TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Looking for a little advice concerning Orlando in January...

JustLikeMe

Hi guys, I'm planning a fairly last minute trip to Orlando in January, and was looking for a little advice...

We're planning on arriving on Saturday the 12th and staying for a week, leaving the following Saturday. I've found out that the weekend we arrive is the Disney Marathon so we're planning on staying for three nights at Universal first to avoid the crowds at Disney on the Sunday, probably at the Portofino as we enjoyed our stay there so much last time, then heading to Disney for four nights, probably at the Yaucht Club.

So, we've got that much figured out, now its trying to decide which parks to do on what day - I don't feel the need to do all the parks as I've been to Orlando a few times, and there haven't been any major additions since I last visited. Anyways, considering the Disney marathon is the weekend we arrive, and that the next weekend is the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend, our current plan looks like this...

Sun: Fairly relaxing day, maybe go to Universal for a few hours, eat at Portofino

Mon: IoA, Mythos for lunch, Citywalk in evening.

Tues: Move to Disney, do some shopping, Epcot in evening.

Weds: Magic Kingdom / Disney Studios, Ohana in the evening.

Thurs: BGA, Epcot in evening.

Fri: Maybe hit up a park in the morning before holiday crowd arrives, then take the afternoon to do some shopping and catch Cloverfield(!). Most likely Epcot in evening again!

Bearing in mind that my main aim is avoiding crowds, does this plan look ok to everyone? Any suggestions about what I could do to change or improve it? Any great places I'm missing out on? One thing I'd love to know is the name of the restaurant from which you have a great view of the Magic Kingdom/Castle, I think its in one of the main Disney resort hotels.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, any help is appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of quick things:

- GOOD JOB AVOIDING THE MARATHON!!! The roads and parking lots are insane, I've heard nothing but horror stories of non-marathon people trying to go to the parks that weekend.

- I don't have the time to look it up, but I hope you have; are you taking advantage of Extra Magic Hours? Since you're staying on property, make sure to hit those up!

- Other than that you should be good! Have fun!

Looks like you're leaving the same day I'm getting there!

My family and I have gone to Disney in January for 2 years now, and there is nothing better. The crowds are minimal (though Disney does seem to accumulate more than Universal), so the longest line we waited in was probably 20 minutes for Everest.

Make sure you check this out too:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/calendar/extraMagicHour?id=CalendarExtraMagicHoursPage

We always base our days around the Extra Magic Hours, so that if we aren't exhausted (well, not me, but my mother) after 10 hours at Magic Kingdom we can stay for an extra three.

But seriosly. January is probably one of (if not the) best times to go to Disney. No crowds, no lines, and no heat. But it is warm enough for those Universal water rides, and you can't skip them!

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll be sure to check up on the EMH, but to be honest if its as quiet this time as when we went in September 2006, I'm not sure we'll even need to use them - I think the only EMH we took advantage of last time was to stay late in Epcot to get a few rides in on Soarin and Test Track! If I was going with friends I'm sure I would be, but going with my parents (on an increasingly rare family holiday!) means that I have to take them into account, although my dad is almost as bigger fan of the parks as I am - especially IoA and Epcot!

I really do appreciate the input anyway! I'm really looking forward to it, as although Orlando doesn't have the best coasters, I really love the atmosphere - and as I don't really get to spend much time with my parents anymore thats another bonus - especially considering I'll be leaving England to study in the States (10 minutes away from BGE!) for a year next September.

Now if I could just remember the name of that restaurant overlooking the MK...

Taking advantage of Extra Magic Hours is a huge benefit to staying on property.

Yet, I like to beat the crowds and keep an alternative schedule for the majority of the day. For instance, when the Magic Kingdom has extra magic hours, visit one of the other parks for the day and show up for the Magic Kingdom only for the extended time to play.

I found myself waiting in no lines or much, much shorter lines when following this type of schedule. Also, fewer kids and fewer monster strollers make for pleasant park visits.