TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Virtual Choir

steel

So I have no idea how much interest this will get. Probably none. That's okay, I tried.

Alright, quick introduction (exposition is key, you know). Eric Whitacre emerged at the end of the 1990s as a force in modern classical composition. His use of minor seconds and other varieties of unresolved dissonance quickly became his signature. Within a decade, he has risen to a level of near-God-like fan worship. And he deserves every bit of it. His music is exciting, meaningful, and incredibly beautiful.

Whitacre composes for concert band, string ensemble, accompanied choir, and a capella choir. He also wrote the score for the sort of techno opera Paridise Lost. His most famous stuff, though is for a capella choir.

Many Whitacre fans consider Sleep to be his quintessential work (I among them). In April, I sang Sleep in an octet for state music contest after four months of preparation. Sleep has an interesting story. It was originally intended to be a setting of Robert Frost's Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening (These woods are lovely, dark and deep,/But I have promises to keep/And miles to go before I sleep,/And miles to go before I sleep.), but legal complications kept Whitacre from publishing it. So he asked a friend, Charles Anthony Silvestri, to write an entirely new poem to replace Stopping By Woods, which he did. This is Sleep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xn_Qo_WXMg

The evening hangs beneath the moon

A silver thread on darkened dune

With closing eyes and resting head

I know that sleep is coming soon

Upon my pillow, safe in bed

A thousand pictures fill my head

I cannot sleep, my minds a-flight

And yet, my limbs seem made of lead

If there are noises in the night

A frightening shadow, flickering light

Then I surrender unto sleep

Where clouds of dream give second sight

What dreams may come, both dark and deep

Of flying wing and soaring leap

As I surrender unto sleep

As I surrender unto sleep

So there you have it. Now,onward my friends, into the dark.

A couple days ago, Mr. Whitacre posted a fantastic idea on his outstanding blog (www.soaringleap.com). Create a virtual choir. Upload a video of yourself singing your part of Sleep onto YouTube and they will be combined into one massive Internet choir. Later, if all goes well, Whitacre will compose a piece specifically for this virtual choir and it will be premiered on YouTube.

This is an incredible opportunity for anyone at all interested in singing or choral music. I'm really excited about it, and I would love to recruit some of you fellows.

Complete directions are available at Whitacre's blog (www.soaringleap.com). Have fun, kids.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...