TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Help with Disney World Planning

MaxwellPower

I am planning to take my two daughters (7 and 9) to Disney World and stay onsite for around 8 days. Most likely my wife will not be going with us. I have not been since I was a child. I have done a lot of research on various planning sites as well as read trip reports and posts here.

Here is the plan I have come up with so far, I am asking for critiques and suggestions:

• Travel to: Flight that arrives at MCO around noon, take Magical Express to resort
    Resort: Pop Century (fits budget and I like the fact that it has dedicated busses)
    Length of Stay: Arrive on a Wednesday and stay eight nights. So check out would be the following Thursday.
    Tickets: 8 or 9 day tickets with park hopper
    Travel from: Magical Express to MCO on Thursday on late evening flight

If I have to take them when they are on a school break (which is most likely), what is the best time of year to do that? Spring break? Summer? Thanksgiving? Christmas? Any tips or suggestions (even on something I didn't specifically ask about) would be much appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of quick things...

I prefer the Thanksgiving time frame for crowds and weather.

I also don't think you should buy an 8 or 9 day park hopper as the girls will certainly need some down time at either the resort, downtown Disney, another park, etc. So you can save a few bucks there.

Elissa,

Thank you for your quick response!

I had a feeling the downtime suggestion would come up. I do want the trip to be fun for them and not exhausting. I guess the main reason I would buy that ticket is the difference in price isn't that much (in Disney terms) and if we wanted to go to Epcot one evening or to MK for a few hours after hanging at the hotel or Downtown all day we would have that option. Is that foolish of me to think it is that easy to do?

Foolish for you, no. Foolish for two young girls...a bit. There's a LOT of walking, and the resorts offer some great amenities. You don't want to pay the premium to stay onsite with Disney and never get to have fun or explore your own resort. I know it's not a big savings (probably what $5 - $10 per ticket?) but that could buy a nice souvenir for the girls.

One other thing, have you checked prices yet? I would highly recommend Art of Animation or Port Orleans over Pop Century.

I have considered Art of Animation but not Port Orleans. I guess price drove me to Pop. I looked and it isn't too much more for Art of Animation and Port Orleans is pretty reasonable too. Would French Quarter or Riverside be best in your opinion? Thanks for the suggestion though. I definitely trust your opinion so I will for sure go with Art of Animation over Pop now if I don't go the Port Orleans route.

If you can swing either of those, absolutely do it. I think the girls would enjoy Art of Animation the most, unless they're big into play grounds or water slides then you'll want to go to Port Orleans which has a nice playground and a decent sized water slide.

Port Orleans French Quarter is better for kids as it's closer together and has the better amenities than Riverside. I think they also may have some special Tiana themed rooms if you want to check.

The quick serve eateries at Art of Animation and Port Orleans are also MUCH better than at Pop Century.

Port Orleans is also considered a Moderate Resort which is a step up from Pop and Art and *usually* you'll find slightly better service and clientele.

^As you get more into the planning process please feel free to come back and ask more questions. My almost 7 year old is also happy to give you the 'girls' perspective! BTW, she says the decision between Art of Animation and Port Orleans is hard, but she would choose a Nemo themed room at Art of Animation.

• 4 months later...

The trip is coming together now. I will be in WDW Nov. 17-27. I looked into AoA and Port Orleans but I ended up booking POP Century for this extended trip. It was much cheaper (less points) than AoA or Port Orleans. For some reason the only rooms available to book with points were the suites at AoA. Flights are booked, all dining reservations are made (I'm sure I will drop a few of them in final planning stages) and now I am just counting down the days to book Fast Pass Plus. I am very excited! I really value your input and wanted to post an update. I welcome any tips or suggestions from you or other Disney veterans.