TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip Report - South Florida Fair (2006 Edition)

My friend Ian and I were at basball tryouts today. While waiting for our numbers to be called, his mother asked if I wanted to go to the South Florida Fair with them. I called my mother to ask, and after she said yes, I told her to bring a change of clothes.

It was a very fun day today. If you read my trip report from last year, you'll know that there were a couple rides that I'd ride again, a couple that were good to hit once, and one that I wished I'd never ridden. But Ian wasn't on the trip last year, so I decided to suck up the pain and hit the painful rides with him. Here's a listing of the rides that we did in order.

We did every ride listed here once except for the Mega Drop.

Mega Drop - a.k.a. Big Ben

This was the first ride that Ian and I hit. Unlike last year, it was actually running. I really liked this. With three abreast, you quickly ascend 135 feet upwards, before pausing at the top for about 30 seconds. There are a couple of fakeouts before the actual drop, but you can hear the air pistons going off to shoot you down. The drop was about a second long and full of airtime. The stop is one of the most intense I've ever seen. When riding this at night, you get a beautiful view.

The second time we rode this, we convinced Ian's wimpy twin brother, Eric, to ride it. He was FREAKING OUT on the drop, and kept freaking out on the ground. A ride op came over and said, "First time?" Eric yelled, "THAT WAS AWESOME!" I have since persuaded him to ride Sheikra in April.

Fireball - a.k.a. Chance Revolution

The Fireball was one of the best fair rides that I have ever been on. The thing wastes NO TIME, shooting you up to its apex after a few swings and keeping you up there for a very long time. The entire ride was chock full of positive and negative G-forces.

Coaster 1

As stated in my other review, this was a close copy of Cedar Point's Wildcat. It was running the same as always.

Turbo Force - a.k.a. Kantanga

As I stated last time, Turbo Force is by far my favorite ride at the park. However, to cope with long lines, you got three rotations around the ride and then the end. Since Ian and I were there on a weekend, they weren't offering unlimited ride wristbands. The price was six tickets (a dollar per ticket), and I don't think it was worth six tickets for six rotations. Disregarding that fact, Turbo Force is a friggin' amazing ride and you should hit it whenever possible. Just a warning - after dropping back down from the top, you go through some moderately painful flips.

Crazy Mouse

Just like last year, Eric loved this one. Ian found it just fine. The spinning was a bit toned down from the other year, though.

Yo-Yo - a.k.a. Formerly Built In A Field

The Yo-Yo was one of the rides that completely switched locations on us. Instead of being partially built in a field, it was built completely in a parking lot. Ian and I had fun twisting our chairs (it's a chairswings ride) and taking pictures with our camera phones.

Haunted House - a.k.a. 5¢

This was the two cents ride from last year, only they upgraded it a bit. The ride wasn't as choppy, and the scenery still was a bit better.

Fun House - a.k.a. Let's Disturb Other People

Ian, Eric, and I spent about ten minutes in this fun house. Hey, we paid three tickets for it; we're going to make the best of it. Every effect was running this time, including the tumbling barrell. Oh man, fun times, fun times.

Space Loop - a.k.a. Ripsaw

If you remember my review of the Space Loop from last year, good. If you don't, read it. I mentioned how it was nothing but backflips throughout the entire ride. This year, they mixed the program up. There was a couple frontflips thrown in, and there was a fake-out of the ending. Pretty much, this squished our nuts like last year, only about five times worse. I saw a hot chick who smiled at me and gave me that look during the ride though. It's too bad that she walked away before I got off.

This one also completely switched locations. I thought it was removed for good until we found it on the other side of the midway.

Rides We Did Not Hit

White Water

It was something like sixty-five degrees out; I'm not getting wet in that.

Spin Out - a.k.a. Top Spin, a.k.a. Scantron

I found out this ride's actual name. I refuse to ride this son-of-a-bitch again, but I somehow convinced Ian to. However, the ride operator said it was closed. Damn him.

Rainbow - a.k.a. Basher

Ian, Eric, and I didn't ride this because you can't have single riders (for good reason, too), and we didn't have any tickets to waste. Damn the South Florida Fair and their money-laundering schemes.

Coaster 3

Eric went on this one with his younger brother and the brother's friend, but Ian and I were too busy doing the actual thrills to ride this one. From what I recall from last year, it was a decent thrill with a nice drop.

Pirate Ship

Waste of time.

House of Mirrors

No.

Bumper Cars

If I want whiplash, I'll ride Son Of Beast from a wheel seat.

Zipper

Sorry, but going upside-down in a jail cell isn't my thing.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, nice review! I love Fireball and Space Roller. Ever since Wade Shows came along, I noticed that Space Roller is faster and way more intense.

Spin Out is one of those rides that look like Fireball with the circular seating. I went on it, and it sort of hurts when you're upside down for a while.

I agree to the fact that Fireball has lots of Negative and Positive G-Forces.

I never went on the Mega Drop, but I never noticed a fake out. I don't look at it that much.

I would never like to go on Zipper. It DOES look like a jail cell!