TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Advice for upcoming trip

My best friend and I finally coordinated our schedules to make a trip and visit both of these parks. We are thinking of leaving on April the 9th at about 8am. The drive to Knott's from Phoenix, AZ should be around 5 hours, as we'd be going directly to the park.

The park closes at 8pm, does that give us enough time if we get there by 1:30 or 2pm? Should we not attempt this at all and stay the extra night in the hotel so we can get a full day at each park? We are on tight budgets... Looking at Knott's website, it appears it is a prime time to go because there is no scheduled ride rehab.

We plan to hit SFMM tuesday and be there when it opens. We're not sure whether we should run to X or Tatsu first. Also, I've heard rumors that X is closed on a certain weekday every week for testing/maintenance purposes, is there any truth to this?

I'm basically looking for some insider info you might have that I don't about these dates, Knott's would be Monday April 9th, SFMM would be Tuesday April 10th. I am not interested in the entire trip if I don't get a chance to ride X, so I am really hoping I will be able to know it will be open. I have been to SFMM twice since it was built and neither time it was open, once was when they delayed the grand opening, the other was when it was down for revisions.

Any other tips I might need? Any suggestions on where to book hotel? Keep in mind we'd need it to be cheap, but we don't want to stay in a dump or the ghetto. (probably a place in between Knott's and SFMM would be good)

As far as inside the park tips go, I'm much more familiar with SFMM than Knott's since I haven't been to Knott's since I was very little.

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were hoping to stay somewhere a little north of there. It would make it easier to get to SFMM in the morning and also avoid traffic on the way home. How far is the drive from Knott's to SFMM anyway? I assume about an hour?

You'll have plenty of time at Knott's. We did that park in 2 hours. This was, of course, on a really dead day in January.

I suggest driving up to Valencia after you leave Knott's. That way you'll avoid nasty LA morning traffic. The Hilton Garden Inn in Valencia is the closet hotel to SFMM, and is really nice. But, that might be out of your price range (~$100). You'd get your money's worth though.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hear the renovations they did there were good but...

Above the price range, cheapest room I found for those dates was $159 per night.

Looking for something closer to around $50-60 per night.

if your looking for something around 60 dollars per night, try Anaheim (around Disneyland) Ive found some hotels there to be around 60 dollars a night. Ive never actually stayed in them but I found one right across the street from the park for about 70 dollars.

When you get to SFMM, go to Tatsu first unless X only has one train. If X only has one train, head for that first. Tatsu Builds a line later in the day that is hard to take off (especially these days it seems) With slow operation on Tatsu, waits can get gigantic. (Flashpasses do work but they only let you ride in the back two rows. The best ride is in the front on Tatsu)