TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legoland Discovery Centre in Toronto

I searched and didn't find this yet, but it appears that Legoland Discovery Centre is being built in Vaughan Mills Mall, just north of Toronto - right beside Canada's Wonderland. It is replacing the already gone Nascar Speed Park. I think this is a great addition to the mall and a good way for Merlin to test out the Canadian Market. Who knows, maybe a full scale Legoland could be in the future.

Legoland Canada Link

Here is the text

Canada’s first Legoland Discovery Centre will open next spring at the Vaughan Mills shopping centre.

Leisure giant Merlin Entertainments announced Thursday the $12-million centre will be its first foray into Canada. Construction on the 34,000-square-foot site will begin this summer.

The indoor mini-amusement park will feature Lego rides, classes from a Lego master model builder and a 4D cinema where action is accompanied by wind, rain, lightning and snow. Kids will be able to play with — and parents buy — the blocks and accessories.

A “miniland exhibit” will feature landmark buildings from across the GTA and Ontario. A contest will be held in the fall to find a local master builder to design the exhibit.

The Lego models for Vaughan Mills will be made in Merlin studios around the world and shipped to the mall north of Toronto during construction.

The centre is aimed at families with children aged 3 to 10. (Adults should be accompanied by kids to get in.)

The addition is important to Vaughan Mills because it will “add to our entertainment offering, broaden our tourism draw and ultimately enhance the family experience,” said mall marketing director Jamie MacLean.

Similar centres have been successful in Europe and the U.S., said Glenn Earlam, managing director of Merlin’s midway attractions operating group. “I know people will love it here in Canada.”

Vaughan Mills was an ideal location for the British-based company’s first attraction in Canada because the mall is popular with visitors and close to downtown Toronto, 32 kilometres away. Also, many families with young children live in the area.

It will be a great addition to the province’s attractions, said Tourism Minister Michael Chan. “This is a great entertainment venue that will generate jobs and growth.”

Indoor attractions are a key part of Merlin’s growth strategy. It has identified two other potential sites in Canada for Legoland Discovery Centres — shopping centres owned and operated by Ivanhoé Cambridge, which also owns Vaughan Mills.

There are currently seven Legoland Discovery Centres worldwide, in the United States, Germany and England.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I wouldn't count on this turning into a full scale Lego Park. Merlin is focusing on finishing Legoland Malaysia and starting on Legoland Japan which tenetively opens in 2016.

These discovery centers have been popping up all over North America the past several years. These usually consist of a dark ride, mini land, Lego factory, and 4D theater along with other things.

When I first read about this the only thing I could think of was "A Legoland would have been PERFECT for the now closed Ontario Place!"

They already have some rides in place, a popular water park, located in the heart of the city, right next to a growing airport and plenty of room for things like the mini cities and displays they build.

I'm also pretty sure there used to be a big lego fun centre in the Atlantis buildings.