TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

So I started project back in July (intact further than that, I've had Dive Coaster layouts bumping around for what feels like years). It started with this layout here, that I realised this was a project I wished to finish.

But after numerous tweaks and I general idea of theme I finally after about 25 drafts got a first half I enjoyed!

I settled on the name ISON, it was a famous comet discovered in 2012 which was said would burn brighter than the moon. I also liked the area of plummeting to the ground with the force of gravity, it all kinda fit, so I started pulling the aesthetics together.

After trying and trying to get a final half that felt B&My (to the point, aesthetic and punchy) I ended up with this layout I liked, with some interaction with the brake run.

So from here I decided I would teach myself how to use Sketchup. This is my first time creating objects for a ride, so it's a little geometric, but it suits the theme. The building was inspired by the VAB in NASA.

So I started on getting the terrain in and some paths. But learning how tedious fence design is was a painful process.

I tried a few "art pieces" ... yeah it didn't stay.

Supporting around clearances here.

Here's a video from this stage of development

This is the view of the 3ds work. It was tedious learning everything from scratch but I started getting the hang of it for the queue line.

The rest is just the details

So yesterday, I completed the ride with the help of Dave Ainsworth.

Welcome to ISON

Background

Feel the force of gravity as it plummets you to the ground in a 90 degree drop straight down and harness it's power as you swoop, dive and orbit through space. Named after the famous comet discovered in 2012, it's your mission to follow it's path in an experience you'll never forget.

Design

This B&M Dive Coaster is inspired by all the large scale models, including Griffon, SheiKra and Valravn. I've aimed to stay true to B&Ms style of layout design and shaping but with a slightly extended length. The theme and building was inspired by many space voyage films I've seen recently, with the main building taking notes from NASA's VAB.

Elements

Acsent (lift hill)

Top Corner

Hold Brake

Vertical Drop

Immelman

Orbit Turn

Dive Loop

MCBR

Second Dive (return mission)

Overbank

Zero-G Roll

Final Bend

Brakes

Notes:

Technically this is designed to have the new style 8-Seat Trains.

May I suggest back row left seat I do advise walking through the queue for the full ride experience.

Massive Thank you to the following for helping me out and testing, Dave Ainsworth (for all the audio, scripts, testing and advice, this ride wouldn’t exist without you), Andre Northan (Sketchup Guru), Matt King (tester guy and general support). The Flux Rockpack and nSeven’s trees.

Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...