sea viper at seaworld. The arrow looper cyclone at dreamworld I could hardly even fit my legs into the train and the otsr sat about 4" off my waist and was also very painfull on my shoulders. All of the flat rides with otsr and the slc lethal weapon at movieworld I was fine. How does everyone think I will go?

Can't speak from experience on the US coasters, but I'm 6'3" and never had a major issue on the UK and European coasters, there is a height limit on some coasters, I know some of the Cedar Point ones have a max of 6'6"(78"), so you should be fine. It's quite a tight fit getting my legs in some cars, especially old woodies, but if I go in a car on my own it's usually fine, it's just something you have to deal with.

So anything with lapbars only you should be fine, some of the PTC trains don't have much space between rows so might have to cross your ankles but you'll likely fit.

Most standups have height limits, as the restraint only goes so far up. But these will be posted outside the ride, and probably on the park website too.

If Superman Escape gives you trouble then it's likely that other Intamin coasters with the same restraints might as well - so i305, Maverick, Kingda Ka could be problematic.

From memory Cyclone uses standard Arrow trains, so any Arrow coaster might potentially be uncomfortable for you.

Sea Viper uses custom trains (frankly overkill for a simple Arrow corkscrew!), can't recall seeing those anywhere else.

Apart from that, which parks are you planning to visit? Might be able to get some specific advice.

It sounds like you have shorter legs but a longer torso, as I'm 6'3" ish and have no problem with Intamin OSTRs, your biggest problem will probably be legroom on woodies running PTCs and Arrows. Shoulders might be an issue on stand-ups (I know someone who's 6'5" that barely squeezes in with a bit of a slouch) and most other coasters with OSTRs, just be prepared to slouch a little to fit and maybe pretzel your legs.

Most launch coasters (definitely Intamin Rockets) will require your head to be resting on the head rest. For the obvious avoidance of whip lash.

Huss Top Spins have a max height restriction as well. Check park websites before you go.

I'm hoping to visit SFMM, SFOG, SFGADV, carowinds, kings dominion, Busch gardens Williamsburg, Hershey park, dorney park, Canada's wonderland, cedar point and kings island. Do all these parks seem a bit extravagant do in in a month? Also are B&M restraints a bit roomier than others in general? Also how is legroom on coasters like millennium force and TTD?

^11 parks in one month is easy! By my count there is 31 days in a month so you could get in 30 parks (you'll need two days at Cedar Point)!

B&M have some 'big boy' seats on some of their coasters, but they're more designed to cater for girth rather than height. However most of their trains have plenty of legroom so you should be OK.

From what I've seen at the parks you're more likely to run into issues with older coasters - Revolution could be painful - and any credit whoring on kiddie coasters might require some gymnastics to get into the seat.

I'm about the same height as this topic's poster and I can fit easily onto Intamin Accelerators (lap bars & OTSRs) and I only get a little cramped in Arrow coasters.

I'm hoping to visit SFMM, SFOG, SFGADV, carowinds, kings dominion, Busch gardens Williamsburg, Hershey park, dorney park, Canada's wonderland, cedar point and kings island. Do all these parks seem a bit extravagant do in in a month? Also are B&M restraints a bit roomier than others in general? Also how is legroom on coasters like millennium force and TTD?

A trip with those parks will be pretty tough as you would have to travel over a thousand miles (1600 km) for all those parks. How about choosing a region? If it is your first time to America, I'd recommend the northeast (Virginia to Massachusetts) as it has a lot of great cities, great historical sites, and great amusement parks.

I am 6'6" and the only ride I ever was unable to ride due to height was the intamin ball coaster at SFMM. A few weeks ago I was almost turned away on Wicked Twisted at CP and was height checked at Darien Lakes Ride of Steel. That is all I ever rememeber though.

PTC's are terrible for tall people, as well as some Intamin trains (Dragster and Xcelerator), mostly due to my size 15 shoe... Tend to get my feet stuck in those trains lol

I'm 6'8", and while I fit on most rides, it's not the most comfortable. Kingda Ka at GADV is pretty brutal on my shoulders because I'm not able to sit up straight. B&M's would are definitely the most comfortable though.