TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Park Safety - AP English Final

If this is the wrong forum, by all means move it. Anyway, I've been given a fairly open final project for my AP English class, the only guideline being it must be a speech/presentation about a subject you're interested in and is in a way, controversial. I chose amusement park safety because, it might just be people I've talked to, many people (too many, in my opinion,) feel that amusement parks are very unsafe. Rides could break, g-forces could seriously hurt them, I've heard it all. I feel that the relative safety of amusement parks is extremely misjudged, when in reality it is one of the safest forms of entertainment.

I came on here to ask you guys what YOU think are the most pressing issues when it comes to park safety. I'm not going to list what I already think, rather sit back and hopefully get some more insight or expansion on my existing ideas by you guys who are probably more knowledgeable than I am. Anything you can contribute I'm sure will help in some way, so if you think you have anything to contribute please do!

Thank you guys so much, it helps a ton for my project and certainly helps expand my theme park knowledge.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is the wrong forum, by all means move it. Anyway, I've been given a fairly open final project for my AP English class, the only guideline being it must be a speech/presentation about a subject you're interested in and is in a way, controversial. I chose amusement park safety because, it might just be people I've talked to, many people (too many, in my opinion,) feel that amusement parks are very unsafe. Rides could break, g-forces could seriously hurt them, I've heard it all. I feel that the relative safety of amusement parks is extremely misjudged, when in reality it is one of the safest forms of entertainment.

I came on here to ask you guys what YOU think are the most pressing issues when it comes to park safety. I'm not going to list what I already think, rather sit back and hopefully get some more insight or expansion on my existing ideas by you guys who are probably more knowledgeable than I am. Anything you can contribute I'm sure will help in some way, so if you think you have anything to contribute please do!

Thank you guys so much, it helps a ton for my project and certainly helps expand my theme park knowledge.

OMG!!!, I did the same thing for my AP Lang class this year for our persuasive speeches' back in November. If you need any help, PM me. The kids in my class found it really interesting. What I did is showed them the difference between accidents that are at the fault of the rider (i.e.: Man falls off ROS because of failure to wear his fake legs, 17 year old decapitated and killed by Batman ride.), (although Darien Lake could have watched out for the man). Then I showed them examples of when the ride or park is at fault (i.e.: SFKK accident, Hopi Hari drop tower accident, Two-Face accident, ect). Show them that rides are safer than your car, how they are often checked, ect.

You should have no problem finding sources confirming the safety of amusement park equipment. There is an entire industry that wants to reassure the public that their products meet safety standards as well as the thrills they offer. I think it would actually be harder to look up valid sources against your argument. If you find yourself in a one-way battle (because let's face it, amusement parks are very safe), look up Congressman Ed Markey; he is thoroughly convinced that amusement parks are out to murder your family.

Best of luck with this paper!