TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knex or Coaster Dynamix?

Hey everyone, I been saving up cash this year ($300 from mowing the lawn) and I decided that I should buy some coaster models

I want some working models this year, so I decided that I should get the limited edition Scorpion set ($250) or a bunch of Knex kits (Depends) to build whatever I want.

Each model system has its pros and cons but I wanted to hear from you guys! What do you think? Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaster Dynamix are much more difficult to build and take much more patients. Knex are usually cheaper and easier to build with, however aren't as realistic. Personally I'd suggest Knex for custom designed rides as you can get more pieces for your money, but some people prefer CD simply because of the look and realism.

I definitely am on the side of coaster dynamics. I've always loved building their kits. I had the dragon and bought tons of add on track and support kits when they were available. I'd recommend them. They really aren't hard to build. Just build the scorpion kit first to get the hang of it and understand it, then go crazy. You'll be happy with the realism. I have a colorless and a dove coaster train that both will work on the track. Very cool kits!

Count me in for team CoasterDynamix. I've owned tons of their stuff for over a decade, and still love building with it. While I can't speak to K'nex (as I've never worked with their kits), CD has the realism that K'nex doesn't. Contrary to opinion, CoasterDynamix is very easy to build with...it's getting the track shaping to look smooth and realistic that takes time. The learning curve for building with the kit is very short and steep...you'd figure it out in no time. If I was you, I would buy the limited edition Scorpion kit (like, now...seriously, it won't be around much longer), and then use your leftover money to buy some extra parts, such as supports, bases, and/or track (it comes with 6 sections of track, but the energy provided by the 2 foot lift hill can easily get the train through 7-8 sections of track). Just my 2 cents. I love building with CoasterDynamix. It's the best coaster modelling system that's out there.