TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme park tour '77 by AW principals

I thought I would add a topic that might be of interest. A whirlwind tour of a dozen theme parks in summer 1977 by Aero World principals.

The tour was made feasible by Eastern Airlines (defunct) special $200 ticket that allowed the passenger to go anywhere on Eastern's routes visiting many cities but always going through Atlanta, the airlines hub city.

We started at WDW, which at that time only had the Magic Kingdom. We stayed in the "treehouses." Main Street and the castle was grander of course, being used to Disneyland. Impressed, MK set the standard for other parks to live up to.

Next was Six Flags over Texas, closer in scope to AW. No major coaster then except one I can't remember the name. I don't think the Cyclone had been built yet. Oil Derrick tower was nice. Not feasible in our park due to height limits.

Six Flags over Georgia visit is cloudy in my memory, plantation columns lining the entrance. Nice flume ride. Liked Fried Chicken restaurant.

Six Flags over Mid-America had a big out & back wooden coaster in the rear of the park. I think it was called Screaming Eagle??? I liked this SF park best, maybe because it was newer.

Opryland had several nice shows, due to music theme. All I remember of the rides was the flume. Actually, we were more impressed with the opening Opryland Hotel, then at a huge cost of $25 million.

Worlds of Fun in Kansas City was themed well, I liked the Scandinavian section, river boat (from MGM sale) and overall feel of the park. Park was built for only $20 million by a local sports team owner.

Kings Dominion was next with its Effiel Tower, well done entrance with shops and restaurants. There was a large wooden coaster with a racing duel theme located in the rear of the park. Carousel was nice. Park was featured in movie "Rollercoaster"

Carowinds was a smaller park, nicely done though with a small monorail.

Busch "The Old Country" in Williamsburg situated in a forest was the most beautiful park we saw. Liked the theming and atmosphere. Beer Garden was great, we planned one at AW. Train with an European theme was similar to AW planned Orient Express. Name change came later, now is Busch Gardens.

Great Adventure was a disappointment. Not many rides. Too much money spent on "dead" structures and detailing. Two developers had built it, future Six Flags purchase turned it around. Of course, we were two developers too.

HerseyPark was fun, but poorly designed IMO. In fairness it had started as a picnic park. All I really remember is the chocolate factory dark ride and kisses street lights. The park manager showed us around, we talked about HP investing and managing AW.

Kings Island had a Coney Island section with a wooden coaster, but I liked KD better. However, we were there for opening of a great coaster, The Beast. Best wooden coaster I rode during the tour.

We were getting tired now and the parks were beginning to blurr into each other. But the last park, was Cedar Point, very impressive ride lineup. A new coaster, The Gemini was opening. We met with the owner and tried to see if there was any interest in CP becoming a financial partner in AW. (Today CF, Inc. owns Knotts Berry Farm)

I guess the cost of so much flying around today would be very expensive. But I'm sure a tour now would be as much fun!

On later trips, we visited Great America SC, Canada's Wonderland, Marine World Africa USA, Magic Mountain and Disneyland many times. I loved EPCOT Center in 1982. Liked MGM/Disney Studios. So-so about Animal Kingdom, thought Busch Tampa park still better.

And Legoland, the theme park that did get built in San Diego - bittersweet visit in 1999.

Meyers Jacobsen, designer

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic