TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: XVII - 5-21-07

Monday, May 21st was our high schools (Plymouth Canton Educational Park) annual trip to Cedar Point for physics. This trip involves gathering data to do a plethora of physics-related problems in anticipation for our cumulative final this Thursday. I thought this day wouldn't be a whole lot of fun, but it turned out to be a nice, if not a bit chilly, day.

// Start boring report, scroll down for pics!

Our physics problems ranged from the period of the Carousel to the height of the ferris wheel to the speed of Gemini after it's first drop. As you can imagine, gathering data took quite a long time, and it took a little under 4 hours (10-2) to get everything we needed. By this time, my group and I wanted to sit down, so we decided on Johnny Rockets for lunch. A bit pricey, but my St. Louis burger was delicious.

My group went off to ride Raptor and left me with the bags and packets, so I shoved them into a locker and went off on my own. I really wanted to get on Magnum a few times and did so - 1 front row ride and 2 1-3 rides in under a half hour. Not bad at all. Maggie was a lot smoother than I seem to remember!

Wondering to the back of the park, I took a quick lap on Mean Streak, which had a 20 minute wait. I actually got air in the front seat of the Gold train, 3 times, which is a first for MS. The only reason I wanted to ride was to catch a look at Maverick on the lift, and look I did. What a nice looking coaster, I can't wait till it opens. Of course, I took my ride on the Maverick test seat. I'm a big guy (6'1",235~), but fit with room to spare. Bonus!

Heading back towards the front, I had to try the MF test seat, as I've been borderline for the past year or so. Pleased to find out I fit nicely, still snug but enough to get about an inch of slack. An hour and a half wait killed whatever idea I had of riding it.

Walked on Iron Dragon, halfway surprised to see an empty, broken down Dragster Q. I would later find out that after running nicely in the morning, it went down around 2 to not reopen again that day. Bummer for that.

It was right around 4 when I entered the Raptor queue, with a posted wait of about a half hour. The line never stopped moving, and it ended up being right around 25 minutes to ride. Unfortunately, the water machine took 2 dollars hostage from me when I wanted a water (3 dollars, ouch, but I was thirsty!), and it wouldn't give change for my 5. Oh well, life happens. Raptor was good, but since riding Montu, Raptor just doesn't do it anymore!

Blue Streak had 0 wait, so I hopped on that and proceeded to get 4 rides altogether. Man, is there violent air on that ride. I counted 16 seconds where my behind was NOT in the seat. Painful air, but it was alright.

At this time, I didn't know what to do, as I had around 45 minutes to kill, so I headed back and got 2 more Magnum rides. They were excellent, not too much to say about them. Guess I really like Magnum.

The day was coming to a close, and I headed out to the parking lot. On the way out, I noticed a banner that said "XVII", with the mantra of "17 coasters, one park". Didn't think CP was going to go back to the "lots of coasters in one park" angle, but at least the sign looked nice.

// end boring report, here's some pictures!

First view of CP! WOO!

Welcome to Cedar Point!

TTD and PT off in the distance

I really like how this photo turned out.

// obligatory Raptor loop picture

Raptor zero-g roll!

Random Wildcat shot.

Mantis. Loop.

MF sign, last overbank.

Again, really liked this picture, yellow MF train.

TTD WAS open today.

Quiet path heading towards the back of the park, very quiet, very peaceful.

**WARNING! NERDY MAVERICK PHOTOS AHEAD!**

*drool*

I think there might be something missing.

A crane and track (or lack thereof) behind supports.

Big missing track section.

Mmmm. Hill.

Through-the-trees-dramatic train shot.

It's gonna be amazing when it opens, let me tell you.

I love this picture. Probably my favorite from the bunch.

XVII!

A long day and a thumbs up to Cedar Point! See you in June!

-nesdude

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new banners that they put up around the park this year. Nice pictures. I think this year the Magnum is giving out the best rides ever, it is amazing how a 18 year old ride can perform like it does.

I highly recommend the tuna salad sandwiches from Johnny Rocket's, they're very good on a hot day and quite good.