TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland on Black Friday

rcdude

Today, I recieved a call from some relatives who are going to be visiting me over Thanksgiving. Knowing that I am the most knowledgeable one in the family about theme parks, they asked if it would be a good idea to go to Disneyland on the day after Thanksgiving since that is the only day they would be able to go and it has been quite some time since they last visited the park (I don't remeber how long, but between 2 and 5 years). I told them the following:

1. It is Black Friday, so there will probably be people everywhere. Since I have never gone to a theme park on Black Friday before, I don't know whether or not it affects crowd levels and if so, in what way.

2. Three of the four AP levels are blocked out for this day, so it is unlikely that the park will be flooded with AP holders as it is on many Fridays.

3. All schools that I know of in this area have that day off school, so it may increase crowds.

I told them that, by my best guess, it would probably be about the same crowd level as a normal weekend: crowded, but bearable. I told them that the park is open from 8 A.M. until 12 P.M., and that if they went for the entire time they would definitely be able to do everything major. However, they aren't sure if they want to go for more than twelve hours, or whether or not they'll go to both parks.

My question is this: Is my prediction accurate, slightly off, or way off, based on experience at other parks open on Black Friday, and if it is incorrect, how crowded or empty is the park usually on this day? Also, is it feasible to do both parks in one day, or should we stick with one?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as an year long (No block-out dates) AP holder myself, I can assure you that both parks will be very busy.

That's not to say that you and your family can't have a great time, while the parks are packed to capacity. As the Alveys always suggest, your best bet is to arrive at opening. If your there at opening you'll get on many rides with relatively short lines, and more importantly you can start to get your 'Fastpasses' for the day. Though it's a hassel, If your interest is the rides, you should jump back and forth between the parks (that's if you decide to attend both parks, which you should in my opinion) You can get a new fastpass every hour or two, and the best thing is that even though the fastpass says your to use it between lets say (10:00-11:00am) it doesn't matter, because they will accept it at anytime during the day. (That is after the start time of 10:00am etc.) You don't have to feel that you must ride that ride between that time frame. I've gotten a Space Mountain fastpass that said I had to use it between 10:30-11:30am, and instead used it at 9:00pm at night, it's never been an issue.

So don't worry about going on BlackFriday you'll have a great time! With the great fastpass system, you'll do just fine.

Thanks for all the advice. Despite the general consensus that the parks would be packed, my cousins insisted on going so we went anyway. We went to both parks. I found it to be empty for about the first two and a half hours, then very crowded between 11 and 9, and empty again after the fireworks ended. Managed to do 25 rides including all the majors except Grizzly River Run (broke down, but it was cold anyway), a handful of minors (Small World, a couple Fantasyland dark rides, Autopia, and a lap on the Disneyland Railroad), Captain EO (which I hadn't seen before...it was weird), and saw Murphy the Fantasmic Dragon for the first time. Longest line was about an hour and a half for Toy Story Midway Mania, and used fastpass on Indiana Jones, California Screamin', and Soarin'. Rode Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear twice, everything else we did once. Overall, a really good day given the crowds.

Based on my experience, if there is anyone out there considering going on this particular day in the future, I would say you should go if you are willing to spend the whole day there or go early, leave around noon, and come back around eight. If you are only able to come in the middle of the day, or have less than 8 hours, stay away.

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Like I said, as long as you follow the Alveys rule of arriving early, you would have a great day. The fast-pass system at Disneyland/DCA works great. (And you don't even have to pay extra for it....at least not yet) Because even on crazy busy days, I've always had a great time with my relatives from out-of-town.

Post pictures if you have them!