TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island Questions

printersdevil78

Hoping I can get some advice from our resident New Yorkers or those who have visited Coney Island recently. Kelly is planning a birthday trip for me there next month, and we're trying to figure out how easy it will be for us to find parking. It looks like there are a few garages in the area, but it's hard to tell whether these are hourly, residential, etc., and how quickly they may get filled up on a Saturday.

I've seen a few websites that state all-day parking is available at MCU park for $20 when the Cyclones are away (which they will be the weekend we're planning on being there), but many of those listings seem to be out of date. Is this still a viable option, and if so, would it be better than the garages?

Also, I know Coney has cleaned up its act as of late. While most of the stuff we're looking at doing is within a one-block radius of Luna Park, I'd like to have lunch or dinner at Totonno's, which is about half a mile from the park, according to Google Maps. Some of the restaurant review sites I've been on have described the neighborhood as looking a little "rough." Will it be safe for us to walk that half-mile during the day, or should we consider another means of transportation for that short side trip?

As always, thank you for any help.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason

The walk to Totonno's is safe, especially during the day time hours. Even dinner time should not be problem. The area still has an edge to it, so it is always wise not to flash money or your wallet while walking and to not display expensive jewelry. There is a NYC precinct nearby and cops are generally present patroling the area within 2 blocks of the parks/Nathans/MCU field.

The parking garages at Coney Island are not "garages" per se, but fenced gravel lots but without real lighting. They are all day, but if you use one double check the closing time with the attendant before leaving your car. MCU is the "safest" bet, paved lots with a real security guard and lighting. That was very wise of you to plan a trip when the Brooklyn Cyclones are not in town. I generally park on the street but you can generally only find a non-metered spot if you get there real early. Even metered spots fill up quickly, and you have the additional hassle of probably needing to return to your car at some point to supplement your initial payment if you we be there most of the day.

I highly recommend the Coney Island Museum ($2 suggested donation, I think) and also Sideshow by the Seashore. Try to haggle with the barker to get cheaper entry into the sideshow.

Also, if you plan to go to Nathan's, go to nathans.com and check if they still have online coupons to print and send via e-mail.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Larry! It's a happy accident that the Cyclones are out of town during our visit, but I'll take it. The museum and sideshow are both on my list, as are Luna, Deno's and Nathan's. Thanks for the heads up on the coupons, as well; I'll check the site. The only place around here that sold Nathan's hot dogs (a TCBY near my work) took them off the menu in January, so I'm looking forward to getting my fix!

and I forgot to mention that Grimaldi's (another famous NYC pizza place located under the Brooklyn Bridge) is opening up a second location on Surf Avenue (the main strip where the amusements are located). I can not vouch if it will be as good as their original locale.

Edited by larrygator

Thanks again, Larry! Since the Grimaldi's on Front Street was one of the two restaurants I had to cut from the itenerary due to logistics (Peter Luger was the other; I'll get there eventually), that's especially good news. We're talking about doing both Totonno's and Grimaldi's at Coney now... with Nathan's thrown in for good measure, naturally.