TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City/ Celebration City

Hey there everyone,

I'm heading down to Silver Dollar City next month, been a long time since I have been there and I know it has changed, I am however looking foward to it.

couple of questions, we will be going to SDC on a Tues. or a Wends., so what can I expect as far as the crowds go? and the lines on rides?.. any suggestions or strategies?

I also want to find out what everyones opinion about Celebration City is..

Is it worth visiting? or should I just skip it and go enjoy a quiet day on the lake or find something else to do?

please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated..

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SDC will be awesome during the week. The only crowds to be expected are the 30 or so minute waits for PK, and maybe a few minutes at TGS. If you want to get a lot of rides in on PK, get there before opening, wait at the chain, and head there first - it's worth it.

Remember to stop by one of the bakeries and pick up a piece of that famous cinnamon bread.

CC is great, IMO, but it's a much different experience than that of SDC. The rides are mostly generic, but Wildcat is absolutely awesome. CC really is more of an amusement park, but it's a really nice one at that. The buildings are gorgeous, the park clean, the food is pretty good, and the shows aren't bad. You can usually 'do' the park pretty quickly, but I always end up coming back for more. I'd say it's worth doing, but only if you love riding rides.

Silver Dollar City typically closes in the early evening, but Celebration City opens in the mid-afternoon and is a ghost town until SDC closes. It's worth leaving SDC a little early for Celebration City .. Just park yourself at Ozark Wildcat, and have the best time ever!

Second, be sure to do the (free) cave tour at Silver Dollar City..

You will have a great time at both parks, I'm super envious.

Cameron.

When you say "next month" do you mean BEFORE or AFTER August 16th? The reason I ask, is because if you visit ANYTIME BEFORE August 16th, even during the middle of the week, you will run into the "tourist crowd" and the closer you get to the end of Kids Fest the more crowded it gets.

Once the magical day of August 16th passes we will be between festivals and THAT'S the time to go. We do not start our next festival (which is a mini-festival) until the 30th and you will start to see it pick back up a little, but it is mostly locals and not the hordes of tourists like you will find now

Long story short, we have been PACKED EVERY DAY this month and Kids Fest has just been crazy busy. We had cars parked all the way out to Lot K and L on Saturday (most of the time we try to not use the unpaved lots). If you can hold off until after August 16th, I think you will have a more enjoyable visit, that is unless you are going for the shows. We will only have a handful of the "regular" shows going on then. Off the top of my head I know the Saloon Show, Cajun Connection, Sons of the Silver Dollar, the McHaffie Homestead Pickers, and we might have something on the Gazebo Stage, but the big venues will be vacant as we set up for the Cowboy Festival.... just remembered, we have a "mini festival" starting on the 30th of August, before our Fall Festival -- my bad. Always forget about Southern Gospel Picnic.

However I digress.... Before August 16th = BUSY --- After August 16th = GREAT TIME TO COME!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the crowds. It's always busy when I visit.

CC is a must do. The park is pretty small and nice. Oz Cat is a personal favorite. It's not that BIG or fast, but it's loads of fun. Plus, as Chris Grey put it, "It's got the bam bam." You'll know what this means after riding.

• 5 weeks later...
When you say "next month" do you mean BEFORE or AFTER August 16th? The reason I ask, is because if you visit ANYTIME BEFORE August 16th, even during the middle of the week, you will run into the "tourist crowd" and the closer you get to the end of Kids Fest the more crowded it gets.

Once the magical day of August 16th passes we will be between festivals and THAT'S the time to go. We do not start our next festival (which is a mini-festival) until the 30th and you will start to see it pick back up a little, but it is mostly locals and not the hordes of tourists like you will find now

Long story short, we have been PACKED EVERY DAY this month and Kids Fest has just been crazy busy. We had cars parked all the way out to Lot K and L on Saturday (most of the time we try to not use the unpaved lots). If you can hold off until after August 16th, I think you will have a more enjoyable visit, that is unless you are going for the shows. We will only have a handful of the "regular" shows going on then. Off the top of my head I know the Saloon Show, Cajun Connection, Sons of the Silver Dollar, the McHaffie Homestead Pickers, and we might have something on the Gazebo Stage, but the big venues will be vacant as we set up for the Cowboy Festival.... just remembered, we have a "mini festival" starting on the 30th of August, before our Fall Festival -- my bad. Always forget about Southern Gospel Picnic.

However I digress.... Before August 16th = BUSY --- After August 16th = GREAT TIME TO COME!

Ok so I just got home from my trip to SDC, and it was great! unfortunately you were way off though,.... the park was dead! it was great, no crowds whatsoever to complain about. we were at the park on the 14th and the 15th, and both days were the same way.

longest wait for anything was im guessing maybe 15 min.. tops- if that long.

as far as the kids-fest, I noticed that the pamphlet about the park, said that kids-fest ended on the 12th--maybe that has a lot to do with it, and not to mention the fact how hot it is.

so glad I got lucky with the crowds!

^Both those things would have a lot to do with it, but also, SDC crowds are just funky. For all we know, yesterday was dead and today was packed out. Last week some visitors said it was pretty crowded, but not bad.

I think right now would be an excellent time to visit though, with it being so hot, no major festivals going on, and everyone occupied with going back to school. Just wait till the Christmas season starts though...

I'm glad that you met a "dead" park. KidsFest ended earlier than I was expecting with my post above. I totally forgot that we were ending it a weekend earlier this year and that we will have almost 3 "dead weeks" before we start the next festival on the 30th.

Any PTRs coming from you in the near future?

I'm glad that you met a "dead" park. KidsFest ended earlier than I was expecting with my post above. I totally forgot that we were ending it a weekend earlier this year and that we will have almost 3 "dead weeks" before we start the next festival on the 30th.

Any PTRs coming from you in the near future?

oh I'm glad we had a dead park too, I have heard some crowd stories.. unfortunately the camera stopped working while there, didn't get hardly any pictures. I did manage to get an offride video of Wildfire that I was going to post tonight, and just do a TR to give an opinion, and to ask a few questions about the park.

will be doing that within the hour...