TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I've been reading these forums for months, but this is my first post.

I just bought a powerbook and I bought the Mac version of RCT3. I previously had a PC with RCT2 on it. I have Virtual PC on my Mac and have installed RCT2 through that, but I cannot get the game to run. I'm not sure if there are settings in Virtual PC that I need to change or what, but I've read on these forums that people have been able to successfully run the RCT games through Virtual PC.

If anyone has any insight for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Brock

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um RCT1 & 2 are only PC because they are programmed almost entirely in Intel assembly.

It is very hard to know what is going wrong on your copy without you telling us more... I'm sorry that I can't tell you more. If you give info about what happens... Errors and the like we might be able to help.

• 4 years later...

I am aware that this may be seen as a mighty and unnecessary bump, but for any and all who care, there are several ways to get RCT and/or RCT2 to work on Macs, although both may involve spending a fair bit (probably less than $100) of cash.

Option 1: Parallels

Parallels Desktop is a program that allows you to install Windows OS (or any other, non-Mac OS) onto your Mac. Keep in mind, it does cost money (around $30 for an older version, close to $70 for the newest) and it can be a slight pain to work with, but there are many great answers on the Parallels forum. You will also need a copy of your OS to install. After that, you can use Windows and play RCT right on your computer. I have used this version and can attest that it can work. I was lucky enough to have Parallels and XP, so I didn't need to spend a lot of money on it. For those of you looking for a cheaper option, look to option 2.

Here is an example of it running on my desktop, taken a couple of minutes ago:

Option 2: CrossOver

This is a method that I have not tried, and also costs money ($40 for CrossOver standard) but you do not need to install an OS. This program will allow you to run Windows games directly through a port that it creates through your disc. So for this version, if you already have the disc and some time, it's much better value. I have not tried this method, but I am aware that many others have (search YouTube for "Run RollerCoaster Tycoon on a Mac" for a wealth of tutorials).

Last thing: IF YOU CANNOT PERFORM THESE OPTIONS LEGALLY, DON'T. I am NOT advising anyone to torrent or otherwise obtain RCT or RCT2 on their Mac in any way less than legally! Both of these methods can be done 100% legally, and I advise you to do them that way.

Once again, sorry for this incredible bump, but I searched the forums and I didn't find anything that stated either of these options, so I thought that anyone who wants this info deserves to have it. I have been entertained and delighted once again by a game I thought I lost when I switched to Macs, and I hope that others can be too.